Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radeon 7850HD Crashing Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2012 4:54:24 AM

So I recently got all the parts for a new system build, but having a problem with the display driver crashing and recovering. This is happening every once in awhile mostly while browsing the internet. But since I've installed Tera, it's been crashing there as well. I've done two clean installs and also updated the drivers to the lastest 12.4 several times while using driver sweeper as well. CPU and GPU speeds are both in the 30C range while not under load and the GPU is running around 48C under load. I've also tried removing and making sure everything was seated properly. Can't seem to nail down the problem. When it's crashing it's basically a freeze for a few seconds then very short black screen and then everything working normal again. Everything is on stock settings and nothing has been OC as of yet.

CPU: i5-2500K
GPU: Sapphire 7850HD
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
MEM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
PSU: Seasonic 620W
May 6, 2012 2:14:58 PM

Left memtest86 running last night and got 0 errors. Any ideas?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 3:43:55 PM

All I can say is this is at least the 5th thread I've read about issues with Sapphire 7850's. I'd return it and buy another brand, they seem to have lots of issues.

Have you tried using the sapphire driver that came with the card?
Related resources
May 6, 2012 3:55:36 PM

geekapproved said:
All I can say is this is at least the 5th thread I've read about issues with Sapphire 7850's. I'd return it and buy another brand, they seem to have lots of issues.

hey i dont mean to bother this thread but would it be better not to get a 7850 cause amd shitty drivers
m
l
May 6, 2012 4:19:42 PM

geekapproved said:

Yes, I am running the latest drivers. Sapphire and ATI both have the same drivers CCC 12.4. I do remember awhile back someone recommending using the ASUS drivers instead of the Sapphire, but not sure how to go about doing that. I'm actually setting up a fresh install right now and doing nothing but updating all the drivers. Going to see if I get any crashes. I noticed the ASRock disc installs Lucid Virtu which messes with the graphics card. Going to try and remove software from the list of possible problems.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2012 2:03:51 PM

andY biersack said:
hey i dont mean to bother this thread but would it be better not to get a 7850 cause amd shitty drivers

Would it not be better to refrain from posting cause of your extreme noobi-ness?
m
l
May 7, 2012 4:18:20 PM

I have went ahead and sent the card back to Amazon for a refund. I tried pretty much everything to get it working including several fresh installs. Before I boxed it back up I tried a different slot and a fresh install. No software installed except updated drivers and monitoring software. I was still getting crashes so figured it was time to just replace the card. All other hardware tested good. I'll see what happens once I get a new card. Really wish I would have went ahead and got the ASUS instead which is probably what I am going to pick up. Heard MSI was coming out with a new version?
m
l
May 7, 2012 11:27:38 PM

Decided to not wait for the new MSI card that is suppose to release soon. Got NCIX to match the ASUS 7850 for what everyone else is selling it for and used overnight shipping. It's already shipped, so I should be able to know for sure if it was the card tomorrow. Pretty much made my mind up after reading a thread on OCing the 7850 and how the ASUS consistently outperforms the others when it comes to OCing. Will report back after I get a chance to test it out.
m
l
May 8, 2012 1:49:47 AM

Let me know how it goes, I am looking to buy a 7850 and have been contemplating on brand, leaning Gigabyte or ASUS (not Sapphire anymore after this). But I did read about ASUS not putting the heatsinks on well, but it might not have been on the 7850, maybe 7970.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:36:43 PM

It's official. The new ASUS card is running great without any problems. So I'm guessing the Sapphire was just defective. I haven't really came across any bad reviews on it, but most people recommend the OC version over the normal. I read several threads on different forums and they all raved about the ASUS and it consistently overclocks way better than any other brand, though MSI is on par with them.

Azok, I debated the Gigabyte brand as well. However, there seems to be a ton of negative reviews on the stock fans. A lot of people are also complaining about the noise and rattling the fans make. I seen a couple reviews where one of the fans locked up and caused damage and they wouldn't RMA it because they said it was the customer's fault.

I did quite a bit of research on all the brands and finally settled on the ASUS after the Sapphire card was giving me problems. I can honestly say the only two brands I would recommend is the ASUS or MSI. MSI is releasing a new version that looks promising, but I didn't feel like waiting since it may be another month before they hit the shelves. I wanted a 7850 specifically because of it's overclocking potential. And from everything I've read with proof to back it up, the ASUS consistently outperforms every other brand. Sapphire would be next, but after having the problems I had with it, I will probably pass on that brand for awhile. You can't go wrong with the ASUS and the only negative reviews are people complaining about ASUS using the 7870 cooler on it instead of designing one specifically for the 7850. I honestly like the way it looks over the Sapphire if that matters and have no problems with room in my Corsair 300R. The card runs very cool and I haven't had any problems at all with it.

I also found out the reason a lot of people are starting to hate on the XFX brand other than their customer service is because of the cooler on the card. It tends to get a lot hotter than other brands. As far as being recommended for overclocking potential it got put towards the bottom of the pile. I would still give Sapphire another chance, but as long as the ASUS or MSI is available those would be my first choices.
m
l
May 9, 2012 10:38:35 PM

Best answer selected by XzyluM.
m
l
!