Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 631 bottleneck a 6950?

Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2012 11:56:45 AM

Hi

Looking to buy a real budget build. Question is will a Athlon 631 bottleneck a Gigabyte 6950??
I can pick up a athlon for 49 bucks and a 6950 for 100 both brand new.

Also whats a recommended P/Supply wattage....2x HDDS, 1 x optical. 8gb ram and of course the above mentioned...Nothing else of note really. Probably wont OC that much if at all
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 1:12:46 PM

Brad002 said:
Hi

Looking to buy a real budget build. Question is will a Athlon 631 bottleneck a Gigabyte 6950??
I can pick up a athlon for 49 bucks and a 6950 for 100 both brand new.

Also whats a recommended P/Supply wattage....2x HDDS, 1 x optical. 8gb ram and of course the above mentioned...Nothing else of note really. Probably wont OC that much if at all

It may bottleneck, however I'm not sure if 631s are OC'able.

Also, you do know that the 631 is an FM processor, there for you will need an FM motherboard instead of an AM motherboard.

600w should be more than enough
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 1:16:03 PM

If you aren't going to overclock it, then the Athlon will bottleneck the HD 6950 rather significantly in some games.That's not to say that the Athlon isn't up to the task.You just need to push it a little bit (3.2 ghz should be enough).

Power supply wattage doesn't really matter much.If it's a high quality unit it's good enough.
This is pretty much the best "budget" (<50$) power supply you can buy right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It has enough power for your system even if its overclocked with added voltage.
!