A build around already having a gtx480?

aouraven

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Yo. I got a gtx480 for free (sweet deal huh?) from a prize/contest/thing/not really sure how I got it really I was given it and told to do w/e with it so, why not a new computer?

But besides that...

Approximate Purchase Date: Middle of July. (after the 4th for sure)

Budget Range: 600-800/800 - 1000 usd before rebates. (Never really done rebates, probably should...)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Starcraft/LoL tutorials/gameplay videos (recording, editing, etc.)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or tigerdirect (though my friends have said they are more expensive.)

Parts Preferences: Intel cpu. The case should have room for many many fans lol. I've been told the 480 can heat a dorm room...

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Depends on which spare/old monitor i use. 1600x1200 or 1280x1024 or 1440x900.

Additional Comments: If someone can offer a better build for around same price range with a completely different card I would be interested especially if it would be a stronger build (in terms of overall performance and longevity without upgrades) as I could then sell the gtx480.

G

(*cough* go tribe *cough*)
sorry do not have the time to shop ATM. but i do highly suggest since the 480 is a power hog, that i break form my usual mantra that a 550watt PSU will power any single GPU solution and suggest you look at a quality 600+watt PSU.

also even though an i3-21xx could handle that GPU, when playing games like skyrim or multi player maps in BF3 you would be better server by any i5 quad core.

you do not need an expensive motherboard with that either, even a H67 will be fine unless you're looking at overclocking a "K" series CPU. though that budget of 600-800 is more like 800-1000 since you already have a GPU.

(*cough*) fxxx the yankees (*cough*)

l8r sk8r