Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will the onboard graphics be enough?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 8:41:58 PM

Hello,
so i bought all my parts for my new gaming pc except for the GPU as I'm waiting for the gtx670Ti to be released, but in the mean time I would like to assemble the computer and get all the drives installed along with the OS. So can I do that without my GPU?
I also have a multi media reader I salvaged from my old Acer PC, would I be able to install this into my new build?
Also what are your oppinions on my build?

Parts list:
gigabyte z77x-ud3h motherboard
antec df-35 case
i5-3570k cpu with stock cpu cooler
ocz series 650w psu
8gb gskill sniper ddr3 ram
asus dvd-rw drive
2tb western digital hdd
mushkin 120gb sdd

I was unsure where to post this question so I decided to post it here

More about : onboard graphics

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 8:47:27 PM

Looks like a good build.

The onboard graphics for IB aren't any good for gaming, but they'll be plenty for any non-gaming oriented tasks you might wish to do.

Any reason you want to wait for a 670? Why not go AMD or get a 580 since the prices have come down so much?
May 5, 2012 9:01:11 PM

I wanted to get the 670Ti for better future proofing my PC and because its only going to have a $400 price tag. To be honest this is my first build so Im not 100% sure im making the right choices.
What 580 card or AMD card would you recommend instead of the 670Ti? I would like to stay under $500.
Related resources
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 9:01:49 PM

you can go play BF3 single player at low resolution :) 

or get something cheap to hold you over . .
a c 355 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 9:09:17 PM

The Intel HD 4000 integrated graphic core is about equal to a Radeon HD 5550. Therefore, if you want to play games you would need to play them at low resolution and with either medium or low graphic quality.

I've tested the Intel HD 3000 in my 1366x768 resolution laptop with some games. That graphic core is basically equal to a Radeon HD 5450. I've tested Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 with a mix of low and medium settings. I have to admit they were playable with decent frame rate. I also tested Crysis (Chapter 2 - Relic), but graphics had to be set to low and the game was barely playable with frame rates ranging between 18 - 24 FPS most of the time.

So... if you can live with "lite" gaming, then the Intel HD 4000 should hold you over for a short period of time. Hopefully until nVidia release more GTX 600 cards.
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 9:11:12 PM

if i were you id go for a 7870 because in the end its going to be about the same as a 660ti .. plus you will be waiting for quite a while .. if a 7870 isnt your boat get a gtx 570 or something along those lines .. the 7870 has some pretty good benches out there plus 2 of these in crossfire would be a killer setup .. personally i run 2 6870s in crossfire and theres not much i cant play on max settings or close to max battle field 3 is pretty demanding i can play with ultra on all the textures and stuff but the mssa is out of the question ive played around with it a lot and found that i could do 2x msaa with 4x antialiasing in stead i just leave off the msaa and turn antialiasing up to 16x .. so effectively pretty close to max honestly and i get 60 ~ 70 frames sec with this set up .. @1080p so i really cant complain high with all eye candy is easy for this.. hope this helps you ..
May 6, 2012 3:09:12 AM

Best answer selected by Diablo3fanatic.
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 4:24:00 PM

Diablo3fanatic said:
I wanted to get the 670Ti for better future proofing my PC and because its only going to have a $400 price tag. To be honest this is my first build so Im not 100% sure im making the right choices.
What 580 card or AMD card would you recommend instead of the 670Ti? I would like to stay under $500.

Well, I can't imagine there will be a whole lot of difference performance wise between a 670 and the 580, so the future proofing argument goes out the window immediately.

For the money, I'd do with this Gigabyte Model. $380 for a GTX 580 with a custom cooler from a great brand. It's a steal, especially since many of the reference boards are still selling for $400+.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 7, 2012 5:44:24 AM

87ninefiveone said:
Well, I can't imagine there will be a whole lot of difference performance wise between a 670 and the 580, so the future proofing argument goes out the window immediately.

For the money, I'd do with this Gigabyte Model. $380 for a GTX 580 with a custom cooler from a great brand. It's a steal, especially since many of the reference boards are still selling for $400+.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I like the price on that card, and with price matching at my store plus the MIB its comes to $300.. However I cant find a single good review for that card on the internet so I am a little sceptical
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 11:50:51 AM

Beware using exact card model numbers for finding reviews. Manufacturer's will change a couple of digits here and there indicating small changes like warranty period, or build date. EVGA is especially bad at this, as they'll literally have more than a dozen models of one particular GPU. Gigabyte and the other guys do the same thing.

To look at review just type "gigabyte gtx 580 SO" instead of using the model number.
!