Sign in with
Your question

SLI an 560 or move up?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2012 9:06:11 PM

Hello all,

I'm going to build a new system for mild gaming and video editing with software (AVID) that supports Nvidia GPU acceleration. Dirt 3 is currently my most performance starved app for video. Currently have an ASUS OC'd Nvidia GTX 560 - I can buy a second one for only $190 but have not seen much written up about how 2 of these in SLI might perform. I'm not a 'money is no object' kind of guy but could spring for a $500 GTX 680 if I utilize my existing case and PS. I run 1900 x 1200 native on a fast ASUS 26" monitor. Are two GTX 560's in SLI going to get me close to the GTX 680?

Bob

More about : sli 560 move

a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 9:22:13 PM

No. They would put you in the GTX 580 performance. You have a high resolution monitor, you need a card with 2 GB of memory, if you can afford GTX 680 right now go for it or you can consider the HD 7970/7950. Seeing you like nVidia more you might wait for the GTX 670, it's said to be out within 5 days but i'll doubt if you'll get one easily.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 9:24:09 PM

I wouldn't waste $190 for a gtx560ti at this point but wouldn't go after a gtx680 until after considering how long one is going to make use of the card. If you are doing video production as a job then go for it if time is important as such a card will make quick work of any encoding job. As for gaming a gtx560ti is enough for the majority of games as it is but in sli offer a lot of bang.

Keep in mind though cuda only works each gpu separately so no sli scaling for cuda/physx. One app/client per gpu.
m
l
Related resources
a c 91 Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 9:31:11 PM

The general rule is that two cards are better than one as long as the two cards are not too far behind. The two 560's will not come close enough to a 680 to make it worth going with that over getting the 680. The other thing to consider is that later on down the road you can add another 680 and that would put you over the top as far as performance goes and there would be no game you couldn't play and no amount of video editing that you couldn't do. The only reason I mention it is because you really don't know what your going to be doing a few years from now and what games will be out and what your video editing will be.
m
l
May 7, 2012 12:34:17 PM

Appreciate everyone's input - I think it will be GTX680 (or maybe a GTX670...) if I can figure out how to get my hands on one or the other.

All the best,

Bob
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 7, 2012 1:39:36 PM

Yeah definately go for a 670 or 680
m
l
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
May 7, 2012 3:53:23 PM

nforce4max said:
I wouldn't waste $190 for a gtx560ti at this point but wouldn't go after a gtx680 until after considering how long one is going to make use of the card. If you are doing video production as a job then go for it if time is important as such a card will make quick work of any encoding job. As for gaming a gtx560ti is enough for the majority of games as it is but in sli offer a lot of bang.

Keep in mind though cuda only works each gpu separately so no sli scaling for cuda/physx. One app/client per gpu.

i think that answers the question on whether to go SLI or not.
m
l
!