Do I need a Hardware DVD Accelerator

G

I would like to install a DVD in my 1.3 Athlon, 1 Gig PC-133 RAM
The MoBo has onboard 128-bit Graphics Accelerator but it will also support Hardware DVD Accelerator.
1. Do I need a Hardware DVD Accelerator when I install the Drive?
2. Is it possible to (easily) Copy DVD’s?

After easing her over, she asked me nervously; “You’re not Geek are you?”

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
1. No you do not need a Hardware DVD decoder. Your fast CPU will handle most of the decoding, so it is unneccessary. If you have less than a 500mhz CPU, then you should consider buying a DVD decoder/accelerator.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
2. What do you mean??
Did you want to RIP DVDs onto your harddrive and then burn them onto a CD-R (or a DVD-R if you have a DVD burner) and then later sell them to people illegally???
Shor answer is, "Yes"....but be careful what you do, I am watching you (and so are the FBI=)

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

I’m horrified at your assumption! Of course I would only be making back up copies for home use!

BTW according to the news this evening, the FBI is busy looking for hundreds of their own computers they have lost, misplaced or was stolen from them. They need those computers back to trace their missing guns….

Back to my question… so with a standard CD burner and a DVD drive, I could THEORETICALY make a mirror copy of a DVD on a CD-R?

After easing her over, she asked me nervously; “You’re not Geek are you?”

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
yeah, you can make a mirror copy of the VOB files if you have like 10-15 CDRs for every movie you plan to make illegal copies of =) j/p

G

If you grab the DivX codecs you can encode your DVDs to mpeg4 format, which would allow for you to fit a DVD onto a conventional CD. The will be a slight loss in quality depending on what bitrates you choose, as well as the fact that you will only have stereo sound, as opposed to the original 5.1 on a DVD. But hey, you can fit the DVD onto a CD then ;) But remember...no distribution, LOL ;)

As a side note, what I usually do is to use a pretty high bitrate and just encode a DVD movie onto 2 CDs. There is basically negligible loss in quality then.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Fatburger is right, it takes like 2 hours to compress a full VOB movie using FlasMPEG.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
I guess my comp is just fast all-around...not just the CPU =)

G

so it is my understanding that there is not a way to simply copy the 10010000 01000011 1100000 from the DVD to the CD without messing with them?

“Ooommmmm” She moaned in my ear, “You must be overclocking...”

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Yup, it just wouldn't fit on a single CDR unless you compressed it.