radikulram

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Hello!

I've decided to build my own desk, inspired by the Swordfish made by Scan.
https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/images/forms/swordfish/img6.jpg

The reason why I decided to build my own is because this desk costs £20,000 :eek: which is ridiculously out of my budget of £6,000.

SO I do have some DIY experience (built a frame for a sofa in school) and common sense (I like to think) but was wondering whether I could place the motherboard with the original stand-offs, onto plywood.

The motherboard will be a EVGA SRx (or perhaps SR-three if it comes out by then) which is a HPTX Form Factor.

What I need to know is whether the motherboard will short out when placed on to stand-offs which are on wood.
How will the motherboard be grounded?

I don't think it's related to the computer's case, because some companies manufacture acrylic cases.

Regarding heat, I'll be using water-cooling to keep it cool and to transport the heat from one end of the desk to the other (where I'll keep my WC stuff)
---
On other news I plan to place the motherboard standing up like it is in most conventional cases, incase my watercooling leaks, hopefully it wont spread onto my motherboard.

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
That is a amazing looking desk, but are you getting a little over your head? As cool as the desk is, why spend so much money on a desk when you could buy one at Walmart (or any retailer for that matter) for like $200 at the most. Even when I see that swordfish desk the Most I'd pay for that would be a couple thousand dollars...

radikulram

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Well, honestly I want to learn new things and occupy myself I suppose.

I want the desk big enough to hold 3 monitors.
The motherboard I'm gonna use is bigger than ATX because it has two CPU slots, not one.

I'd also like to run 3GTX 680's or two GTX 690's to power 5760 resolution for ultra settings on the best graphical games. (Or whatever GPU's are out by then).

On one end I'm going to have my PC components at the top, and below that a drawer to keep my stuff in.
On the other end I'm gonna keep my watercooling kit and have the tubes travel across and behind my desk to my PC.

It'll make more sense when I draw it out on paper I suppose but what I'm saying in terms of budget is that I have £6,000 to spend on the monitors, computer hardware and desk.

Anyways I would like to know if grounding will be an issue or not.