Problem with "break" on screen during movement...please help!!!

Brian8377

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hello guys! First time poster, great site! I'm having a problem with my new Eyefinity system...currently, I have it set up in portrait mode 3x1 and on my center screen whenever something moves up/down on the screen, the image is staggered, as if the refresh rate is off or something. Now, here's the weird part...this "line" moves from left to right on my screen. (It would be bottom to top in normal landscape mode). Haven't timed it, but it might take about 10-15 minutes to travel the 1080 lines in that direction.

This "line" or "break" in the image is only present when moving up/down the screen when in portrait, (or it would be left/right when in landscape.)

Now, this HAS to have something to do with the video card...here's why. I have three identical monitors, Dell U2312HM's...two are hooked to the display ports and one is hooked to one of the DVI ports. This only happens on the monitor that is hooked to the DVI port. If I plug a different monitor into the DVI port the problem moves to that monitor and the original "problem" monitor is now working fine. I've tried both DVI ports as well, they BOTH do the same thing...

I've also tried unchecking "enable desktop composition" in performance options in windows, this actually takes the line away, however, then all three displays have alignment issues when moving up/down the screen. Not so much a hard "line" like before, more like an old tv trying to keep up...

So it seems as if the video card has some conflict using the DVI port along with the 2 display ports??? I don't know what to do, but it's unusable for video like this. I would sincerely appreciate any help anyone could offer...thanks!

I've also

My system is just built, specs are as follows:

Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Asus Sabertooth X79 mother board
Intel i7 3930K processor
32gigs of ram
Corsair 90g ssd
Hitachi 2tb 7200rpm hdd
XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB video card (support for 4 monitors)

Please help...!!!

Brian

Brian8377

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Ok...here's some results...

Ladscape or portrait doesn't matter, it also doesn't matter if it's in "eyefinity" mode or just 3 duplicate desktops...

HOWEVER, I found something that may help. The video card has 2 Display port, 1 HDMI, and 2 DVI ports. Now, since I have three monitors, I can't use ALL display port or ALL DVI connections, I have to split them up. This is when the problem arises. Which ever monitor is the "odd" one, that's the one that displays the problem. So, if monitors 1 and 2 are using DVI, they will be fine and monitor 3 on the display port will have the issue. If monitors 2 and 3 are on display ports then they will be fine, but then monitor 1 on the DVI will have the issue.

This is easily replicated by just swapping connections...the issue always moves to the "odd" monitor.

Is this a bad video card?

Brian8377

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Don't have access to that unless I purchase another card...

Maybe I should just return this card and get something else...?

I was looking for a card to run 4 monitors and this one seemed like the best deal, but it's been alot of problems and the fan is very loud as well. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but this is for a music recording workstation, so noise is a problem.

Are there any eyefinity cards you could recommend that might suit me better? There's not going to be any gaming or anything like that, just display only, but it needs to support 4 monitors. The quieter the better.

That was a know isssue with Eyefinity but I thought it had been fixed in the last driver or maybe more. I know it has been fixed on mine running 12.4 drivers I am running 3 27" Asus monitors. Basically it is like running a game without vsync where you would get screen tearing.

I remember reading on Guru3d that AMD was releasing a driver to fix it and that was a month or two back.

Brian8377

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I've got the latest Catalyst 12.4...I don't know what to do...I can't even use the computer now, it freezes so often.

Brian8377

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Thanks for the advice...I had a bunch of issues with the drivers/windows, finally re-installed windows and everything, and now it's worse! But, I'll play with it some more and see if I can "tune" it out...