Sign in with
Your question

Can this issue be corrected by a better video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2012 1:32:30 AM

Hello,

One of the things that bothers me when playing PC games is when the world I'm reaking havoc in, be it Left 4 Dead 2 or GTA IV, starts to reset itself and scrub my descrtruction clean. Be it dissappearing zombie bodies and blood splatter on walls in L4D or bullet holes in cars and defeated enemies in GTA IV. Is this something that could be corrected by a video card with more ram or is it just an individual game engine setting? I understand that after awhile, the environment needs to be reset to free up resources for further world modification, but it just seems like it should last at least until I leave the area that I'm in.
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 1:36:57 AM

Austin1789 said:
Hello,

One of the things that bothers me when playing PC games is when the world I'm reaking havoc in, be it Left 4 Dead 2 or GTA IV, starts to reset itself and scrub my descrtruction clean. Be it dissappearing zombie bodies and blood splatter on walls in L4D or bullet holes in cars and defeated enemies in GTA IV. Is this something that could be corrected by a video card with more ram or is it just an individual game engine setting? I understand that after awhile, the environment needs to be reset to free up resources for further world modification, but it just seems like it should last at least until I leave the area that I'm in.

The engine puts a limit on "how many of this" and "how many of that" there should be at a time, this as you said, is to free up memory and put less of a load on the gpu. A video card wouldn't correct those settings unless the actual game had the option to allow you to do so.
m
l
a c 254 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 3:18:28 AM

Some games do have the options in the settings to allow certian things to be more than normal. Like in MW3 you can determine how many dead bodies should be laying around before the limit is reached. You can also round off the smoke edges and add texture to the terrain and it does depend on the video card that you have. So if you have a high end video card with more than 1gb of video ram then you should be in good shape. If you have two cards then you are in better shape even more so.
As an example If you have a GTX 550Ti and I have a GTX 680 then I'm going to be able to adjust any and all settings that are available in the game , while you may only be able to just play the game and at lower settings.
So that's why it's always advisable to get the best video card that you can aford and not try to skimp on that.
m
l
Related resources
May 13, 2012 12:53:17 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely eyeing the 680. I haven't played MW3 yet, but it sounds like they moved in the right direction with the setting you mentioned. I'm primarily a PC gamer, so I just wished more developers would take advantage of the hardware I've spent money on. Thanks for the replies!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 13, 2012 3:42:24 AM

Austin1789 said:
Yeah, I'm definitely eyeing the 680. I haven't played MW3 yet, but it sounds like they moved in the right direction with the setting you mentioned. I'm primarily a PC gamer, so I just wished more developers would take advantage of the hardware I've spent money on. Thanks for the replies!

They do take an advantage on the hardware you have! Hence you can choose the settings you wan like texture detail, mesh detail, effects detail and so on which depending on the hardware you have will run smooth or not. I wouldn't recommend the GTX 680. What I would recommend is getting the gtx 670 which is 100 dollars cheaper and performs a little bit worse than the 680 (like 5-10 fps less). I think that the gtx 670 will be the best bang for buck in the market
m
l
!