Drops in FPS in game. Overclock? GPU? Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philuk

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hey guys.

First off, this is my rig.

15 2500K Overclocked to 4.5GHz.
EVGA P67 Micro SLI
GTX 470 SLI
8GB DDR3
22 inch monitor
950W Corsair PSU

The issue I'm getting this in is Battlefield 3. I'm just going to talk you through the issue, what happened and what I've done since.

About a week ago I could play the game on high at a constant 60 FPS. I got a SSD, formatted windows 7, reinstalled it and installed Windows 8.

A few days later my PC started to drop FPS in game from 60 to 55, 50, back up to 60. This only happens after 10 minutes playing. I thought it might be a memory leak from Windows 8, but it wasn't. If I restarted my PC the issue would go away. It basically jumps around a bit. It's not really bad but it's a problem I didn't have a week ago. Plus this machine can play the game on high settings fine.

I checked my temperatures. One of my GPUs was running at 95 degrees, going up to 105 degrees celcius at one point. I took the cards out, cleaned them and swapped the one with the better fan to the one that was running hot. Now they run at 77 and 65. No problems there.

I then wondered if it might be Windows so I formatted and reverted back to Windows 7 but the problem is still there. Play for a little while, the FPS drops, back up, then down.

I then decided to look at my overclock. When I overclocked it, with this mobo, I only really need to change the BaseClock, take off Virtual tech and EIST and it does the rest. So I decided to try and set the voltage myself. It didn't change. I also set it back to 3.3GHz and it kinda ran similar.

Looking on CPUZ the overclock would sometimes revert to 4.3GHz instead of 4.5, but it didn't seem to make a difference, it just did the same thing and 4.3GHz is enough processor power to play this. The game is known to be processor heavy but I don't think it needs 4.3GHz. When I had my previous processor, I5 760 @ 4GHz - if it was too low the game would become choppy. Which is why I overclocked in the first place.

I'm asking for help in what to do next, I've updated GPU drivers, rolled back, used beta drivers, messed around with fans, cleaned everything out, formatted, and attempted to mess around with the overclock. I'm no expert and I do rely on the internet for settings and advice for my overclock but I have a friend who is very competent with overclocking but isn't sure what else it could be.

Maybe a memory leak, maybe the SLI bridge?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.