Computer not recognizing Radeon in PCIe slot

JeremyH

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hello,
Hey guys. My friend and I went to micro center last night and bought the same computer parts: Radeon HD 6850, i5 processor, 600W power supply, ASRock Z77 Pro 4 motherboard, 8GB Ram. Our Motherboard does not recognize the Graphics card in the PCIe slot. We set the adapter setting to use the PCIe slot and the mother board utility shows nothing when there is the graphics card plugged into it. I have tried plugging in multiple Graphics cards into the PCIe slot and the motherboard still does not recognize it. We build two identical computers so we know it is not a hardware issue. Please help. Anything would be much appreciated. Thanks

InvalidError

Titan

Does the graphic card work in one PC but not the other or neither works in either? If you get no graphics on only one of the motherboards, you might have a bad motherboard.

JeremyH

Honorable
May 5, 2012
That's what I thought, but I built two identical PC's and neither of them recognize hardware in the PCI-E slots. I also plugged in an old PCI network card into both computers and the motherboard didnt recognize that either. The two graphics cards that I have tried are a Radeon HD 6850 and my old Nvidia GeForce 250.

I really just don't see buying two dud motherboards, but I guess it is possible.

InvalidError

Titan

It could happen if it were a batch production defect, in which case there may be a streak of hundreds of motherboards from the same factory/production line with the same problem.

A little hard to imagine such an obvious flaw (motherboards not detecting any add-in boards) getting through quality control but I suppose it can happen if the production manager(s) get too comfortable with their process and start cutting corners or bending rules on checks.

You have all the power connectors properly attached? Are the boards mounted in the cases? If so, have you tried to boot the boards out of the case?

InvalidError

Titan

Exactly what it says, you put your components together on a table with anti-static bag under it and see if that changes anything.

If it works on the bench but fails in the case, you may have something in your case shorting something on the board.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

define "correct slot"

user manual:
1. In single VGA card mode, it is recommended to install a PCI Express
x16 graphics card on PCIE2 slot.

the top slot above the cmos battery.

Xfire68

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I am having the same issue with a HD 4890. The on-chip GPU on the 3570k runs through the HDMI but the MB won't recognize the Card???

My power supply also now has a hiss it did not have on the old system?

I to bought my MB, ram and cpu at Microcenter yesterday. May have to make a run back to return it for the Gigabyte..