Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GeForce GTX 680 Question Please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2012 12:19:07 AM

Hey guys, I am just finishing up my build for my gaming computer around $1300. I just decided recently to replace the 7850 with the GeForce GTX 680. The only problem is there are a lot of brands and I don't see the difference between them. I was wondering what the difference was, and if you have any recommendations.

Here is my build,
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Thanks,
Alex
May 6, 2012 12:51:30 AM

Well if you're going after the standard 8reference nvidia model) gtx 680 there's no difference but the customer's service each company can provide. I've a gtx 680 from MSI and it's just as good as a gigabyte, evga, etc. If maybe you are planning in getting a non reference card I'd advice you the GTX 680 twinfrozr from MSI, is almost as expensive as the reference one but it's way more cooler (I didn't get mine for like 2 days, I should have waited lol) . Regards
m
l
May 6, 2012 12:54:20 AM

davemaster84 said:
Well if you're going after the standard 8reference nvidia model) gtx 680 there's no difference but the customer's service each company can provide. I've a gtx 680 from MSI and it's just as good as a gigabyte, evga, etc. If maybe you are planning in getting a non reference card I'd advice you the GTX 680 twinfrozr from MSI, is almost as expensive as the reference one but it's way more cooler (I didn't get mine for like 2 days, I should have waited lol) . Regards

Thats good to know thanks. What do you mean by "non reference card" and "reference card"? whats the difference?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 6, 2012 1:08:49 AM

Non reference cards come with various after market cooling solutions, where reference cards do not. As far as temperature ranges... if you do go with with let's say an EVGA version of the 680, you can use their precision X tool which allows you to set up an automatic fan curve which works great. The curve's function as a way to turn fan settings to a certain % as the graphics card hits different temperature ranges. You can also manually configure the curve if you feel that you need to do so. Owning a 680, recently I put in a nice gaming session on Battlefield 3 and my GPU temperature never broke 70 degrees (C of course. That's with full settings at 1080p. Temperature does not seem to be an issue with these cards, even on reference cards.
May 6, 2012 1:13:08 AM

As far as recommendations, EVGA is a very solid brand and they seem to have stock up at Newegg at various different times of day. The F5 method worked for me :) 
m
l
May 6, 2012 1:17:46 AM

Thats good to know thanks. Never heard of reference or non reference until now. And I'l look into the EVGA. Whats the F5 method?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 1:29:00 AM

nudd said:
As far as recommendations, EVGA is a very solid brand and they seem to have stock up at Newegg at various different times of day. The F5 method worked for me :) 

Yea their new warranty is Solid gold to:) 
m
l
May 6, 2012 1:34:32 AM

f5 = page refresh
m
l
May 6, 2012 2:19:52 AM

So about refreshing Newegg, you saw some in stock today, May 5th? How often do you hit refresh and what time during the day?

How long do you sit there?!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 2:21:23 AM

lol, its at random times, there is no guaranteed times of stock
m
l
May 6, 2012 2:41:38 AM

But did you see them in today?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 2:43:48 AM

I don't watch it every day.... i would rather just get a 670 than be a f5 refresh hog. NVIDIA isnt as good of yields for 680 so basically people are buying them right out of their hands.... the 670 is gonna be another card that will suffer with quantitys
m
l
May 6, 2012 3:00:38 AM

Ah ok thanks guys. So I'll look more into EVGA, would you say non reference is worth it for gaming? or just stick with the basic reference?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 3:06:02 AM

Basically what ever you can get your hands on. reference will oc just like Non reference will
m
l
May 6, 2012 3:07:24 AM

Alright, was going to wait till June 1st to start ordering, do you think it will still be hard to get one by then?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 4:17:33 AM

No, shouldnt be... right now i am hearing since TSMC has increased their production for 28nm, NVIDIA will be able to roll out more Kepler cards... so... quantity should be steady by june
m
l
May 6, 2012 4:25:42 AM

And as for refreshing... on a day off I just refreshed about 3 times in a 5 hour time frame and managed to get an EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked + with no problem. Hopefully we could be assistance. Rockdpm is right, since TSMC has increased their production we should definitely see an influx of GTX hitting shelves soon.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 4:33:21 AM

Yea and we'd be glad to answer any questions you may have
m
l
May 6, 2012 5:37:55 AM

Thank guys, you've been incredibly helpful! Which of the EVGAs would you suggest? So I can keep an eye on it as it gets closer to the time I need order.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 1:47:06 PM

Like i said... whatever you can get your hands on.
m
l
May 7, 2012 12:13:16 AM

Best answer selected by Hopz.
m
l
May 7, 2012 12:13:48 AM

K thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 12:16:57 AM

No problem. If you have further questions, please fill out the form under the appropriate thread section. Thank You!
m
l
!