Stuck on this HP regular fan problem

willibrord87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
hi there guys,

i got a hp: p6203w desktop computer with the stock; Sunon KD1209PTS2 on board as a case fan.
I recently switched it with a Noiseblocker MS-81 quiet fan and got the cpu fan failure on startup.

Now whats weird is when i check my speeds with speedfan software is that, with my original fan the software say Fan2 : 1000 RPM
now when i start windows 7 (after i pressed F2 when failure pops up) and check my speeds with the new fan , the software say Fan2: 0 RPM

whats remarkable is that the new fan is actually turning , when i checked my computer open-cased, not very fast but its slowly turning, while the software said it doesn't

So whats this saying for me is that the computer didn't recognized the fan in the first place at starting up the computer !

Do you guys know if this has something to do with a RPM check at startup ? Or is it another difference in specifications of the two different fans ?

Its no possibility for me to check out my bios, because i already checked and i'm not blessed with a cool n quiet function or other fan settings :(

Maybe the new Noiseblocker fan is just not turning fast enough for the computer to recognize it ?

Please help me out here i got stuck !

Best regards

Willie

socialfox

Distinguished
Is the new fan connected to the motherboard 3 pin fan header where the previous CPU fan was? I replaced a recent HP fan with a molex connector fan and it appears like that despite there is a fan running. So I am saying if you have connected this fan to the power supply rather than the motherboard you will get this error message. Your fan is still running fine but generally you want a 3 pin cpu fan to monitor the RPM with. If you do not know what I'm talking about just drop a link where you bought the fan (website link) and I can check the fan out.

willibrord87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
thanks for your reply !

this is the new fan:
https://ikbenstilcomputers.nl/stille-onderdelen/onderdelen-fans/noiseblocker/noiseblocker-multiframe-serie/noiseblocker-nb-multiframe-m8-s1-80mm.html

and the old fan on my cpu fan port on the mobo is a:

AVC 80mm fan
12V
0.7A
8.4W
4500 RPM

as you can see the RPM and the Wattage are both quite different.
What i did is changed the old cpu fan fo a old Sunon kd1209pts2 90mm fan

12 V
0.14A
1.7W
2400 RPM

and my computer fires up just fine !

Concluding that maybe the RPM or the wattage of my new fan don't match up with my old one ?

cheers

socialfox

Distinguished
I believe the problem now is because your new fan spins at a lower RPM the motherboard thinks of it as defective. Run Hwmonitor and let me know your temperatures. If its good then disable the CPU fan check in the bios, becomes a nuisance to deal with the same message when you start up all the time. I think some HP computers have a hidden part of the bios that deals with fan settings, click f11 during boot.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

willibrord87

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
possibly yes , or maybe the wattage the fan asks of the computer? Temperatures are just fine because i have the old fans installed and the case open. Thats the major problem of it all, i got a hp 6203W desktop and in my phoenix bios there's nothing to find , got a very cheap bios here, not even hardware monitor menu. What about the secret sections ?

thanks cheers !