Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building a pc (Hypothetically)

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 29, 2012 6:29:02 PM

Hello,
I will (hopefully) be building a pc in the very near future and so I was doing research. I already know a bit about GPUs and a little about CPUs but that is the extent of my knowledge for the most part. I have $1000 to spend (really can't go much over) and this is a build I came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4sm

So I was wanting to know what people thought about that. Are there incompatible parts? Will I be overpaying for something I don't really need or will be bottlenecked? You tell me.

I should also say that I am wanting to upgrade the graphics card to a 560 ti of the same manufacturer if I can work the budget a bit.

And here is an updated version with the 560 ti, a different case, and a motherboard that I have seen recommended on similar topics as this on this forum. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4vW
June 29, 2012 7:32:00 PM

whats your computer to use for .. personally i would use the cheaper motherboard in the second list and cut the ram to only 8gb 2 x 4 and use the extra money for a higher grade gpu thats on assumption its for gaming really
m
0
l

Best solution

June 29, 2012 7:37:41 PM

On a $900 build I'd do things way differently:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($122.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($246.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $890.75
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

With this build you get a better CPU, PSU, GPU, and hard drive - Hitachi HDs are horrible and have way higher fail rates than anything else you can get.
Share
Related resources
June 29, 2012 8:58:19 PM

Thank you both very much. I'm seriously looking into that build...

After doing some more research and adding a SSD (because I wants one lol) I found that sticking to the i5 2500k was just as good as the i5 3500k (after overclocking 2500k) and cost 30ish dollars less.

I thought it was funny that I was about to change to that exact GPU when I looked back here.

Here is an updated version: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT

The only difference between yours and this one is the CPU and the addition of a SSD. I think the case looks more bland than I was hoping but if it works well and has good airflow and other people recommend it then I couldn't care less.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($122.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($246.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $927.75
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
June 29, 2012 9:16:43 PM

DaedalusDragon said:
Thank you both very much. I'm seriously looking into that build...

After doing some more research and adding a SSD (because I wants one lol) I found that sticking to the i5 2500k was just as good as the i5 3500k (after overclocking 2500k) and cost 30ish dollars less.

I thought it was funny that I was about to change to that exact GPU when I looked back here.

Here is an updated version: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT

The only difference between yours and this one is the CPU and the addition of a SSD. I think the case looks more bland than I was hoping but if it works well and has good airflow and other people recommend it then I couldn't care less.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b4VT/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($122.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($246.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $927.75
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)


You'll need the 3570K to get the most from that Z77 motherboard and then switch the SSD with the 128GB Crucial M4 - the Force drives from Corsair use the horrible Sandforce controller which is known to have lots of issues and read-write errors. You could also drop the SSD entirely and go with a faster GPU as well - either the 7870 or GTX 670.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 4:22:58 AM

Eh won't the gpu get hot in that small case and the CPU since its ivy it runs hotter as well
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 4:32:25 AM

ggil24 said:
Eh won't the gpu get hot in that small case and the CPU since its ivy it runs hotter as well


Never seen it happen before.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 4:33:52 AM

No, it won't. That case has good airflow. Also, Ib only runs that way when OCed real high, so not a concern.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 4:55:24 AM

Oh okay, we'll that's good then :) 
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 6:37:10 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b6Ip

This is REALLY close to the final version. I have checked and rechecked everything and everything should fit and work well. The blu ray player is optional but I like it in there so unless 30 dollars is all I need to get this in about 3 weeks then I will gladly keep it. So, what are everyones thoughts?
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 7:54:27 PM

DaedalusDragon said:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b6Ip

This is REALLY close to the final version. I have checked and rechecked everything and everything should fit and work well. The blu ray player is optional but I like it in there so unless 30 dollars is all I need to get this in about 3 weeks then I will gladly keep it. So, what are everyones thoughts?


If you drop the BD-R burner you could upgrade to the 7950 but you can't go wrong either way.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 10:43:25 PM

I'm wrapping up as I think I have a near perfect build for my preference.

I looked at the upgrade to the 7950 but it would be 50 dollars more (with a decent manufacturer) and I would like to be able to watch blu-rays on my PC. I also saw that after OCing the 7870 a small amount I would have stock performance for the 7950 and seeing as I don't plan on overclocking a lot (as I am new to it and would like my computer to live for a long time) or at least for a while. In either event This GPU is, after comparing them, approximately 500% better than my Radeon HD 5570 that is in my current PC.

I did change from an Antec One case to a Rosewill Challenger-u3 because A) I like blue led fan =) and B) it has the 2 exhaust fans like the Antec one but it also has the intake fan in the front for better air flow. If anyone has used the challenger-u3 I would love some more info because all of the details I am looking for are nowhere to be found.

Info I hope someone knows:
1. Does everything I have fit in it?
2. Does it come with all of the cables to utilize the usb 3.0 headers on my mobo?

Version #ihopeit'sdone:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b92u

P.S.: I have a choice between Windows 7 64 bit for free from a program at my school and Windows 8 preview release 64 bit. Which should I pick. I know nothing. Enlighten me. lol
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 8:09:03 AM

DaedalusDragon said:
I'm wrapping up as I think I have a near perfect build for my preference.

I looked at the upgrade to the 7950 but it would be 50 dollars more (with a decent manufacturer) and I would like to be able to watch blu-rays on my PC. I also saw that after OCing the 7870 a small amount I would have stock performance for the 7950 and seeing as I don't plan on overclocking a lot (as I am new to it and would like my computer to live for a long time) or at least for a while. In either event This GPU is, after comparing them, approximately 500% better than my Radeon HD 5570 that is in my current PC.

I did change from an Antec One case to a Rosewill Challenger-u3 because A) I like blue led fan =) and B) it has the 2 exhaust fans like the Antec one but it also has the intake fan in the front for better air flow. If anyone has used the challenger-u3 I would love some more info because all of the details I am looking for are nowhere to be found.

Info I hope someone knows:
1. Does everything I have fit in it?
2. Does it come with all of the cables to utilize the usb 3.0 headers on my mobo?

Version #ihopeit'sdone:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b92u

P.S.: I have a choice between Windows 7 64 bit for free from a program at my school and Windows 8 preview release 64 bit. Which should I pick. I know nothing. Enlighten me. lol


The Rosewill Challenger is a fine choice. It will come with the necessary connectors to hook up to the USB headers on your motherboard. I like the Antec One because of the cable management features it has.

As far as Windows goes - it's pretty much been the general consensus that Windows 8 sucks - it's a great cell phone operating system but it's a terrible desktop operating system. Stick with Windows 7.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 9:26:19 AM

lol ok. In the end I did decide to go back to the Antec one. Just better quality it looked like and I heard some baddish things about the cable management of the challenger. I also ended up liking the look much more. 24 hours ago I looked at the Antec one and thought it was bad looking... now I love it. Gonna add a NZXT Sentry-2 if I can add in the extra 25 dollars.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 3:05:26 PM

Best answer selected by DaedalusDragon.
m
0
l
!