Changing a theme's Visual style (.msstyle) + shellstyle sh..

February 27, 2005 9:37:02 AM

Hi,

I found a nice theme which doesn't give the usual .theme file which you load
in the Display control panel. What it does give you though, is a Visual style
file of extension .msstyle, and a shell style file of name shellstyle.dll.
Upon further investigation, I have been able to find similar files under
/windows/resources/themes/. I suppose that they are used to actually store
the information needed by the .theme file.

Now, with the background info laid out, would anyone know how to either:

a) Create a new theme that utilizes the info provided by the two files shown
above,
b) or modify an existing style (such as Luna aka Windows XP standard)?

The Read Me included with the download unfortunately makes no reference as
to how to actually perform the installation.

Thanks!

Just in case it's needed info, I'm running XP Pro SP2
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:15:02 PM

place the shellstyle.dll in a subfolder of the folder containing the ..msstyle file. Imitate the directory structure found under:

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\

so that your folder with the .msstyle file contains a folder named "shell" which contains a folder named "NormalColor" which contains your shellstyle.dll file.

Double-click your .msstyles file, the display properties dialog should open with your style showing in the 'windows and buttons' drop-list. click apply.

Select your wallpaper, custom icons etc the normal way.

Open the Display properties applet again and on the 'Themes' tab, use the 'Save As..' button to save your theme. That will create your .theme file.

Keith

"Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F3FCB27-ACAC-4EF1-978C-3EA198F45E28@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I found a nice theme which doesn't give the usual .theme file which you load
> in the Display control panel. What it does give you though, is a Visual style
> file of extension .msstyle, and a shell style file of name shellstyle.dll.
> Upon further investigation, I have been able to find similar files under
> /windows/resources/themes/. I suppose that they are used to actually store
> the information needed by the .theme file.
>
> Now, with the background info laid out, would anyone know how to either:
>
> a) Create a new theme that utilizes the info provided by the two files shown
> above,
> b) or modify an existing style (such as Luna aka Windows XP standard)?
>
> The Read Me included with the download unfortunately makes no reference as
> to how to actually perform the installation.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Just in case it's needed info, I'm running XP Pro SP2
September 24, 2009 6:58:14 AM

I have same problem.
accordingly as in answer, when i double click .msstyle file dialog box open but in "windows and button" the selected option is "Windows XP" instead of my msstyle file.
Apply button also disabled.

Why??
October 14, 2009 11:21:58 AM

hyrahul64 said:
I have same problem.
accordingly as in answer, when i double click .msstyle file dialog box open but in "windows and button" the selected option is "Windows XP" instead of my msstyle file.
Apply button also disabled.

Why??

u need to download UXTheme Multi-Patcher to enable the theme to work properly.
this is the site that taught me all about themes and how to use the themes
http://customize.org/xpthemes/help/How_To_Use_Xp_Themes
!