First Time Build; A few questions...

Purchase Date: Next month (Late July)

Parts Needed: N/A

Parts Required: N/A

Budget: N/A

Okay, I'll get to the point. I have a few questions about my planned build below. First, Is an SSD really necessary (I'm trying not to spend too much $$$ after buying a GTX 680). Second, will all of these parts be compatible with one another? And finally, should I use DVI, VGA or HDMI, and do any of these parts come with those?

CPU - Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
Mobo - ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Video Card - EVGA GTX 680 (Fermi) 2GB
SSD - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
DVD Drive - ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Power Supply - CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W
Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
5 answers Last reply
More about first time build questions
  1. I don't really see the point of an SSD except as a boot-up drive+some commonly used apps. If you really want the speed get it, though, a 90GB drive or even 64GB one will suffice. Also, why are you getting a CPU cooler if you're getting a locked processor that can't overclock? Get the i7-3770K. It will allow you to overclock. For a few more $$$, I wholeheartedly recommend you do buy it. 1866 RAM is a waste. Numerous benchmarks say it's a waste, and that 1600 RAM is a better value. In gaming, the difference is by fractions of a frame. The HAF 932 is a great case, but you can get cheaper ones. Antec 900, etc.
  2. the simple an sure is the plastic legs on the intel heat sink suck. to the op the 670 in most games is only 5-10 percent slower then the 680. so you save your slef some cash and not real take a performance hit going with the 670.
  3. Yes, the 670 is a better choice. However, what res. is the OP's monitor and what games will the OP play?
  4. Is this going to be a gaming system? If it is the 3770K and that motherboard are complete overkill. You're better off going with a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H and an i5-3570K, you'll save about $200 that way.
  5. Yes, do that, and invest the money in maybe a bigger SSD, more fans, BD drive, etc. or whatever you want.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product