Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Switching i5 for i7

Last response: in CPUs
November 6, 2012 3:53:37 AM

So I built up my PC a couple months ago and it was my first build. I have an i5 installed because I had plans to upgrade to an i7 in the future. I'm wondering if I can just switch the processors out and if it will all be good. Do I need to do anything else after I switch them out?

Thanks

More about : switching

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
November 6, 2012 4:12:08 AM

No, you can just swap it without any issues :) 

What do you plan to do with your rig? It may be better to stick with your i5 to save a few bucks if all you're going to do is game.
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2012 4:19:07 AM

i5's are just as good for gaming (if thats what its for) put the 300 bucks into your gpu you will see a much bigger performance difference
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2012 4:26:50 AM

jasont78 said:
i5's are just as good for gaming (if thats what its for) put the 300 bucks into your gpu you will see a much bigger performance difference

I'm not a gamer, I'm really just hoping I'll see an improvement in editing photos and videos and I've read that i7 would be good for that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2012 4:49:19 AM

codycrazybull said:
I'm not a gamer, I'm really just hoping I'll see an improvement in editing photos and videos and I've read that i7 would be good for that.

sweet, an i7 is definately what you want then dunno if you have an i5'k' there is plenty more performance in them to be had if you wanna overclock, just a thought.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 6, 2012 4:50:25 AM

If you're doing photo/video editing, an i7 will definitely benefit you. I've tried my usual video renders without Hyperthreading on my i7, boy did I see a difference :lol:  Saved me a few minutes...

Might not seem like a lot but time = money and productivity for me :lol: 
m
l
November 6, 2012 4:57:50 AM

Best answer selected by codycrazybull.
m
l
November 6, 2012 4:58:23 AM

Awesome! Thanks for your help!
m
l
!