Higher Resolution=Slower Games?

gabrielorie

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hi there, today i sold my old 17" HP Monitor and i'm looking to upgrade. I want to buy an Asus VW246H (24", 1920×1080 resoloution) but i was wondering if this new resoloution size will decrease the fps in my games, i like to max games out, and record with fraps so i'm guessing this will be a problem in the performance? And I have an Ati Radeon HD 5770 that i don't plan on overclocking or running in crossfire.

Solution
Yes, a higher resolution takes more graphics power to render and will therefore have fewer frames per second on the same hardware.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
It depends, if you set your resolution higher then the answer is yes. If you run at your current res then why buy the new monitor?

You will either have to also buy a new GPU to increase performance or have lower fps,

The 6000 seroes of AMD and 500 GTX series have come down in price significantly.

gabrielorie

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
@Chesteracorgi That sucks cause i plan on using this monitor to it's full extent... I bought this GPU last year and i hardly got to use it, it's been packed down cause of heating issues, i'd love to sell it and buy a 6870 but i don't know where to sell it :/

@kajabla Do you know how much frames fewer? My old resoution was 1280x1024 and i used to get 80-100 fps in Need For Speed Shift 2 on high settings, how much frames i might lose if i use the same settings but the new resolution?

gabrielorie

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
@kajabla Ok thanks, i don't care for high fps, i just want over 30, nothing more, nothing less :)

@davemaster84 Damn, i don't plan on playing crysis but in the future when games like Tomb Raider 2012 come out i won't like to think how my card will perform, since the card you have is better than mines i think. Mabye i should overclock it but then i might burn something, well when i have the courage to do so i'll open a new thread :p

I really want to buy this monitor, but if i play games on a lower resolution, for example 1600×900 will i get grainy effects?

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

In my experience with LCD monitors, playing a game outside of the native resolution makes the games look god awful.