SLI 560 ti's getting hot

I'm always using Tom's Hardware when searching for answers but this time I have a question of my own. My computer is relatively new (just under a year) and I noticed the other day the back fan isn't spinning, I believe its the one known as push-pull because its 2 fans attached to each other. I don't know if it ever worked as this was my first time moving the PC from my house to a friends and thus my first time actually looking at the back and noticing that it doesn't spin. I also have 2 video cards but I never utilize SLI for fear of overheating, this could be because that fan never sucks the air out, or because I need an additional fan pointed directly in between them. When I do enable SLI my top card can get to 95c+ and the other is in the high 80s. My question is how would I go about repairing / replacing the one that doesn't work when it is attached to cooling tubes, and where would I plug an extra fan in if I bought one like the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO which I heard was good. I don't really have any experience in this area so I think taking the entire machine apart is kinda out of the question for me. Thanks in advance for the help, I appreciate it. :)
13 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. "Back fan"?

Back of the case? Back of the CPU cooler? Back of one of your video cards?

Please explain which fan you are talking about. A pic would be great.
  2. Yea definitely. It's really hard to even make sense of your post. Just post some pix if you can, might make things a lot easier.
  3. I believe it's supposed to be pulling air out the back like an exhaust but it just doesn't spin :|
  4. That fan is part of your radiators setup check its connected properly, if it is and still doesn't work just buy a new 120mm fan and replace it.
  5. Is the fan plugged in ?

If not, contact your CPU cooler manufacturer or system builder for troubleshooting / replacement.
  6. The fan, or the splitter, if there is one. Maybe try pugging the suspect fan into a header by itself.
  7. Thanks for the feedback guys. Before I posted this last night I opened it and spent a can of duster cleaning out the fans and sucking it up with a small vacuum. The backside of the broken one looks like mini radiator but it was 100% covered in dust. Still doesn't work after cleaning though.

Before calling for a replacement I'd like to try plugging it into a different spot but I'm not sure where. What is a header?
  8. Header refers to the motherboard connector for the fan, should either be 4 or 3 pins.

Should look like this:
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/RDCXBG/360%20SUX/FanHeader028.jpg
  9. What if my motherboard doesn't have an extra one? Are these things easy to replace?
  10. If you are replacing a fan then you should have a vacant header from the motherboard, if you don't have any headers you can always try the 3 pin to molex adapters. It will connect the fan directly to the power supply but don't expect to change the fan speed or monitor its rpm.

Here is a visual:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201009
  11. Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate the help. I'm going to give these things a try when I get some free time. That adapter looks useful, the power supply can handle a fan plugged directly into it?
  12. Yep the power supply will handle any computer fan you throw at it (not literally :lol:) given you have the molex connectors.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Tom's Hardware SLI Components