Sign in with
Your question

Is this backlight bleeding?

Last response: in Components
November 5, 2012 11:37:27 PM

So I have two Asus VE2228 21.5 in lcd 60hz monitors. When I go in and preview a blank screensaver, one screen appears pretty much black but the other is almost a staticky grey. Why is this?? Please help! I dont want to RMA if I don't have to.

Intel i5-3570K Ivy Bridge @ 4Ghz
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
G.Skill Ripjaw X Series RAM (2 sticks of 4GB) @ 8GB 1600Mhz
EVGA GTX 560 base OC to 900Mhz Core 2075 Mem Clock
Seasonic 620W Fully Modular PSU
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Motherboard
Asus DVD/CD ROM
Intel Maplecrest 330 120GB SSD
Coolermaster HAF 922 Case
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
2x Asus 21.5 in full HD LCD/LED Monitor

More about : backlight bleeding

November 5, 2012 11:52:30 PM

Pictures would help to be honest. This is the only way we can tell if your monitor has bleeding or not.
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:03:47 AM

How do they both fare in this test? http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

If you're going to take pictures, turn every light off, place your camera somewhere firm (do not hold with your hands or you'll shake), and set it to a long exposure manually (1s or more probably needed).
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 6, 2012 12:07:02 AM

One may have some kind of dynamic contrast on, If it does the back light will dim to match a dark screen.

Can you give us a link to it on the Asus site or store you got it from? Google gives nothing.

Depending on how it looks at a certain location it may be what is called glow(happens on IPS/PLS screens)

This is glow.
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/4199/dsc0262dr.jpg

Bad enough to see with lights on.
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/7891/dsc0252jn.jpg
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:37:22 AM

Well, you can try returning it, but I suppose they could argue it's within an acceptable margin.

The bleeding pattern is indeed quite consistent, it's just the intensity that's a bit off (especially at the edges on both sides)...

I know you said they have been defaulted to factory settings, but please do manually check if the backlight settings are set to the same value. Try changing these values to the min/max and see how they behave.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 6, 2012 12:38:21 AM

If you wanted to try to reduce it, I would try to look for an eco or backlight option and try to turn it down a bit on a white screen until you find it is as still bright enough for you.

Then check the black screen. This is best done with dynamic contrast OFF(you image seems to have it off.).

I have seen some cheaper Acer screens look even worse then that.
m
l
November 6, 2012 12:48:33 AM

I've double checked and all of the brightness settings are exactly the same ive played with it a lot. Unless you guys know somewhere where there is a slider bar for specific backlight adjustments. I just feel like th ecolors are way off. When I had them both defaulted to the same settings, I would look at an image and it would have an entirely different look between monitors.
m
l
!