BWLDLL

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
Hi, I was directed to this site by a friend, here is my problem, my bro and I want to build a nice PC so we can use it in college for all of his engineering work now that hes working on his masters, basically a buncho annoying programs, but he also wants to be able to play games, listen to music, maybe do all at the same time and still be functioning....yet both of us don't really know the insides of computers at all......anyone suggest some top of the line parts, the only thing we for sure are using is some Corsair Memory RAM....

What's your budget? What engineering programs is your brother going to use? Do you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse? Do you have any other components already (CDRW, DVDRW, FDD, etc.)?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
the only thing we for sure are using is some Corsair Memory RAM....
I wouldn't be too sure... There are plenty of cheaper alternatives that perform just as well, if not better.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

Unless he already has the RAM. If that is the case, then I hope it's compatible.

BWLDLL

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
well its more...my dad is an employee at corsair memory =P so just supporting the company. =) kk ill have the info in a few hours, bro is at the gym

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bwldll on 08/03/05 04:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BWLDLL

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
This is Brian his older brother. I am looking at ASUS boards right now but I want to try the dual SLI video card setup since the video card costs so much for a really good one. I will be running PSPICE and some other circuit simulation programs. I also want to play some graphics intensive games like Elder Scrolls IV. Any help would be appreciated.

Budget? If you want to leave out RAM prices, then let us know and we won't add those to price/system recommendations...

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
We need a budget to give you the recommendations. But for mobos be sure to look at the DFI and Epox nforce 4 ultra.
You'll probably will save enough money by going with the nforce 4 ultra chipset instead of the SLI one. With that money you'll get the next video card up. anything above a Geforce 6600 will be good enough for what you'll be doing.

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>