Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Laptops
  • Desktops
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2012 6:25:48 AM

I have been planning on building a desktop for about a month now, but figured that it would be more practical (although not as easy on the wallet) to get a laptop, while on the other hand, a desktop would be more powerful.

I am honestly torn between the two.

Also, how much more powerful will the desktop be compared to the laptop?
I play a lot of:
WoW
League of Legends
Diablo III
GTA
Skyrim
Dirt series

The Specs of the desktop I would build are:

Haf XM Case
Samsung Spinpoint 1tb Hard Drive
Asus Crosshair V Formula Motherboard
AMD FX-8150 CPU
GTX 570 GPU
G-Skill RipJaw 16gb DDR3 RAM
Corsair pro series 750w PSU
ASUS VW246H monitor

The laptop is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230408

The portability of the laptop is great, but the fact that it will become outdated faster than the desktop (Even though I have a somewhat outdated GPU)

I will be going to college next year and will be able to get a cheap netbook if I need one.

Both are at or under $1500

More about : case laptop desktop

June 29, 2012 6:52:28 AM

My vote is for a desktop, also why the FX-8150?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2012 6:56:06 AM

the link to the laptop didn't work for me anyway.

I recommend a desktop and a net book.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 6:57:43 AM

Brmiller13 said:
I have been planning on building a desktop for about a month now, but figured that it would be more practical (although not as easy on the wallet) to get a laptop, while on the other hand, a desktop would be more powerful.

I am honestly torn between the two.

Also, how much more powerful will the desktop be compared to the laptop?
I play a lot of:
WoW
League of Legends
Diablo III
GTA
Skyrim
Dirt series

The Specs of the desktop I would build are:

Haf XM Case
Samsung Spinpoint 1tb Hard Drive
Asus Crosshair V Formula Motherboard
AMD FX-8150 CPU
GTX 570 GPU
G-Skill RipJaw 16gb DDR3 RAM
Corsair pro series 750w PSU
ASUS VW246H monitor

The laptop is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230408

The portability of the laptop is great, but the fact that it will become outdated faster than the desktop (Even though I have a somewhat outdated GPU)

I will be going to college next year and will be able to get a cheap netbook if I need one.

Both are at or under $1500

links for the laptop ain't really working out for me.

but regardless, as you may already be aware, the laptop's gonna cost you more to get a performance up to par with your desktop setup. granted, your list of games there aren't really that hardware intensive, especially at around say 720p/768p at medium - low on a laptop, but still, for gaming, i strongly recommend you getting a gaming desktop, and a cheap laptop for classes. they can perform a lot more for a lot less compared to a laptop.

here's something to consider to make things easier for your wallet:

CPU: if your only concern is gaming, grab an Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge i5, i3, or even a Pentium. or maybe a Phenom II 955BE, 960T, or the FX-4100, if you feel like overclocking on a budget. if they don't cost you a bit more with a lot more performance, they'll cost you less with equal performance with the FX-8150.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

higher end FX series are bad with games, but are great for rendering, video editing, or any other applications that fully utilizes a CPU's cores and threads.

RAM: you can tone that down to 4-8GB unless you're running certain applications that use up a lot of RAM, like photoshop, video editing, etc.

PSU: follow my suggestion, and the most you'll need is 600W. keep the PSU if you're planning to overclock really high, or are planning to run you 570's in SLI.

GPU: the 570's a nice card nowadays when there's a sale, but if you can't find one, there's the 560TI, which while performs much less than the 570, is pretty much more than you need for your games, especially at it's price. spend a bit more and you can get the 7850; performs just as good as the 570 in some cases, but needs less power, hence drop that PSU to a 550W.
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:02:02 AM

A question you have to ask yourself, "Do I ever play computer games other than at home?"
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:03:20 AM

Quote:
CPU: if your only concern is gaming, grab an Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge i5, i3, or even a Pentium. or maybe a Phenom II 955BE, 960T, or the FX-4100, if you feel like overclocking on a budget. if they don't cost you a bit more with a lot more performance, they'll cost you less with equal performance with the FX-8150.

I am actually trying to improve the build now, I have been looking at the Intel i5-3570k and an Asus Sabertooth Z77.

Quote:

The laptop was the newegg version of the Asus G75

Quote:
PSU: follow my suggestion, and the most you'll need is 600W. keep the PSU if you're planning to overclock really high, or are planning to run you 570's in SLI.

I wasn't planning on going crazy with overclocking, but in the future I might do SLI.

Thank you for the replies!
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:11:56 AM

Newegg version of G75?!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:14:05 AM

Brmiller13 said:
Quote:

I am actually trying to improve the build now, I have been looking at the Intel i5-3570k and an Asus Sabertooth Z77.

Quote:

The laptop was the newegg version of the Asus G75

Quote:

I wasn't planning on going crazy with overclocking, but in the future I might do SLI.

Thank you for the replies!

if you're not going crazy with the overclocking, try and see if you can find a p8z77 series with two PCIe running at 16x/16x or 8x/8x for a lot less. you can skip the Sabertooth series this way, unless you're real worried about the motherboard failing, and really willing to pay extra for that 5-years warranty. if you're looking at a 3570K, i doubt you'll want to OC beyond 4.4-4.5 and see those temps jump high.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:14:25 AM

Quote:
Newegg version of G75?!

Go to Newegg.com and search Asus G75 and it will come up, it is the one for $1449
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:18:42 AM

The $1449 is the basic version and the $2169 is the upgraded version. They are not newegg's version. Check the official spec from ASUS. When you said newegg version, I thought newegg is selling ASUS G series laptop with gimped GPU again.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:20:02 AM

Quote:
if you're looking at a 3570K, i doubt you'll want to OC beyond 4.4-4.5 and see those temps jump high.

Would a different CPU be better than this for the cost and my personal usage?
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:20:46 AM

No, and the GTX 670m is not a great mobile GPU.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:23:16 AM

Yes, that is the one. And what is wrong with the 670m?

I know it's not the most powerful mobile GPU on the market but it is still in the higher tier
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:23:57 AM

Do you want to get the best for your budget, or do you want to save some money and get a good rig for your needs?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:25:47 AM

Brmiller13 said:
Quote:
if you're looking at a 3570K, i doubt you'll want to OC beyond 4.4-4.5 and see those temps jump high.

Would a different CPU be better than this for the cost and my personal usage?

the 3570K's a fine performer at 4.3 to 4.4 Ghz. it's highly recommended. the rise in temps happens once you raise the voltage.

gaming nowadays are more dependent on the graphics card, and a decent quad core, at a stock 3.0ghz will do you fine for several years for the few games that do depend on the CPU.

if you need the extra speed for certain applications, 4.3ghz or so is a decent overclock.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:25:56 AM

Quote:
Do you want to get the best for your budget, or do you want to save some money and get a good rig for your needs?

I need something to fit my needs and to satisfy me if and when my needs do change.
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:29:09 AM

It's just that the price tag of $400 more expansive than Lenovo Y580 with a GTX 660m with little fps gain is IMO difficult to swallow. That $400 can give yo a 256GB SSD upgrade and either IPS screen or other peripheral.

The G75 is not upgradeable on graphics department even it use MXM GPU because the chassis won't fit standard MXM GPU.

If you don't ever play computer games outside your house, do not get gaming laptop.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:33:09 AM

Quote:
It's just that the price tag of $400 more expansive than Lenovo Y580 with a GTX 660m with little fps gain is IMO difficult to swallow. That $400 can give yo a 256GB SSD upgrade and either IPS screen or other peripheral.

Then if I did choose the laptop, would the g75 on Best Buy (G75VW-BBK5) be a better decision for the money? It has 4gb less ram, but has 2 500gb hard drives.
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:34:38 AM

ASUS G75 is just not good in the price/performance ratio department.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:34:44 AM

Quote:
If you don't ever play computer games outside your house, do not get gaming laptop.a

I do sometimes take the computer out and go to lan parties and things of that nature
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:38:21 AM

Ok, that would justify the need of a laptop that can handle games.
m
l
June 29, 2012 7:47:44 AM

Quote:
Ok, that would justify the need of a laptop that can handle games.

In that case, then between the one at Best Buy and the one at Newegg, which one would be the best value?

I would still have to pay the tax on the Best buy one, which is about 9%, which would bring the total to about $1,350 compared to Newegg's $1,450 which comes with the Everki Backpack?
m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 7:57:23 AM

You may want to get this:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9130-clevo-p151em1-p-434...

Upgrade to i7-3610m, downgrade to 1333MHz RAM and get W7 HP 64 OEM for $1199, leaves you plenty of money for an SSD upgrade.

If you are not getting the MSi laptop in the recommendation, then get the one with 2 HDD since HDD is expensive and RAM is cheap.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2012 2:07:17 PM

If the laptop is the direction you are going, then I agree with Pyree on the Sager from Xoticpc (except for the memory downgrade, unless its a budget issue) slap a 120GB mSATA SSD drive in it from Newegg you have a nice laptop. 120GB SSD for OS and some apps and 500Gb HDD for storage.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The GTX 670M is a good mobile gaming GPU price/performance wise.

m
l
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2012 2:24:27 PM

Actually, the cheaper way for storage would be getting the $15 ODD caddy and slot the HDD in there and grab a 2.5" SSD from newegg and put it in the HDD bay. Of course you won't have ODD, but it hardly matters right, now that games use download for distribution. I am not convince the faster RAM will make difference worth $50 after all those benchmark showing RAM speed hardly makes a difference for Intel CPU as long as it is running 2 channel.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 30, 2012 6:34:13 AM

Pyree said:
Actually, the cheaper way for storage would be getting the $15 ODD caddy and slot the HDD in there and grab a 2.5" SSD from newegg and put it in the HDD bay. Of course you won't have ODD, but it hardly matters right, now that games use download for distribution. I am not convince the faster RAM will make difference worth $50 after all those benchmark showing RAM speed hardly makes a difference for Intel CPU as long as it is running 2 channel.

the mSATA SSD drive doesn't take up the HDD bay, the stock 500gb drive is still there. the Sager has mSATA bay/slot for the suggested 120G SSD. So the OP still has optical. in a way I kinda see your point on the RAM, but on a mobile platform I would take every performance gain I could get within budget. The price seems high for the 1600 ram, so maybe the downgrade is reasonable... ok I concede the point to you. go with 1333 ram.
m
l
June 30, 2012 7:05:21 AM

Digitalstorm!?
m
l
June 30, 2012 7:13:11 AM

Get an origin.
Eon-15s.
m
l
June 30, 2012 7:35:35 PM

Desktop, desktop!

Unless you're "gaming on the go" A LOT, I don't think it's worth it.
m
l
!