Sign in with
Your question

First ever build (what can go with what?)

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2012 6:50:53 PM

Ok so I am building my first ever desktop and i need some help deciding if some parts will work together and if i will have enough room in my tower to use them.

I have an old sony vaio pcv-rs520 desktop and i am cleaning it out and putting a whole new set in it.

i have a couple of parts that i am looking for it but am not sure if they will work

a power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

graphics card

processor

and a motherboard

All together this is a cheap build and i'm not looking to spend much more than that but i was wondering if they will go together or is there anything else i can get that will work better for not much more.

also will my old cd and dvd rom work with todays games and the motherboard or should i buy a new one?
If so can someone explain how to get them out of the case because i can't get them to come out.

Thank you :) 

More about : build

June 29, 2012 7:25:23 PM

the motherboard and cpu won't work you cpu is socket am3+ and the motherboard is socket FM1 i don't know the case tobe able to help you out on the rest and don't forget to get ram too
June 29, 2012 7:31:47 PM

thank you. Which would be better to keep the motherboard or the cpu and do you happen to know of a good cpu that will work with the motherboard or vice versa?
Related resources
June 29, 2012 7:45:43 PM

This really isn't a great computer, even at that price. I don't know what parts you have, what you need, what your budget is, or what you want to use it for, but:

CPU - Intel Core i3-2120 - $125
Mobo - ASRock Z68 Pro3 - $105
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 6850 - $135 ($120 after rebate, same one you picked)
PSU - PC Power & Cooling 500W - $80 ($60 after rebate)

This is assuming you'll be gaming. The i3 will outperform the FX-6100 in virtually all games, and has a motherboard that's got room for upgrades. For a bit more, you could switch it to the ASRock Z77 Pro3, which has even more room for upgrades, but that just depends on how long you think this will last you. The PSU you picked is horrible, and costs the same as the PCP&C I've listed (which is fantastic).
June 29, 2012 8:05:51 PM

What is your budget? What is your purpose, (gaming, H.E., video editing)? Don't buy AMD, Bulldozer is not good, read toms reviews on it first. Also read how to ask for help.
June 29, 2012 8:13:48 PM

mousseng said:
This really isn't a great computer, even at that price. I don't know what parts you have, what you need, what your budget is, or what you want to use it for, but:

CPU - Intel Core i3-2120 - $125
Mobo - ASRock Z68 Pro3 - $105
GPU - Sapphire Radeon 6850 - $135 ($120 after rebate, same one you picked)
PSU - PC Power & Cooling 500W - $80 ($60 after rebate)

This is assuming you'll be gaming. The i3 will outperform the FX-6100 in virtually all games, and has a motherboard that's got room for upgrades. For a bit more, you could switch it to the ASRock Z77 Pro3, which has even more room for upgrades, but that just depends on how long you think this will last you. The PSU you picked is horrible, and costs the same as the PCP&C I've listed (which is fantastic).

One of the big problems with using an intel build is that you will most likely end up paying more for an intel CPU/MOBO, which you have stated you (mobo will most likley have less features on intel build). If you look at the value of 965 benchmark it is a huge difference from the 2120. A low price intel build isnt worth it. while the scores aernt much different in speed

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965

To answer you question about the Drive, you will most likley be able to use it as long as it has SATA connections. Just take off the side panels of your case and pull the drive out, it will most likley have brackets.
Please dont jump to intel is superior any day. While it is correct if you have a ton of money so spend, but in most cases for a budget it isnt!
June 29, 2012 8:15:39 PM

Sorry i didn't post enough info, thank you for your help.

I need an m-atx motherboard and i have a $650 budget

I would like to play games doesn't have to be on high but i do want some room for upgrades.

@mano I will go read up on how to ask questions, i had read one about posting already but i will read up on the other one just to be right next time
June 29, 2012 8:17:53 PM

Just adding on, you case may not be able to switch backplates for another MOBO, which will be a big problem. I suggest buying the case I put in my build, it is very good for the price!

If you want to be able to upgrade DONT GET MICRO ATX as there are not as many connections as there are on a full ATX MOBO
June 29, 2012 8:22:01 PM

I will take the advice and sacrifice the cash for the case (gf going to kill me) and go for the full ATX if i can.

i got this case from my parents friend who just recently bought a new computer which is why its the case i was going to use.

and the back plate does come off (took me a minute to figure out how though)

June 29, 2012 9:31:26 PM

abhop26 said:
One of the big problems with using an intel build is that you will most likely end up paying more for an intel CPU/MOBO, which you have stated you (mobo will most likley have less features on intel build). If you look at the value of 965 benchmark it is a huge difference from the 2120. A low price intel build isnt worth it. while the scores aernt much different in speed

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965

To answer you question about the Drive, you will most likley be able to use it as long as it has SATA connections. Just take off the side panels of your case and pull the drive out, it will most likley have brackets.
Please dont jump to intel is superior any day. While it is correct if you have a ton of money so spend, but in most cases for a budget it isnt!

Passmark values represent only the synthetic nature and the Phenom 965 wins due to having two more physical cores despite its slower architecture.

Intel CPUs are dominating the Best CPU for the Money chart this month, and with a good reason. They are much more tolerant of higher-tier GPUs before they hit a bottleneck. The most competitive offering from AMD is the FX-6100, which will require significant overclocking and much higher power bills to match the Intel counterpart.

Do not get me wrong however; AMD CPUs can indeed game decently well. They may be cheaper to buy into. However, that's little consolation when you're missing out on frame rates because a 3-year old architecture is limiting GPU performance.

It's with that reason I suggest the OP the i3-2120, just like mousseng did. This little dual core has the power to comfortably and consistently outperform the Phenom II series.

For more information on picking a sub-$200 CPU, you can read this article.
!