Nokia 6230 mp3 player

This is very unexpected. The music player of Nokia 6230 expects all mp3
files in Music Files folder.

I bought a 256 mb memory card and filled it music but I can play only one
file at a time directly from the card, and I cannot fit too many songs into
the remaining 6 Mb of phone internal memory.

Is this behaviour by design, or is there a way to use Music Player with the
card?

How can I play all files from a folder on card in one after another, with no
buttons pressed?
21 answers Last reply
More about nokia 6230 player

    Mines fine with a 128mb card.

    Just select music player and it finds them all. Try turning phone off
    then on again if they are files you just uploaded to phone.

    paul

    Do the mp3 files need to be placed in Music files folder with no subfolders
    or something like this?

    "me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Mines fine with a 128mb card.
    >
    > Just select music player and it finds them all. Try turning phone off
    > then on again if they are files you just uploaded to phone.
    >
    > paul

    It seems I can get it work. The only way I could make it work is not using
    any folders on memory card, just place music files directly in the root of
    the card.

    "me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Mines fine with a 128mb card.
    >
    > Just select music player and it finds them all. Try turning phone off
    > then on again if they are files you just uploaded to phone.
    >
    > paul

    > It seems I can get it work. The only way I could make it work is not using
    > any folders on memory card, just place music files directly in the root of
    > the card.

    Have you created separate play lists with The Nokia Audio Manager?

    If you go into 'Track List', then 'Options', then 'Change Track List' - Do
    you get just 'All Tracks' ?

    If so, create a track list, then it should appear in this menu

    Matthew

    "Matthew Long" <mcp.long@NO-SPAMvirgin.net> wrote in message

    >> It seems I can get it work. The only way I could make it work is not
    >> using
    >> any folders on memory card, just place music files directly in the root
    >> of
    >> the card.
    >
    > Have you created separate play lists with The Nokia Audio Manager?
    >
    > If you go into 'Track List', then 'Options', then 'Change Track List' - Do
    > you get just 'All Tracks' ?
    >
    > If so, create a track list, then it should appear in this menu
    >

    > Matthew

    Yes, I've created separated track lists for each folder. However the music
    files which are not in root folder, will never show up in "All Tracks". Is
    is designed to do this?

    Thanks

    "> Yes, I've created separated track lists for each folder. However the
    music
    > files which are not in root folder, will never show up in "All Tracks". Is
    > is designed to do this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Not sure what you mean, but if I select a track list I created, I've just
    got the tracks in that particular track list showing in the music player. If
    I select 'All Tracks' - I get every track from all my track lists showing in
    the music player - And as far as I can see, I'm not using any of the phones
    memory at anytime. I've got nothing stored in the 'Music Files' folder on my
    phone..

    By the way, what mmc card are you using? Any recommendations? Not sure
    whether to go for a 128 or 256 - I've heard the 256 can be slow?

    > "> Yes, I've created separated track lists for each folder. However the
    > music
    >> files which are not in root folder, will never show up in "All Tracks".
    >> Is
    >> is designed to do this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Not sure what you mean, but if I select a track list I created, I've just
    > got the tracks in that particular track list showing in the music player.
    > If
    > I select 'All Tracks' - I get every track from all my track lists showing
    > in
    > the music player - And as far as I can see, I'm not using any of the
    > phones
    > memory at anytime. I've got nothing stored in the 'Music Files' folder on
    > my
    > phone..
    >
    > By the way, what mmc card are you using? Any recommendations? Not sure
    > whether to go for a 128 or 256 - I've heard the 256 can be slow?
    >

    > Matthew

    I am using a Kingmax 256 Mb MMC Card. Do not know what to compare it with
    but it is surely not slower than the 32 Mb original phone one and a SanDisk
    32 Mb one.

    As for the music player...

    on the MMC card I have:

    in the root I've two files: File1 and File2; and two folders: Folder1 and
    Folder2. I also have two track lists: TrackList1 (files in Folder1) and
    TrackList2 (files in Folder2)...

    Now I, can play normally track lists: TrackList1 and TrackList2, but when I
    select All Tracks I can only see the File1 and File2 in track list, not the
    files in Folder1 and Folder2...

    It seems that the search for files is not subfolder recursive. If I place
    all my files in root folder of the card, I can see all files in All Tracks,
    but I wanted to logically separate albums, but in the same time be able to
    play all files.

    Can you confirm this is the same for you and All Tracks does not include
    files in card subfolders?

    Thanks

    > Can you confirm this is the same for you and All Tracks does not
    > include files in card subfolders?
    >
    > Thanks

    The only way the 6230 Music Player can 'see' the files in the sub-folders
    is by creating phone playlists with Nokia Audio Manager on your PC.

    Larger cards make the Music Player start slower: eg.
    32MB = 2seconds
    128MB = 7.5 seconds
    256MB = 15seconds
    512MB = 30seconds... yes really, from personal experience!

    The Music Player will 'start' whenever the phone is switched back on, or it
    detects a change in the playlists.

    HTH

    --
    sA

    > It seems that the search for files is not subfolder recursive. If I place
    > all my files in root folder of the card, I can see all files in All
    Tracks,
    > but I wanted to logically separate albums, but in the same time be able to
    > play all files.
    >
    > Can you confirm this is the same for you and All Tracks does not include
    > files in card subfolders?
    >
    > Thanks

    I haven't got any subfolders on my memory card. just all the tracks
    together. Did you create the play lists via the NAM? I have, and you can't
    'see' any sub folders on the phone. You just access them via selecting the
    play list you want.

    So.... I have two play lists. If I select 'All Tracks' - All the tracks from
    both play lists are displayed on the music player. Is this what you mean?

    Matthew

    > The only way the 6230 Music Player can 'see' the files in the sub-folders
    > is by creating phone playlists with Nokia Audio Manager on your PC.
    >
    > Larger cards make the Music Player start slower: eg.
    > 32MB = 2seconds
    > 128MB = 7.5 seconds
    > 256MB = 15seconds
    > 512MB = 30seconds... yes really, from personal experience!
    >
    > The Music Player will 'start' whenever the phone is switched back on, or
    > it
    > detects a change in the playlists.

    I think I keep explaining but nobody can understand what I am trying to
    say... :(

    Yes, I've created playlists with Nokia Audio Manager but the files on card
    subfolders DO NOT appear in "All tracks" playlist, just in the playlist I've
    created. It seems to me there no way to "see" files in subfolders on card in
    "All tracks" playlist. Can someone confirm? Can someone confirm the software
    version? Maybe mine is older or newer, thus my music player starts very
    quickly but no subfolders files...

    Mine says:
    v 03.15
    17-03-04
    RH-12
    GSM P1.1
    (c) NMP

    > I haven't got any subfolders on my memory card. just all the tracks
    > together. Did you create the play lists via the NAM? I have, and you can't
    > 'see' any sub folders on the phone. You just access them via selecting the
    > play list you want.
    >
    > So.... I have two play lists. If I select 'All Tracks' - All the tracks
    > from
    > both play lists are displayed on the music player. Is this what you mean?
    >

    > Matthew

    Yes, thanks. I've used NAM. However my tracks on MMC are into subfolders not
    in the root folder of MMC, so in "All tracks" I cannot see the ones in
    subfolders only the files in root (topmost folder of MMC). If I place all
    files in root - which I do not want to because I want to place each album in
    its own folder - "All tracks" displays all files.

    I want to organize files on my card like this:

    \ (no files)
    Santana (smooth.mp3, maria.mp3, blackmagicwoman.mp3)
    Vivaldi (forseasons.mp3, concerto.mp3)
    Keith Jarrett (koln.mp3, paris.mp3, vienna.mp3, melody.mp3)

    where Santana, Vivaldi and Keith Jarrett are folders on MMC card.

    and three playlists, one for each folder. Santana.m3u, Vivaldi.m3u, Keith
    Jarrett.m3u.

    Also when I select "All tracks" playlists I would like to see all mp3 above,
    which is not happening.

    Thanks again.

    > Also when I select "All tracks" playlists I would like to see all mp3
    > above, which is not happening.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    If you select 'all tracks' you should see all the tracks, but not
    necessarily in the correct order.

    --
    sA

    > If you select 'all tracks' you should see all the tracks, but not
    > necessarily in the correct order.

    Can you please give me your software version? Just type *#0000# on your
    phone.

    Thanks

    "Romulus Marius Mare" <romulus_DOT_mare_AT_@interscope.ro> wrote in message

    >> I haven't got any subfolders on my memory card. just all the tracks
    >> together. Did you create the play lists via the NAM? I have, and you
    >> can't
    >> 'see' any sub folders on the phone. You just access them via selecting
    >> the
    >> play list you want.
    >>
    >> So.... I have two play lists. If I select 'All Tracks' - All the tracks
    >> from
    >> both play lists are displayed on the music player. Is this what you mean?
    >>

    >> Matthew
    >
    > Yes, thanks. I've used NAM. However my tracks on MMC are into subfolders
    > not in the root folder of MMC, so in "All tracks" I cannot see the ones in
    > subfolders only the files in root (topmost folder of MMC). If I place all
    > files in root - which I do not want to because I want to place each album
    > in its own folder - "All tracks" displays all files.
    >
    > I want to organize files on my card like this:
    >
    > \ (no files)
    > Santana (smooth.mp3, maria.mp3, blackmagicwoman.mp3)
    > Vivaldi (forseasons.mp3, concerto.mp3)
    > Keith Jarrett (koln.mp3, paris.mp3, vienna.mp3, melody.mp3)
    >
    > where Santana, Vivaldi and Keith Jarrett are folders on MMC card.
    >
    > and three playlists, one for each folder. Santana.m3u, Vivaldi.m3u, Keith
    > Jarrett.m3u.
    >
    > Also when I select "All tracks" playlists I would like to see all mp3
    > above, which is not happening.

    NAM is pretty restrictive on playlists, but if you really want to make
    playlists easily in subfolders, etc, and at the risk of a self-plug, take a
    look at the new MobiMB (my site below). You can put playlists anywhere, and
    drag & drop music files into a playlist from anywhere on the phone or MMC.

    Let me know what you think of the new playlist support. The 6230 seems to
    act a bit bizarrely in this respect, but hopefully the new MobiMB will make
    some sense of it all!

    --
    Get your phone connected with LogoManager
    http://www.logomanager.co.uk

    > Can you please give me your software version? Just type *#0000# on your
    > phone.
    >
    > Thanks

    <patronise mode=OFF>

    Thanks for the tip.

    It's v3.14 [the first version].

    --
    sA

    > <patronise mode=OFF>
    >
    > Thanks for the tip.
    >
    > It's v3.14 [the first version].

    :D Sorry... :)

    Hmmm. Mine is 3.15. Should this be the problem? They restricted the search
    into the subfolders to quicken the start of the Music Player?

    > Hmmm. Mine is 3.15. Should this be the problem? They restricted the
    > search into the subfolders to quicken the start of the Music Player?

    Maybe you're right: the phone only scans the sub-directories when a
    playlist is invoked [v3.15], rather than when the Music Player is first
    started [v3.14]. Seems a better idea, although this could be pure
    speculation and coincidence, given that these are early firmware versions.

    --
    sA

    > NAM is pretty restrictive on playlists, but if you really want to make
    > playlists easily in subfolders, etc, and at the risk of a self-plug, take
    > a look at the new MobiMB (my site below). You can put playlists anywhere,
    > and drag & drop music files into a playlist from anywhere on the phone or
    > MMC.
    >
    > Let me know what you think of the new playlist support. The 6230 seems to
    > act a bit bizarrely in this respect, but hopefully the new MobiMB will
    > make some sense of it all!

    My problem was not with editing of playlists, but about how the phone
    firmware is interpreting and working with them. MobiMB has nothing to do
    with it, and if you would have took a bit of time to read, you would have
    noticed it.

    MobiMB is a great piece of software, but please pay attention to the
    thread's subject before posting.

    > My problem was not with editing of playlists, but about how the phone
    > firmware is interpreting and working with them. MobiMB has nothing to
    > do with it, and if you would have took a bit of time to read, you
    > would have noticed it.
    >
    > MobiMB is a great piece of software, but please pay attention to the
    > thread's subject before posting.

    May I add the sound of a slapped wrist?

    <SLAPPED WRIST>

    Thank you.

    I suggest that you contact the OEM to let them know of your disapproval
    regarding the half-arsed playlist functions of this phone, rather than
    vent your frustrations to Mr Bradley. He was trying to help.

    --
    sA

    "Romulus Marius Mare" <romulus_DOT_mare_AT_@interscope.ro> wrote in message

    > > NAM is pretty restrictive on playlists, but if you really want to make
    > > playlists easily in subfolders, etc, and at the risk of a self-plug,
    take
    > > a look at the new MobiMB (my site below). You can put playlists
    anywhere,
    > > and drag & drop music files into a playlist from anywhere on the phone
    or
    > > MMC.
    > >
    > > Let me know what you think of the new playlist support. The 6230 seems
    > > act a bit bizarrely in this respect, but hopefully the new MobiMB will
    > > make some sense of it all!
    >
    > My problem was not with editing of playlists, but about how the phone
    > firmware is interpreting and working with them. MobiMB has nothing to do
    > with it, and if you would have took a bit of time to read, you would have
    > noticed it.
    >
    > MobiMB is a great piece of software, but please pay attention to the
    > thread's subject before posting.

    Mr Bradley (the author of MobiMB) tries to help you and all you do is
    complain.
    Please don't complain when, next time you ask a question, no one answers
    you.
    As far as I'm concerned (as a software author myself) you don't deserve any
    help.

    John..

    > Mr Bradley (the author of MobiMB) tries to help you and all you do is
    > complain.
    > Please don't complain when, next time you ask a question, no one answers
    > you.
    > As far as I'm concerned (as a software author myself) you don't deserve
    > any
    > help.

    Thanks. I am a software author myself. Does this means I answer questions
    about other subjects explaining that my software can solve other problems? I
    was higly appreciating Mr. Bradley's support, and I love his products, but
    my problem was not with playlist editing. Is this hard to grasp?

Nokia Music MP3