Sign in with
Your question

Wanting some buying advise for a gaming/sound production PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2012 4:34:25 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: August (first half) (I know it's while away but I'm preparing early)

Budget Range: £800-900 (Absolute limit is £915)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, video rendering, sound production, surfing the web, media

Parts Not Required: Monitor and mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anywhere reputable and UK based

Parts Preferences: An Intel CPU, an Asus z77 mobo, an Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Maybe if I get a aftermarket CPU cooler, but I would rather do that as an upgrade laer down the line.

SLI or Crossfire: No, not with this build

Monitor Resolution: I have already got a 1920 x 1080 monitor

Additional Comments: Needs to be a windows 7 system, and have a case with usb 3.0 front panel support and a side window (looking at CM Storm Enforcer)

-Made an account to ask, so thanks to anyone who replies

More about : wanting buying advise gaming sound production

June 29, 2012 4:40:23 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/b470

just under 800 pounds. the case has 4 usb3 ports just saying. if you need a nice sound card, id get a asus dx 7.1 surround sound card. awesome sound for a low price (not sure how much it costs in the UK)
June 29, 2012 4:41:50 PM

if you want a asus motherboard (you wont have SLI support but you wont need it anyways), the p8z77-le will suit your needs.

Related resources
June 29, 2012 5:02:23 PM

TheBigTroll said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/b470

just under 800 pounds. the case has 4 usb3 ports just saying. if you need a nice sound card, id get a asus dx 7.1 surround sound card. awesome sound for a low price (not sure how much it costs in the UK)

Thanks! The parts you suggested are brilliant, I think I'm going to make a few modifications to a few of the parts you selected namely the PSU, GPU and maybe the case (as I was really hoping for a side window in the case). I might also choose to stick in a Crucial 64gb SSD in there to act as my boot device :)  I think when I have made all the changes it should be around the £900 mark again. But thanks for the reply, you've shown me some really good parts I wouldn't have know about otherwise.
June 29, 2012 5:10:14 PM

id recommend you to get a samsung 830 128gb SSD if you are planning to use one.

what changes are you going to make. the 7850 performs like a gtx570 and the psu is OEM from seasonic which makes the industry's best power supplies
June 29, 2012 5:56:23 PM

TheBigTroll said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/b4c0

i changed some of the parts like the case. this one has a window. the samsung 830 is 128gb and is only 78 pounds

Wow, I really like that bitfenix case, it looks fantastic :)  I decided to keep the PSU you suggested, but put in the Crucial m4 64gb SSD as it is cheaper ( I'm not too bothered about how fast it boots up, I just want a seperate drive to run windows from. Although the speed boost is awesome )

I am deciding to use the Asus DirectCU II GTX 560ti 2gb as I would feel better using an Nvidia GPU (,just a preferencial thing I suppose, also their drivers are more compatible with smaller indie games which appeal to me a lot)
June 29, 2012 6:05:27 PM

well then if you are to go nvidia, id just get the 1gb version of the card. 2gb of frame buffer is useless unless you run a large monitor which you should be anyways.

honestly, the 7850 is pretty much the best bang for the buck and plays all the games better than the 560ti

you could wait for nvidia to launch their gtx660 and 660ti and then see if it suits you better
June 29, 2012 6:54:44 PM

TheBigTroll said:
well then if you are to go nvidia, id just get the 1gb version of the card. 2gb of frame buffer is useless unless you run a large monitor which you should be anyways.

honestly, the 7850 is pretty much the best bang for the buck and plays all the games better than the 560ti

you could wait for nvidia to launch their gtx660 and 660ti and then see if it suits you better

I was actually waiting for the 660 ti a while ago but with no news on it I might just wait untill christmas for it :L

But I think I'm going to go for the GTX 560 ti 448, it runs hotter than the 7850 but in every benchmark I have seen it beats the 7850, the only problem would be the PSU although I'm not sure if that would matter too much.
June 29, 2012 11:35:18 PM

the PSU can handle pretty much every single card out there up until the 580.

the 7850 performs close to the 570 at stock speeds and once you overclock it to 900mhz, it beats the 570 while using half the power. according to toms hardware, the maximum power draw they recorded for a stock 7850 was 100w so think about how much power you will save

the 660 and 660ti will probably come out in july/august so either you run on intergrated graphics for now or just get the 7850. no point of getting last generation cards unless its dirt cheap
!