Sign in with
Your question

CPU overheating

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 5, 2012 11:51:22 PM

Okay in august I was watching Netflix and my computer shut off. So I turn it back on and before it could boot back up it shuts off again. So the next day I clean it all out and it works fine for about 2 weeks. Then it shuts off again so I wait about a hour to turn it back on. I download core temp and my CPU was at 60c going up to 72c.
So I shut it off and open it up and clean it again and I works fine. And about 3 days later it shuts off. I turn it back on check core temp and its at 40c its a little hot for it its usually around 30-35. So I get on youtube and it still at 40 so I leave it on all night and its fine. So I get back to gaming and I only goes up to 46 and 3-4 days later it shuts off again.
And its been doing this ever since then so I figure I need a new power supply. And about a week ago its overheating again and I can't even run it now. Even after I cleaned it out my motherboard temp is getting up there now to. I still haven't got a new power supply I was waiting for black Friday to get one.
I'm getting new thermal paste soon to but I'm not sure if the power supply is the reason for it. I didn't build this I traded my friend a laptop and a old Mac for it and he got it from iBUYPOWER about 3years ago I had I for about 2 years now and I put a new graphics card in and ram in about January this year.

case-Antec DF-85 Black Steel
Ram-8gb CORSAIR Vengeance
Power supply-NZXT HALE90-750
CPU-amd phenom ii x6 1090t
Heatsink-http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2321
GPU-AMD XFX Radeon HD 6970
Motherboard-MSI 890FXA-GD70

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/87/485666436208503...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/53039243620854...

More about : cpu overheating

a c 109 à CPUs
November 6, 2012 12:20:29 AM

Alright, let me first say, please write in paragraphs. I had to read your post twice to get an idea of what you were saying :) 

Anyway, since your friend got this rig so long ago, I would recommend replacing the thermal paste. You shouldn't need a new PSU as the current one in this rig is actually pretty decent.

I would also check your CPU heatsink for any dust build-up.
m
l
November 6, 2012 1:06:27 AM

mocchan said:
Alright, let me first say, please write in paragraphs. I had to read your post twice to get an idea of what you were saying :) 

Anyway, since your friend got this rig so long ago, I would recommend replacing the thermal paste. You shouldn't need a new PSU as the current one in this rig is actually pretty decent.

I would also check your CPU heatsink for any dust build-up.

Okay i hope that's better. i going to try to do that this weekend. But the whole time it was shutting on and off it wasn't overheating.
m
l
Related resources
a c 116 à CPUs
November 6, 2012 1:32:04 AM

First thing I would check/swap in a case of random rebooting while temperatures are perfectly fine would be the PSU.

In my personal experience, the PSU was at fault in at least 80% of spontaneous random reboot problems without any other obvious symptoms I have seen.
m
l
November 18, 2012 3:02:35 AM

I put new thermal paste on and its still overheating. When i turn it on every second the temp goes up. It starts out at 38c and when i try to log on the my account it when up to over 90c and i had to shut it off.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 5:35:25 PM

If you are 100% certain that your CPU block is installed correctly then my next best guesses would be either a pump problem or missing/insufficient cooling fluid.

If the pump is not working, tubing should warm up on both CPU block hoses over time and the radiator will stay close to room temperature. If fluid is outright missing, hoses won't warm up much at all.
m
l
November 18, 2012 7:47:02 PM

When I cleaned my heat sink the copper was warped a little it look like a air bubble.
Do u think that could be it?
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 8:37:50 PM

A slightly convex shape with the "peak" being in the middle is common. If you mean something else that is either concave or more than slightly convex then yes, it might be a problem.

If it is "warped" as in having a concave bend across the middle in any direction then it is pretty much shot since that means no contact in the middle where most of the heat comes from.
m
l
!