Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012
I just upgraded to a 7950 Sapphire OC edition. Also just upgraded to SSD. Performance wise I'm seeing great results (due to the SSD mostly).

I have three monitors. One plugged in DVI. One pluged into a HDMI to DVI adapter (supplied). and one plugged into a $100 DP to DVI adapter and then plugged into the supplied miniDP to DP adapter. (Lots of adapters, I know)

Up until just a second ago, the monitor plugged in through the HDMI output (via adapter) was EXTREMELY pixelated. But it was only on videos and pictures, the wallpapers and such looked fine. It was my main problem, but I unplugged the display and plugged it back and and it is fine now. (Even after a restart) The DVI output is fine.

Finally the current problem, the double adapter connection through the DP is pixelated (not near as bad as HDMI was). Tried reconnecting it, but same result. You see it in the gradients obviously on images and videos. Almost like it's not being displayed with 32-bit colors (I checked). I'm thinking since I have the same result from BOTH miniDP ports it's a good sign that the issue is in the adapters and not the card. How do others plug non-DP monitors into these cards. I really wish they would have left the outputs alone with two DVIs and a full size DP and HDMI.

So, I'm actually HOPING that my issue is caused by using an adapter into and another adapter. Any ideas on how to test this? I don't mind going and spending another $100 on a miniDP to DVI adapter, but I don't want to do so and then still have the issue. It was a stretch spending so much on upgrades in the first place. What's got me scared is that I had to cut some plastic off of the card (just a little off the end that was for decoration) to get it to fit in my case so RMA isn't an option anymore. I know, I know, I'm stupid, but I was excited to start playing some BF3 in eyefinity.

Any advice?

EDIT: The HDMI issue is back. Horribly pixelated. Blue pixels around all the gradient areas in videos and pictures. WHATS GOING ON?

Solution
Have you tried resetting the displays to factory settings? I had an issue with my older LCD display plugged into my 7870 via mini-DP to VGA adapter where the display would appear jittery (moving subtly back and forth). After I reset the monitor to factory settings, the auto-calibration fixed some settings and it's clear as day.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812196196
Cables To Go Model 38064 9" One LFH-59 (DMS-59) Male to Two DVI-I Female Cable M-F
$17.99

Tripp Lite Model P564-001 1 ft. DVI-D Y Splitter Cable Male to 2 Female
$16.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750035

StarTech MDP2DVIS Mini DisplayPort to DVI Active Adapter
$25.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200944

Accell B087B-003J Mini DisplayPort to DVI Dual-Link Adapter
$98.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812607014

You ca rearrange your connections with one or more of these adaptors. The last one wouls cut out one of the adaptors since it goes fro mini-display port to DVI. A combination of that one and the DVI splitter may solve you issue.

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012

So you think I should split the DVI port? Didn't think of that... It would still detect two displays on that port? I will be getting the above adapter as well I think.

However, now, I don't know if it's in fact the adapters being the issue. The biggest issues is wild blue pixels all around gradients, which goes away when I reconnect the displays. I just set up Eyefinity and started playing BF3. Finally playable frame rates, and it looked great on high settings. After some time, the issue with the blue pixels in gradients appeared and was on the display connected VIA DVI port with no adapters. That means it must be my card, right?

I'm hoping not, but did I just throw $400 in the trash can?

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012

I just realized your first two items don't make any sense, there isn't a DMS-59 port on the card, and what good would splitting the video be if it's the same image on both monitors, like the second product. Might be able to use something like,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999037

But look at that price tag, I could almost get a second card for that. Not sure that would work anyway.

Any other comments or suggestions for me to think about before I go to the store. Any troubleshooting I can do? I might try to re seat the card first and see if that gives me better results.

Sorry I was trying to rush it a bit and I saw the splitter and went with it. I believe that if you get the proper splitter then it will work the way you intend it to and it will detect the individual monitors and you will have to set them up in order in the CCC. I do know the when setting up multiple displays that you should not use the HDMI port and that you should have an active display port adaptor. So if you don't want to use the splitter then use the display port to DVI adaptor and the adctive display port mini adaptor.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Have you tried resetting the displays to factory settings? I had an issue with my older LCD display plugged into my 7870 via mini-DP to VGA adapter where the display would appear jittery (moving subtly back and forth). After I reset the monitor to factory settings, the auto-calibration fixed some settings and it's clear as day.

Solution

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I'm still working on this issue. I went and bought a mini-DP to DVI adapter and that fixed the minor issue I was talking about, but the major issue is still alive.

It's not a problem with my monitors as this effect doesn't seem to be dependent on a particular monitor. Depending on how I set up the "eyefinity" the effect will be on a different monitor. I've seen it on each of the three monitors I'm using, and only on one monitor at a time. I'm going to go ahead and post this, but I'm going to take a picture to see if anyone has ever seen this before, I don't even know what to call it.

I'm also about to roll back the drivers a few months and see if that changes anything.

Picture on the way.

Wyered1

Feb 27, 2012
I guess you reopened the discussion. I ended up buying the same model card and switching out the coolers since I altered the broken one and returned the card. The card was simply defective. Case closed.