Computer keeps restarting before post

Status
Not open for further replies.

owenattard

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
hello yesterday i used my pc normally and today when i tried turning it on it keeps restarting before it posts anything. I tried booting up with only the mobo, cpu, psu and one ram . i tried both ram since i have two still it would not turn it keeps turning on and then restarting. The fans when truned on spin around for few mili seconds and the turn off and the process starts again. the lights on the motherboard are light also. Also this is my first build so dont have spares.

My specs are
MOBO : Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
psu: XFX Core Edition Pro 850W
Graphics card : sapphire HD Radeon 7950 3gb
Ram : Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
harddisk: WD 500 gb

Curtis772

Honorable
May 21, 2012
After resetting CMOS did you 'load optimized defaults' in the bios?

Just to confirmed, you tried with just the psu, 1 stick of mem, cpu, cpu fan, and gpu only? No other fans or the HHD. does it POST?

If you can get your hands on another PSU I'd defiantly give it a try.

owenattard

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
it is not even starting :S it just turns on the cpu fans turn and then it resets with out any image displayed and ye i tried removing everything just leaving those things now i am think that it may be a psu problem cause last monday whenever i played a game the whole screens turn black and no signal is displayed :S and now it wont even start

Curtis772

Honorable
May 21, 2012

XFX's site states their PSU's have a 5 year warrenty (under the Features tab). I'd give them a call.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Power-Supply/XFX/Pro-Series/ProSeries-850W-PSU/850W-Core-Edition-Full-Wired-Bronze.aspx

Curtis772

Honorable
May 21, 2012
It sounds like the PSU if the rig will not power up. If you have a buddy that will allow you test your PSU in his rig or his PSU inyour rig, you can give that a try. But in my opinion it's the PSU.

Disconnect the mobo's power and reset switches; they or their lines might be shorted. See if you can then start it by momentarily shorting the power switch pins with a screwdriver or paperclip.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
This is likely a long shot, but what this sounds like is a short. Make sure that the only motherboard mounts in the case are the ones the motherboard screws into and that there is no metal touching the board. This is a long shot but it sounds like something I dealt with several years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.