Is my PSU enough!?

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hey guy's. I own a Dell Optiplex 390 SFF machine, i3 2021 3.3ghz processor. however, it has a lousy psu - 240W. I was planning on buying a ASUS 6570 Radeon HD 1gb low profile card, but was put off by the required PSU. Yet, I know these are exaggerated at times. Also, I know that with it being a small form factor case, its going to be a adventure finding a PSU compaitable, and dont have the skill nor money to buy a new case, then fit it. So my question is would my current PSU be able to withstand the 6570, if I disabled the card whilst I wern't playing games, then when playing games I enabled it. Please reply in a easy to understand fashion guys. thankyou.

Helltech

Distinguished
I personally wouldn't do it, technically it should work however, I don't see you pulling more then 170w for the whole computer with a 6570. To better help you could you tell us the make and model of the PSU?

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Of the one I'm using?
It's just the standard one given with all Optiplex 390 models, I dont know the name, I'd happily buy a PSU and fit it if there was one, but it doesnt seem I can find one..

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Thanks man, cheers for the link mate. Would you say that the 6570 would run on my current PSU?
+ Sorry for asking this stupid question, I'm new to buying online but, I'm from the UK, and since Newegg is a US site, how would I buy it? like if you know what I mean?
Cause I've never installed a PSU before, so I'd prefer to keep my current power.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Yes, it would probably work, but I still would not recommend it. You would want to look at full amperage/voltage specifications that are on the PSU box before doing this.

Installing a power supply is incredibly easy. Take a photo of where the cables go in. Remove PSU. Install new psu. Put the cables in the same places.

For power use reference:
Power.png

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Alright, cheers mate. So you recommend me buying the PSU you sent me? I'll go measure up my current PSU and see if it would fit. What do you recommend if it doesn't?
Also, a guy somewhere on the forums said he instaled the same card on his small form factor machine, he only had 220W, and said it was fine, the onlt downside being it ran at high temperature's.

Oako123

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Oh, and I dont know how to find out the specs of my PSU as it didn't come with a box.

G

Ya spend the money on a better psu thats one thing you never skimp on.