Sign in with
Your question

Will it work and will it fit?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 8:12:46 PM

Hey guys, I have another thread going but this one is for another question that kinda evolve from the last. Here's the other Thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352380-33-what-compat...

So I've Decided to go with a GTX480 since I believe it is the best Price to Performance ratio available to me, Also based on this Chart: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c...

You can see it is the best choice for playing maxed out WoW at 60fps all times, even the time chart supports the fact that the frames will barely drop below 60, to 50 at the lowest. So the problem I'm having now is, Will a 700w PSU power that? or can I go Lower? The recommended is 600w and 12v@42a, this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , Offers a 12v@52a rail.
-
Heres my computer, nothings been changed from original specs: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-...

So my question a few things: Is that the best GPU (trying to keep it to 250$ max, which is how much the GTX480 costs in Canada) for what I need? Will That PSU have all the connections AND power I need to run whats already in my computer, plus the GTX480? Will that PSU and GPU even Fit in my case (the dimesions of the case are included in the ling to my computer, also I believe the 8500GT in there is a 6", not sure, but the cards height may hit the peripheral cages so im not sure how any of this will work out)?

Thanks for any help guys.

More about : work fit

a c 254 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 5, 2012 8:37:06 PM

With the spec's of your computer I wouldn't go much more than the 480 , the cpu has a stock speed of 2.2ghz which is kind of low and with only 3gb of ram that is also kind of low so you actually can't go for too much video card or the other components will be holding it back. The dimensions of the card are 10.5" x 4.38"
m
l
May 5, 2012 8:41:26 PM

Does that mean you think the 480 will be bottle necked? also I may have to get a new Computer case to fit that card then... which means finding the right format to fit the stuff thats in there now -_-

Also what about the PSU? is it enough to power the 480? or is it too much/little? I'm planning on ordering the stuff tonight/tomorrow so it can be sent first thing monday.

Why is RAM an issue? The game only utilizes 1g at a time Tops, on the max settings. The 480 has 1.5gigs of GPU memory, so I dont see this being an issue. Most people play games on 1Gig cards, And if they made an EVGA 480 1 gig, id probably get that, but 1.5 is fine too.
m
l
Related resources
a c 254 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 5, 2012 9:04:54 PM

The ram on a video card is only used by the card itself and is not used by the system so it's seperate. Your windows OS uses the ram that is installed on the motherboard and 3gb is a little on the low side but if you have a 32 bit OS then you won't be able to use much more anyway. A good way to tell the usage is to have the resource manager open while gaming and you can actulaay see how much ram is being used. I have it open while playing MW3 and the usage goes upi to 5gb but I have Windows 7 64 bit so that may make a difference as compared to what you have.
The GTX 480 requires a 600w psu to be in your computer so the 700w should be enough.
I don't know for sure if the cpu and or ram will bottleneck a GTX 480 but you do have to be aware that it's a possability and if the cpu turns out to be a bottleneck then you can overclock the cpu a bit to take care of it.
m
l
May 5, 2012 9:17:38 PM

Oh I know about how the RAM on the card is for GPU processing only, but my regular RAM has never been an issue, the only issue is that playing games like I play, on a 128mb 8500GT, even on low settings, some of the processing spills onto RAM from the GPU, which slows performance dramatically, I'm aware of all that. so i'm assuming that with this GPU I should be fine, I mean even starcraft2 on ultra settings only requres 1024mb of GPU RAM, and WoWs graphics are much more outdated than that.

So I can see from your profile you've been around quite a while, can you take a loot at that PSU, the GTX 480 and my computers components and tell me if the PSU will fit in my case? And if it has all the right connections? Also, do you think the card will fit in my computer? The 8500GT is 6.5inches long, I just measured, and the 480 at 10.5" will come damn near close to touching the front of my case. Measured from the back edge of the 8500GT to the front there is about 11"-11.5" of space, You think it will be a problem?

Also I hear that the 480 can get Hot, but so can any new card right? taking a look at the stock fans in my comp (which is just one really, unless you count the CPU fan) do you think Heat will be an issue?

Also, If I plan to overclock + use that power hungry card, would a 700w do it? considering the recommended PSU is 600w and 12v@42a?

Sorry about all the questions, this is my first time ever buying computer parts.

Edir: sorry about that, this is the PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 5, 2012 10:39:46 PM

One of the important things with a computer is heat and the constant battle to control it. I would try to add fans to your case if at all possable. I can't see much of the case on the link you provided and they don't giv e any info on the fans. I'm assuming that you have the one fan in the rear of the case which will draw air out of the case and by doing so air will come in through the front vents on the case. Sometimes you have the option to add a fan in the lower front of the case which will help speed up the air flow. Then there may sometimes be a place at the top of the case where you can add a fan also on the side panel. The side panel would be a good spot as it will blow directly onto the card and motherboard area. I realize that you are new to Pc building and or upgrading but you should know that with a computer case you have the option to modify the case to suit your needs and by that I mean that the case is made of very thin metal or plastic and you can easily modify it , make a hole where yiou need it cut something out of the way so you can fit what you want to put in there. As an examnple look at the case in this link;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have this case and if you look at the side panel you can see the huge fan that's there , it's a 200mm fan and takes up a good portion of the side panel. Well I wanted a bigger window so I cut out that whole corner where the fan is and got a full sheet of plexi and now the whole side panel is window. You can see the picture at the left of this post and I ended up putting a small fan there like the one in the front.
This is not to say that you can just jump into case modding but rather to say what's possable with a case. You need good air flow through your case to remove the heat and then your computer will run better. So check out the case and see where you can add a fan or two.
The power supply that you have while not top notch quality is good enough to run the GTX 480. As far as the video card fitting in your case if it fits then it fits , if it just barely touches something at the end of the card then it's ok. You want to be able to set the card in the slot and not have anything blocking it from seating down into the slot. It doesn't matter if it goes to the front of the case as long as you can set it into the slot with no impediment then it's ok.
m
l
!