Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What's up with AMD cores

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 2:48:18 PM

Hello there.
So i've been rading this forum for a while now, and number of times i came across people saying that new AMD CPUs (like trinity) have integer cores or core modules, and that these integer modules don't equal to actual four cores, although they said to have 4 cores by manufacturer. So i'm bit lost here...When did cores stopped being cores and whats the difference between them and integer cores?
Thanks for reading

More about : amd cores

Best solution

November 5, 2012 3:07:37 PM

butremor said:
Hello there.
So i've been rading this forum for a while now, and number of times i came across people saying that new AMD CPUs (like trinity) have integer cores or core modules, and that these integer modules don't equal to actual four cores, although they said to have 4 cores by manufacturer. So i'm bit lost here...When did cores stopped being cores and whats the difference between them and integer cores?
Thanks for reading

Until the release of Bulldozer, a core means (a integer core + a FP (floating point) core). For eg: - AMD Phenom II X4 9xx have 4 (integer + FP cores)
So you can see 4 cores in windows task manager.

Let's take core i3, which has only 2 cores, but it's displayed as 4 cores in task manager, because it has Hyper Threading feature. It means each core has 2 threads. A single processor will process 2 threads simultaneously (time sharing between both threads). So it actually has 2 cores only.

Now let's come to the question:
Why most people don't accept the Number of cores claimed by AMD in FX processors?
In Fx processors, integer cores and FP cores are clumped together to for modules.
1 Module = 2 Integer cores + 1 Floating point cores

AMD leaves FP core into account they just count the number of integer cores. For eg: FX4300 has 2 Modules (4 Integer cores + 2 FP cores), so we can neither say it has 4 cores (2 FP cores deficit), nor 2 cores (because it has 2 more integer cores).
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 3:28:27 PM

I think the takeaway is that just like the Ghz ratings, you can just go off cores as a metric of performance. That's why we have benchmarks of actual apps.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 6:09:10 PM

Best answer selected by butremor.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 5, 2012 6:09:24 PM

lensfire said:
For a better view see this post "What is a module? What is a core?" http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/10/12/amd-fx...

Haha, lol you have two posts and both in my topic :D 
Well, I believe you answered my question, thank you for that. Now i see whats that commotion all about.

Score
!