Sign in with
Your question
Solved

URGENT: How do I connect the fan?

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2012 3:01:05 PM

Hi everyone, I finally received my computer parts last night, ready to assemble. Everything went without a hitch until I got to the fans. I am using a Rosewill Challenger case, with a 120mm rear and front, and a 140mm top. The rear fan has a nice small three pin connector which plugs right into the SYSFAN spot on the motherboard. But the other two have two huge molex connectors, one female and one male! What the heck do I do with these? Thank you very much in advance :) 

More about : urgent connect fan

Related resources

Best solution

June 29, 2012 3:18:38 PM

if you plug the fan directly into the PSU, the mobo will not regulate it. It should connect to the mobo. Don't all the fans have the same connectors? Mine all had the 3 pin and were placed at various points around the mobo, from what i remember.

I haven't done this in years though so I'll defer to someone else.

June 29, 2012 3:25:47 PM

Only one of mine has the 3 pin, the rest are all molexes. However, I do have 3 system fan connectors on the mobo, which they obviously don't fit on.
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:00:38 PM

And is it a problem if any of the cables are touching the mobo?
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:22:18 PM

chrigreg said:
And is it a problem if any of the cables are touching the mobo?

Very unlikely, but still try to move them around/stick them to anotherpart of your case.

If you fan is connected to your PSU, it will work at 100% performance 100% of the time.
If it's connected to your motherboard then the fans will only increase performance when heat builds up in your system.

I have my intake/exhaust fans connected to my PSU, and my CPU to the motherboard.
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:31:57 PM

Actually, the heaviest things I will be running are Skyrim at Ultra probably, so should I be good with only 2 fans instead? And if so, should I pull the front or top?
m
l
June 29, 2012 4:51:09 PM

Front is intake... top is exhaust.

rule of thumb: front /sides are intake, back /top exhaust.

why not get an adapter to connect them all to the mobo? i have two front, two side, two top and top back... the back if i remember are connected to the PSU but its been a while since i've been in there. but theyre LED fans and have low RPM so its ok theyre on 100% all the time.
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:02:21 PM

Best answer selected by chrigreg.
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:04:38 PM

Okay, so I guess I'll just use all three fans, with two running at maximum. I might purchase a fan controller or adapter in the future. Thank you!

And one last question :) : For connecting the hdd, I have a blue cable that says sata 6gb/s, and an identical black one that says serial ATA. My hdd is 6gb/s, so which should I use?

EDIT: Also for the Optical drive.
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:18:51 PM

Wow... really scraping the bottom of my memory for that one. You might want to start a new thread. I'd bet its the blue sata cable, but again, dont go by me on this one.

sorry
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:30:24 PM

chrigreg said:
And one last question : For connecting the hdd, I have a blue cable that says sata 6gb/s, and an identical black one that says serial ATA. My hdd is 6gb/s, so which should I use?

EDIT: Also for the Optical drive.

Does your motherboard have SATA3 6gb/s ports? If not, then it does not matter which cable you use since the blue SATA3 cable is backwards compatible. Even then, I'm not sure a HDD benefits from the 6gb/s ports like a SSD would so the blue cable would not even give better performance (even though it will work just fine).
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:30:28 PM

Well, since they're both data transfer thingamajiggies with the same connectors, I'm going to just guess that it won't fry my hdd. Time for a test boot!
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:35:00 PM

It boots successfully! Now to wait a couple of days for the ssd to come to install windows...
m
l
June 29, 2012 5:40:45 PM

chrigreg said:
Now to wait a couple of days for the ssd to come to install windows...

Ok you definitely want to use the blue cable then instead of the black cable for the SSD as long as the SSD is a SATA3 drive. The SSD will really benefit from that SATA3 cable (as long as you are using a SATA3 port on your motherboard).
m
l
!