Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 8:11:34 PM

So i have been putting a build together for a couple of weeks now. these forums advised 560 ti overwhelmingly really. my question is what is the difference in the following and which is best or are they all very close to each other.

1. MSI N560GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card $220
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
2. MSI N560GTX-TI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1024MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Video Card $230
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

3. EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5 $225
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

thank you.

More about : 560ti

a c 578 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 9:12:01 PM

None of your links work.

MSI N560GTX-TI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1024MB GDDR5
• 822 MHz GPU
• 1002 MHz Memory
• Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
• Limited Warranty period (labor): 2 years

MSI N560GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB GDDR5
• 832 MHz GPU
• 1002 MHz Memory
• Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
• Limited Warranty period (labor): 2 years

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 01G-P3-1563-AR
• 900 MHz GPU
• 1053 MHz Memory
• Limited Lifetime warranty with registration within 30 days of purchase

The EVGA comes with the highest factory overclock and the best warranty of the three.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 9:13:56 PM

The second MSI one is a little factory OCed over the first one, and based on the TWIN FROZER III cooler which is the best for cooling.

I would go with it or with the first one, it won't make much difference but I won't go for EVGA, they are much more a reference design card, cooling sucks but it's performance great.

EDIT: Regarding the Overclocking you can do it with a simple click, but don't sacrifice the cooling and noise.
m
l
Related resources
May 5, 2012 9:34:21 PM

fixed the links. also this card is going on an asrock z77 pro m board with 3570k if that makes any difference. and Antec
High Current Gamer Series 520W http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

also i have had videocards fans be too loud in the past and it got very annoying after a while. so when u say EVGA cooling suck does that mean the fan will be loud or it overheats fast?
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 9:50:55 PM

The EVGA card's cooling solution adheres to the nVIDIA reference design card's cooling solution so the fan noise should be represented by the blue bar below.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 10:13:16 PM

Regarding the cooling, the Twin Frozer is the best.

I don't know why they didn't show the noise levels but here what they wrote
Quote:
we really didn’t hear all that much of a difference between them. Subjectively, the Gigabyte card has a slightly more unique acoustical profile but there is just no way it would be heard over the sound of case fans.

But I'm pretty sure the EVGA fan's gets louder and noisier more than the Twin Frozer when you bump up it's speed.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 10:50:59 PM

ilysaml said:
Regarding the cooling, the Twin Frozer is the best.
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image//skymtl/GPU/GTX-560-ROUNDUP/GTX-560-ROUNDUP-83.jpg
I don't know why they didn't show the noise levels but here what they wrote
Quote:
we really didn’t hear all that much of a difference between them. Subjectively, the Gigabyte card has a slightly more unique acoustical profile but there is just no way it would be heard over the sound of case fans.

But I'm pretty sure the EVGA fan's gets louder and noisier more than the Twin Frozer when you bump up it's speed.

Where's the Ti version of the MSI card in that chart?

The reference cooler is still quieter than the Twin Frozer when running Furmark. The OP asked if the fan was going to be loud.

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/zotac_geforce_gtx_560_ti_a...

Temperature won't be a problem either:

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/zotac_geforce_gtx_560_ti_a...
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 12:08:57 AM

They are all Ti versions, but they missed writing them on the charts
source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

I'm not talking about Furmark and 100% fan speed, I'm talking about when the GPU is in load and the fans up to 50% it's more noticeable with the EVGA and any reference card.

No need to argue about which's noisier but I recommend the TF II. In normal conditions you will not hear the card whatsoever.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 6:13:34 AM

ilysaml said:
They are all Ti versions, but they missed writing them on the charts
source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

I'm not talking about Furmark and 100% fan speed, I'm talking about when the GPU is in load and the fans up to 50% it's more noticeable with the EVGA and any reference card.

No need to argue about which's noisier but I recommend the TF II. In normal conditions you will not hear the card whatsoever.

I'm not arguing. I just don't want to be one to mislead the OP either.

So far you haven't supplied any data to show that the GTX 560 Ti cards with the reference design cooler are noisier.

I've shown two sources that agree that the NVIDIA reference cooler design is quieter under a full gaming load.
m
l
May 6, 2012 7:33:56 AM

so performance wise is there a difference between the 2 MSI cards. i understand twin forz has better cooling but is it a bit slower or can it be overclocked just like the other?
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 7:49:56 AM

yahiax said:
so performance wise is there a difference between the 2 MSI cards. i understand twin forz has better cooling but is it a bit slower or can it be overclocked just like the other?

The Twin Frozr II version uses the same clocks as the NVIDIA reference design card.

Overclocking success isn't guaranteed but you may be able to get to 940 MHz or more for the GPU Core clock.

You may be able to get the memory overclocked a bit too.
m
l
May 6, 2012 8:20:44 AM

I would go with msi, always loved their cards, and also depends on where you live, as for me their lifetime warranty and everything else is moot once i'm done with the store warranty of 1 year (for evga as it's almost non existent) and go wiggly whenever you rma stuff.

so far msi cards been doing sweet well for me and so for asus but I liked msi better.

go with whatever you can get.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 11:15:20 AM

ko888 said:
So far you haven't supplied any data to show that the GTX 560 Ti cards with the reference design cooler are noisier..

techpowerup shows 32 db, guru3d shows 37 db, toms shows 38 db and 48 db for the 448 core version, I can't find a stable answer. And I can't find it with the specific EVGA card, I've played with both the Gigabyte GTX 560 ti, MSI TF II they were quieter than the EVGA when I tested it with my friend.

Ok, lets say the EVGA is quieter by 2 db...it won't make much difference...but the cooling of the TF II is superb.
m
l
May 6, 2012 7:36:59 PM

ok so let me see if I understand this correctly. any card that says gtx 560 ti will have the same specs. but the only difference is that some versions are OC by the company itself or super oc also by the company itself, but the specs remain the same so i can OC a non factory OCed card myself and reach the same results. also all these cards should have the same oc ceiling regardless if th efactory started the OC or if i did. right?

thank you guys for the info so far and srry am pretty much a noob at this still (the most i have done is change/install a video card)
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 7:48:31 PM

Yup right. Also you can OC a factory OCed card too.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 7:59:13 PM

yahiax said:
ok so let me see if I understand this correctly. any card that says gtx 560 ti will have the same specs. but the only difference is that some versions are OC by the company itself or super oc also by the company itself, but the specs remain the same so i can OC a non factory OCed card myself and reach the same results. also all these cards should have the same oc ceiling regardless if th efactory started the OC or if i did. right?

thank you guys for the info so far and srry am pretty much a noob at this still (the most i have done is change/install a video card)

That's not true.

GPU quality is not the same on all cards. The factory overclocked cards use higher quality GPUs that are binned for that purpose. The card manufacturer of the factory overclocked card will guarantee that the card will operate at the overclocked speed whereas a reference clocked card is only guaranteed to operate at the reference clock speeds.

If you're lucky, and the GPU on the reference clocked card is of a high enough quality, you may be able to reach the same clocks as the factory overclocked cards.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 8:22:14 PM

EVGA, MSI, Zotak, Asus,....aren't those high quality cards?
What do you mean by use high quality GPUs? The GPUs are all the same in all cards. Maybe you meant different PCBs and Power phases, right?

Quote:
The card manufacturer of the factory overclocked card will guarantee that the card will operate at the overclocked speed whereas a reference clocked card is only guaranteed to operate at the reference clock speeds.

So do Intel and AMD make Factory OCed CPUs? Simply what you're saying doesn't make any sense, any branded graphics card can be OCed using voltage tweaks, but the overclocking potentiality and ceiling differ from one card to another due to the quality of PCB and Power Phases. For eg; MSI Twin Frozer II can hit 950 MHz easily while Gigabyte SOC can hit 1 GHz.
Quote:
If you're lucky, and the GPU on the reference clocked card is of a high enough quality, you may be able to reach the same clocks as the factory overclocked cards.

This will make the OP confused, we're recommending quality branded GPUs the TF II hits 974 MHz and the EVGA can do the same.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-n560gtx-ti-twin-froze...
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 8:47:55 PM

ilysaml said:
What do you mean by use high quality GPUs? The GPUs are all the same in all cards. Maybe you meant different PCBs and Power phases, right?

Quote:
The card manufacturer of the factory overclocked card will guarantee that the card will operate at the overclocked speed whereas a reference clocked card is only guaranteed to operate at the reference clock speeds.

So do Intel and AMD make Factory OCed CPUs? Simply what you're saying doesn't make any sense, any branded graphics card can be OCed using voltage tweaks, but the overclocking potentiality and ceiling differ from one card to another due to the quality of PCB and Power Phases. For eg; MSI Twin Frozer II can hit 950 MHz easily while Gigabyte SOC can hit 1 GHz.

I'm not talking about graphics cards. I specifically said GPU.

Obviously you've never heard of product binning or know much about semiconductor manufacturing.

Semiconductor device fabrication is an imprecise process. Not all CPUs and GPUs are able to reach exactly the same thermal and frequency characteristics and some will even have non-fatal defects.

After fabrication the chip is tested and separated based on their defect if any, thermal and frequency characteristics, a process known as binning.

Even NVIDIA says that higher binned GK104 GPUs are used for the GTX 690 than the GK104 GPUs used for GTX 680.

AMD and Intel use binning to determine which binned part will be used in which CPU model. How do you think the AMD X3 CPUs came about?
m
l
May 6, 2012 8:56:50 PM

ilysaml said:

They're not all the same. After manufacturing, they are tested to determine which ones can hit higher stable frequencies, and for defects as well.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 9:33:55 PM

ko888 said:
I'm not talking about graphics cards. I specifically said GPU.

Obviously you've never heard of product binning or know much about semiconductor manufacturing.

Semiconductor device fabrication is an imprecise process. Not all CPUs and GPUs are able to reach exactly the same thermal and frequency characteristics and some will even have non-fatal defects.

After fabrication the chip is tested and separated based on their defect if any, thermal and frequency characteristics, a process known as binning.

Even NVIDIA says that higher binned GK104 GPUs are used for the GTX 690 than the GK104 GPUs used for GTX 680.

AMD and Intel use binning to determine which binned part will be used in which CPU model. How do you think the AMD X3 CPUs came about?

Of course I know & I know the story behind the Phenom II X2/3. But this is totally different than what you are saying.
Quote:
Not all CPUs and GPUs are able to reach exactly the same thermal and frequency characteristics and some will even have non-fatal defects.

You wouldn't know if your specific GPU is binned or not, and you shouldn't consider a major assumption on this. The voltages and clock speeds can be increased to see how viable the chip is for certain specs, and "binned" accordingly.
According to wikipedia
Quote:
As manufacturers only require meeting the minimum advertised specifications, the potential for overclocking of a product is not typically tested during the process of binning.[6] Therefore it should not be assumed that higher binned products will overclock better than lower rated ones
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 9:37:30 PM

sweatlaserxp said:
They're not all the same. After manufacturing, they are tested to determine which ones can hit higher stable frequencies, and for defects as well.

Meant the materials are the same according to manufacturing standards, failure is most like to happen in any process.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 9:40:14 PM

ilysaml said:
Of course I know & I know the story behind the Phenom II X2/3. But this is totally different than what you are saying.
Quote:
Not all CPUs and GPUs are able to reach exactly the same thermal and frequency characteristics and some will even have non-fatal defects.

You wouldn't know if your specific GPU is binned or not, and you shouldn't consider a major assumption on this. The voltages and clock speeds can be increased to see how viable the chip is for certain specs, and "binned" accordingly.
According to wikipedia
Quote:
As manufacturers only require meeting the minimum advertised specifications, the potential for overclocking of a product is not typically tested during the process of binning.[6] Therefore it should not be assumed that higher binned products will overclock better than lower rated ones

Binning doesn't just happen only at the semiconductor foundry.

I hope you realize that graphics card manufacturers also do their own binning and they do test for overclocking potential and make their factory overclocked clocked cards based on the GPUs they've binned themself.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 9:59:56 PM

All cards are overclockable, the maximum safe OC will be different from one GPU to another according to the manufacturing process, that's what I'm clearly saying. But you can't tell the Op that it will be based on luck.

Factory OCed cards are for those who are afraid of OCing, it's not a huge boost and it's for enthusiasts who want to give a more headroom.

Also from my understandings that the main target of it is to sell items at higher profit margins, manufacturers implement overclocking prevention mechanisms such as CPU locking to prevent users buying lower priced items and overclocking them.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 10:34:25 PM

ilysaml said:
All cards are overclockable, the maximum safe OC will be different from one GPU to another according to the manufacturing process, that's what I'm clearly saying. But you can't tell the Op that it will be based on luck.

Factory OCed cards are for those who are afraid of OCing, it's not a huge boost and it's for enthusiasts who want to give a more headroom.

Also from my understandings that the main target of it is to sell items at higher profit margins, manufacturers implement overclocking prevention mechanisms such as CPU locking to prevent users buying lower priced items and overclocking them.

The OP asked "... so i can OC a non factory OCed card myself and reach the same results. ..."

I stated that they will be lucky if they're able to reach the factory overclocked clock speeds, and it's not guaranteed that they will be able to reach it.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 10:39:56 PM

well, that factor overclocks are not too far from the non overclocked ones, so basic answer is yes. No need to make it complicated.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 10:46:18 PM

ilysaml said:
well, that factor overclocks are not too far from the non overclocked ones, so basic answer is yes. No need to make it complicated.

I didn't think a 950 MHz factory overclock was considered close to the 823 MHz reference clock.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 10:50:30 PM

ko888 said:
I didn't think a 950 MHz factory overclock was considered close to the 823 MHz reference clock.

900 Mhz (v.s. 822 Mhz reference) it's not 950
Speaking of EVGA.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 11:01:11 PM

MSI N560GTX-Ti HAWK, Core Clock Speed(MHz): 950 (STD: 822MHz)

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/SOC, Core Clock Speed(MHz): 950

Speaking of MSI models because the OP seems to be looking at the N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 11:21:37 PM

ilysaml said:
The first card is not a HAWK edition, even Microcenter specify the standard clocks and it doesn't look the same as HAWK.
The TF II also in the links above is not a SOC, have the 880 MHz clocks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Directly from the card manufacturer:

MSI N560GTX-Ti HAWK, Core Clock Speed(MHz): 950 (STD: 822MHz)
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-Hawk.html#?di...

MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/SOC, Core Clock Speed(MHz): 950
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-Twin-Frozr-II...
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 12:08:44 AM

Again, non of the cards Op linked are HAWK or SOC. But these models you linked are 950 MHz.
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 12:25:44 AM

ilysaml said:
Again, non of the cards Op linked are HAWK or SOC. But these models you linked are 950 MHz.

I didn't say the OP was considering purchasing either of those two cards.

It's to give an example of what the OP is trying to overclock an MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II to.
m
l
May 7, 2012 1:27:00 AM

Quote:

It's to give an example of what the OP is trying to overclock an MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II to.

That is true, it's exactly what i had in mind lol. i have actually seen a video on youtube with it OC to 1GHZ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJKBK48OcKQ
you guys would probably recognize how legit that is better than me.

and just when i thought i am about to settle i stumble on to the HD 7850...fml. now am back to the whole which VC to get headache.

do u guys have advise regarding that? 560ti twin forzr or hd 7850. and if the hd7850 which one. i was planning to start building next week. lets see if i can still do that. regrading budget i can probably go p to $260 max or maybe $270 if it will make that big of a difference.

i know the topic changed and am srry about that .

thank you for the discusion so far and your advise.

m
l

Best solution

a c 578 U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 2:16:50 AM

yahiax said:
Quote:

That is true, it's exactly what i had in mind lol. i have actually seen a video on youtube with it OC to 1GHZ. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJKBK48OcKQ
you guys would probably recognize how legit that is better than me.

and just when i thought i am about to settle i stumble on to the HD 7850...fml. now am back to the whole which VC to get headache.

do u guys have advise regarding that? 560ti twin forzr or hd 7850. and if the hd7850 which one. i was planning to start building next week. lets see if i can still do that. regrading budget i can probably go p to $260 max or maybe $270 if it will make that big of a difference.

i know the topic changed and am srry about that .

thank you for the discusion so far and your advise.

Just because that person's specific MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II was able to reach 1 GHz does not mean that if you were to purchase one that it will be able to reach that clock speed.

At reference clock speeds the Radeon HD 7850 is definitely faster than the GeForce GTX 560 Ti in terms of relative performance.

There is an MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5 version.
May 7, 2012 8:07:35 PM

are these 2 the same card? someone on amazon reviews said the pic is for the top version. also amazon description is direct CU while tigerdirect says directCU II. is there a difference? thanks
m
l
a c 578 U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 8:25:46 PM

yahiax said:
are these 2 the same card? someone on amazon reviews said the pic is for the top version. also amazon description is direct CU while tigerdirect says directCU II. is there a difference? thanks

I don't see any links in your post.

Yes, there is a difference:

DirectCU uses a single cooling fan.

DirectCU II uses a dual cooling fan.
m
l
May 7, 2012 8:44:59 PM

MSI twin frozr II FTW!!
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:34:11 AM

I finally decided on MSI twin 7850 but i cant find it anywhere. anywhere not shady that is lol.
m
l
May 10, 2012 1:35:23 AM

Best answer selected by yahiax.
m
l
!