Can this 3650 be brought back to life?

Hi all,
my friend just came over from the Phillippines and brought a Nokia 3600.
After a couple of weeks, if you try to boot the phone, it hangs at the Nokia
logo screen.
That's it! I brought the phone to a friend who has a data cable and he had
no luck retrieving any data.
Any reason why the phone would just die like this? We are using a Rogers
sim and the phone is unlocked.
The phone is also less than a year old, but sending the phone back for
repairs is kinda drastic.
Because the phone has so many contacts and personal data, we would love to
retrieve this information too.

We have no choice but to send the phone for repairs to a local authorized
dealer.
Any idea how much this would cost? Would the tech be able to retrieve the
data?

Thanks in advance, we are totally lost!

McG
6 answers Last reply
More about 3650 brought back life

    After doing some research, it looks like the bootsector of the phone is
    corrupt and re-flashing is the only work around. Does this mean the data is
    toast?...This will break her heart.

    "McGusto" <mac_gusto@hotcoldmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > my friend just came over from the Phillippines and brought a Nokia 3600.
    > After a couple of weeks, if you try to boot the phone, it hangs at the
    Nokia
    > logo screen.
    > That's it! I brought the phone to a friend who has a data cable and he
    had
    > no luck retrieving any data.
    > Any reason why the phone would just die like this? We are using a Rogers
    > sim and the phone is unlocked.
    > The phone is also less than a year old, but sending the phone back for
    > repairs is kinda drastic.
    > Because the phone has so many contacts and personal data, we would love to
    > retrieve this information too.
    >
    > We have no choice but to send the phone for repairs to a local authorized
    > dealer.
    > Any idea how much this would cost? Would the tech be able to retrieve the
    > data?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, we are totally lost!
    >
    > McG

    big problem.. If the data was stored onto the MMC its easier to fix..

    | After doing some research, it looks like the bootsector of the phone is
    | corrupt and re-flashing is the only work around. Does this mean the data
    is
    | toast?...This will break her heart.
    |

    | "McGusto" <mac_gusto@hotcoldmail.com> wrote in message
    | > Hi all,
    | > my friend just came over from the Phillippines and brought a Nokia 3600.
    | > After a couple of weeks, if you try to boot the phone, it hangs at the
    | Nokia
    | > logo screen.
    | > That's it! I brought the phone to a friend who has a data cable and he
    | had
    | > no luck retrieving any data.
    | > Any reason why the phone would just die like this? We are using a
    Rogers
    | > sim and the phone is unlocked.
    | > The phone is also less than a year old, but sending the phone back for
    | > repairs is kinda drastic.
    | > Because the phone has so many contacts and personal data, we would love
    | > retrieve this information too.
    | >
    | > We have no choice but to send the phone for repairs to a local
    authorized
    | > dealer.
    | > Any idea how much this would cost? Would the tech be able to retrieve
    the
    | > data?
    | >
    | > Thanks in advance, we are totally lost!
    | >
    | > McG

    Hi there!
    When u say MMC, is that the memory card?
    I've also hear horror stories about phones not being able to take a flash.
    Argh....

    Thanks for the info!

    McGusto wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > my friend just came over from the Phillippines and brought a Nokia 3600.
    > After a couple of weeks, if you try to boot the phone, it hangs at the Nokia
    > logo screen.
    > That's it! I brought the phone to a friend who has a data cable and he had
    > no luck retrieving any data.
    > Any reason why the phone would just die like this? We are using a Rogers
    > sim and the phone is unlocked.
    > The phone is also less than a year old, but sending the phone back for
    > repairs is kinda drastic.
    > Because the phone has so many contacts and personal data, we would love to
    > retrieve this information too.
    >
    > We have no choice but to send the phone for repairs to a local authorized
    > dealer.
    > Any idea how much this would cost? Would the tech be able to retrieve the
    > data?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, we are totally lost!
    >
    > McG

    3650 or 3600?
    I had a similar problem on my 7650 (same OS as the 3650). I filled up
    the memory and couldn't even get to a point where I could enter my pin code.
    Service Provider tried in vain to fix it.
    Eventually had to send it to Nokia for a re-flash with newer software
    (yes, all data lost)
    I Lost all Contacts, pics, sounds & messages though

    Get a memory manger such as Stacker from www. symbianware.com to manage
    your phone's memory and compress apps & contacts to prevent it from
    happening again

    Vortex,
    thanks for your reply.
    The phone is a 3650 and I contacted Nokia Canada for assistance.
    Because the phone was from another country, they would not flash it!
    I found a small local shop who finally took care of the problem. The phone
    was reflashed, but unfortunately all data was lost.

    A small sacrifice, eh?

    "vortex" <vortex@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > McGusto wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > my friend just came over from the Phillippines and brought a Nokia 3600.
    > > After a couple of weeks, if you try to boot the phone, it hangs at the
    Nokia
    > > logo screen.
    > > That's it! I brought the phone to a friend who has a data cable and he
    had
    > > no luck retrieving any data.
    > > Any reason why the phone would just die like this? We are using a
    Rogers
    > > sim and the phone is unlocked.
    > > The phone is also less than a year old, but sending the phone back for
    > > repairs is kinda drastic.
    > > Because the phone has so many contacts and personal data, we would love
    > > retrieve this information too.
    > >
    > > We have no choice but to send the phone for repairs to a local
    authorized
    > > dealer.
    > > Any idea how much this would cost? Would the tech be able to retrieve
    the
    > > data?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance, we are totally lost!
    > >
    > > McG
    > >

    > 3650 or 3600?
    > I had a similar problem on my 7650 (same OS as the 3650). I filled up
    > the memory and couldn't even get to a point where I could enter my pin
    code.
    > Service Provider tried in vain to fix it.
    > Eventually had to send it to Nokia for a re-flash with newer software
    > (yes, all data lost)
    > I Lost all Contacts, pics, sounds & messages though
    >
    > Get a memory manger such as Stacker from www. symbianware.com to manage
    > your phone's memory and compress apps & contacts to prevent it from
    > happening again

    McGusto,

    If you don't mind me asking what local shop was able to fix your
    problem as I have the same trouble with my 3650. I have taken it to a
    couple of shops with no luck.

    Thanks

Nokia Phones