GeForce GTX 680 Question Please

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hey guys, I am just finishing up my build for my gaming computer around $1300. I just decided recently to replace the 7850 with the GeForce GTX 680. The only problem is there are a lot of brands and I don't see the difference between them. I was wondering what the difference was, and if you have any recommendations.

Here is my build,
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=19187772&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=12fmoh8qr3t61

Thanks,
Alex

Solution
Non reference cards come with various after market cooling solutions, where reference cards do not. As far as temperature ranges... if you do go with with let's say an EVGA version of the 680, you can use their precision X tool which allows you to set up an automatic fan curve which works great. The curve's function as a way to turn fan settings to a certain % as the graphics card hits different temperature ranges. You can also manually configure the curve if you feel that you need to do so. Owning a 680, recently I put in a nice gaming session on Battlefield 3 and my GPU temperature never broke 70 degrees (C of course. That's with full settings at 1080p. Temperature does not seem to be an issue with these cards, even on reference...

davemaster84

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Well if you're going after the standard 8reference nvidia model) gtx 680 there's no difference but the customer's service each company can provide. I've a gtx 680 from MSI and it's just as good as a gigabyte, evga, etc. If maybe you are planning in getting a non reference card I'd advice you the GTX 680 twinfrozr from MSI, is almost as expensive as the reference one but it's way more cooler (I didn't get mine for like 2 days, I should have waited lol) . Regards

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Thats good to know thanks. What do you mean by "non reference card" and "reference card"? whats the difference?

nudd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Non reference cards come with various after market cooling solutions, where reference cards do not. As far as temperature ranges... if you do go with with let's say an EVGA version of the 680, you can use their precision X tool which allows you to set up an automatic fan curve which works great. The curve's function as a way to turn fan settings to a certain % as the graphics card hits different temperature ranges. You can also manually configure the curve if you feel that you need to do so. Owning a 680, recently I put in a nice gaming session on Battlefield 3 and my GPU temperature never broke 70 degrees (C of course. That's with full settings at 1080p. Temperature does not seem to be an issue with these cards, even on reference cards.

Solution

nudd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
As far as recommendations, EVGA is a very solid brand and they seem to have stock up at Newegg at various different times of day. The F5 method worked for me :)

I don't watch it every day.... i would rather just get a 670 than be a f5 refresh hog. NVIDIA isnt as good of yields for 680 so basically people are buying them right out of their hands.... the 670 is gonna be another card that will suffer with quantitys

nudd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
And as for refreshing... on a day off I just refreshed about 3 times in a 5 hour time frame and managed to get an EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked + with no problem. Hopefully we could be assistance. Rockdpm is right, since TSMC has increased their production we should definitely see an influx of GTX hitting shelves soon.