Solved

Crossfire question ( you can call me a dumb ass too :)

i have a powercolor hd 6950, on the box of the graphics card it says "for an AMD Crossfirex system, a second AMD Radeon HD 6800 graphics card, an AMD Crossfirex motherboard and one Crossfirex bridge interconnect cable are required"

So does this mean i can get a 6870 or a 6850 and crossfire it w/ my 6950?

I have a friend whom i able to buy a 6850 off for a good price, so i was wondering.

I was always told i needed another 6950 or a 6970 for crossfire.

If i am reading this wrong please feel free to call me a dumb ass.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about crossfire question call dumb
  1. Yes those two cards can be bridged in an xfire config.
  2. Best answer
    They have to be the same cards a 6850 with a 6850 or 6870 with a 6870 the cards can be from different manufacturer but must be the same model.
  3. What richard said. Basically if you want to get into this "crossfire" thing, you need another 6950 and a Crossfire Bridge cable... make sure you power supply is up to the task as well. do you have 850 watt psu?
  4. dudewitbow said:

+1

from the chart looks like 6900 and 6800 is not compatible......
  5. Even if they were, the best card under-clocks itself to the 2nd card so you wouldnt be getting that much a performance increase.
  6. Yes i have a 1000w PSU, Maybe there is a mistake on the box. I wonder why they would do that.

thanks for info.

My system:

i7-3820
    ASUS P9X79 pro
    H80
    16 GB of ripjaw x series ram
    hd 6950
    Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120gb
    Caviar black 2tb
    WD external 2TB
    Cougar CMX 1000w PSU
    NZXT Switch 810
  7. Best answer selected by starcore.
  8. dumb ass (you asked for it and know one else said it, feel better now)
  9. They do not have to be the same, they need to be of the same family. Any 2 6800, 6500 or similar will work (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICrossFire_comp_req.aspx).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire AMD Graphics Product