GPRS and tether - Samsung x427m

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 12, 2005 12:54:56 PM

Customer service seems to have no idea.

New GSM basic phone - Samsung x427m. If I press the "Cingular" button,
it appears to search for GPRS but then says "no response from
network".

So.. is there a coverage map / info showing where gprs is available? I
can't seem to find it on the Cingular site.

Then, assuming it is available in my area, what do I need to connect
this phone to my Windows XP laptop and do email/ basic web browsing?
It would seem from reading the site, I can do it "pay as I go" or get
a MediaNet package of data bytes.

Sorry if this is a basic question - pointers appreciated. Customer
service says I can get email and web browse on the phone. Well, of
course I can get email (using the phone number as the email address),
and I should be able to web browse if the gprs network were available.
But I would like to (on occasion, light useage) be able to use my
laptop.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
August 12, 2005 7:51:15 PM

<http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_availability&gt;

>Then, assuming it is available in my area, what do I need to connect
>this phone to my Windows XP laptop and do email/ basic web browsing?
>It would seem from reading the site, I can do it "pay as I go" or get
>a MediaNet package of data bytes.

Correct. Make sure that one or the other is enabled on your account. DON'T
tell Cingular that you're going to tether a laptop, or you'll be steered to a
much more expensive plan -- just say you're going to use your phone.

>Sorry if this is a basic question - pointers appreciated. Customer
>service says I can get email and web browse on the phone. Well, of
>course I can get email (using the phone number as the email address),
>and I should be able to web browse if the gprs network were available.
>But I would like to (on occasion, light useage) be able to use my
>laptop.

For that you'll need a method of connection: cable, IrDA, or Bluetooth.
See my webpages below.