To moderators: why my post deleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selfmade_exe

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I actually wrote the word "bump" once and then it was removed, but the second time it was not a "bump"!

This is outrageous, even if this is considered bump then at least give a fraking warning, its not right to delete post like this!

I didn't delete your thread, I'm just telling you what I see when I looked it up.

There was a bump, a warning, and then a post asking if anyone had input, which is essentially another bump.

Your thread didn't have any responses, so you're welcome to start a new thread if you'd like.

selfmade_exe

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I didnt blamed you. Because of the fact that there were no responses and not to just add another post, the most logical think is to ask for input again.
You are moderator so you can tell others not to go frenzy and deleting posts, unless its a directive of the forum (if so then this is very bad for the forum)

I was the one who deleted it, I was also the one who posted the warning with a link to the R.o.C. If you cannot be bothered to read the rules of a forum then don't get upset when when action is taken because you have fallen foul of them.

selfmade_exe

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
You also seem to be a baptist for baptising my post as "bump", so think about changing your career from moderator to baptist, or perhaps to a cop if you are so "law" upholder. So next time you are going to delete a post just like this, first think if you like this to be also done to you. You may have the right to delete a post but at least give a warning of doing so. This behaviour is bad for the foum's reputation. And as I explained above, I think it was a logical think to do. You said "dont bump", and I did it!

This forum has rules put in place for a reason and when you post a thread in this forum you essenitaly agree to these rules. There is a rules thread stickied at the top of each forum outlining the rules and it's your responsibility to read and follow these rules.
You do seem to be taking this thread deletion way too personal and when you start criticizing Moderators for doing their job you run the risk of further action.

It is a fairly simple thing to make a new thread and since your original thread had no responses perhaps this will be an opportunity to rewrite the thread to attract some responses.

Well that isn't the first thread of yours that you've bumped is it? So why complain when action is taken?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/64510-63-installer-unistaller-deleted-everything

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283907-45-5800k-problem]

If I made a thread, and it was getting buried by other threads, and I wanted it to get more attention, I would just add a post, sometimes even just type the word 'bump' in a new post. That new response bumps the thread back up to the top of the active threads.

Because that thread already had it's time at the top of the list to get replies. If it didn't and it gets bumped back to the top, it just knocks down all the other active threads. And people posting replies don't want to see the same thread(s) bumped up over and over when they are trying to assist in threads.

For some reason people think that they have one shot at making a thread in the forum and they want to get answers to this thread. What they don't understand is that by continuing to bump the tread with a bump post it makes the thread longer and longer. If a thread is getting no response then just make a new one , re-word it to help attract an answer and alert the Moderators to close the other thread and/or delete it.
Sometimes people aren't satisfied with the answers that they got and are unwilling to accept the fact that they may not get an answer that they are satisfied with so they want to keep bumping their post. Just make a new one , you don't get charged for it and you can change it to include the info that was already posted that you didn't like.

It seems silly to me that someone would get highly insulted that their thread was deleted when they can just make a new one.

randomizer

Champion
The problem with bumping is twofold:

1. It is unfair to those who don't bump, because it pushes their threads further into oblivion.

2. If everyone does it then nobody is better off than if nobody did it, except that all of the threads will be full of short and meaningless bump posts.

If you have something worthwhile to add to the thread then by all means do so, but otherwise consider that there are others who also want help.

It's far better to ask yourself why your thread didn't get a reply. When I look at a post to see if I can help someone, there are things I look for.

1. If the person was lazy and didn't post the information they needed to, I'm probably going to be just as lazy and not answer them. It takes real effort and time to respond to a post properly, so show me that you really want my help.

2. If the person lacks the intelligence or knowledge required to follow instructions, I'm also less likely to help. Good grammar and punctuation, carefully worded requests, a statement of what you have done to resolve your problem on your own... all these things will help your cause.

I even wrote a how to ask for troubleshooting post at one point.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-troubleshooting
Rarely used by anyone, but when it is, BOY do they get help.

Going in the other direction, where some find themselves here clueless, and most often an easy answer is the solution.

So, even the easy or hard problem has the same and fair chance at a solution, just don't bump

selfmade_exe

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Ok, to settle things down:
The thing that made me go to this conversation was the fact that my post deleted just like that.

And about the bumps: You ppl have right that it buries other posts, BUT: whats the point of reposting the same thread, even with little changes? Isnt it the same? IMHO the "bump" (of course, not the actual word) is just to take attention of more ppl, since everyday different ppl are logged in, and also its nothing compared to the process of contacting the moderators, wait to delete it, and the repost the same thing.
And @randomizer, even if a thread remain for too long with nothing but question(s) and bumps, then sure its time to be a subject to deletion.

Thats all!

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I too, am guilty of bumping a thread before I knew better (Don't tell Mousemonkey) and it is now clear why this isn't acceptable. Your reasons make sense.

A few years ago I also had a thread removed and I still don't know why but, I'm pretty sure it didn't violate any rules. It also wasn't antagonistic towards anyone in any manor.

So here's the thing, When I make a post I sometimes spend a considerable amount of time arranging my thoughts and checking facts. Many times links are provided to back up these thoughts and facts.

So as long as the post isn't just spam or purposely antagonistic, couldn't a link be created to the deleted post for a limited time (Along with the reason for deletion) so the member could salvage some of his (or her) hard work and research when deciding how to better word it.

That would be very helpful and much less offensive to those that may take it that way.

Just a thought that might help a great forum be even better. :wahoo:

If a post or thread gets deleted for whatever reason you can contact a Moderator to first find out why and then to ask for it to be restored for you to retrieve needed info.
Please be aware that we as a Moderator team do not go around indiscriminately deleting things because we have nothing better to do. Our responsibility is to maintain order and discipline in the forum so things don't get out of hand.
Also everyone should be reading the T.O.S. so that they know what to expect if they do something that violates the forum rules. People also tend to think that if they post a thread that it's their personal property and nobody should dare touch it, to the contrary anything that's posted here in Toms forum becomes the property of the forum and therefore is completely under the control of the Moderation team. This is spelled out in the T.O.S.

We prefer to see a new thread started then a thread being bumped because then everyone will do it and the forum will be a mess.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

And certainly my last post wasn't arguing with any of that, for any reason.
I offered no criticism, just a suggestion. What you chose to do with it is your business but, please don't take it as criticism because that it is not.

I didn't take your post as criticism at all, I thought I was answering a question you had about deleted posts, if you don't think I was then read the first sentence again. The rest of the paragraph was explaining the workings of the forum and how things are handled and it wasn't intended to say that you are not aware of the rules.

D

Deleted member 217926

And on a completely unrelated note I don't believe I have ever seen it take 6 mods to answer a question before. March must have been slow for you guys! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.