Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does 1920 x 1080 look bad on a 23" to 24" monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 6, 2012 5:33:11 AM

Hello everyone,

I could not find a sub forum dedicated to monitors in the graphics and displays section, so I posted here.

I am just getting back into PC gaming. I currently game on a 15.5" Sager laptop at 1920 x 1080. My question is, were I to build a desktop and select a 23" or 24" monitor at 1920 x 1080, would it look worse? I would do primarily gaming on it.

Pardon my ignorance, I am new to this and have not worked with PC's in a while. Is there a happy medium between 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440? For my first build, I do not think I can afford a 27" monitor at 2560 x 1440 and still have the cash to afford the GPUs to support it. I need high frame rate in my gaming, but I would still like to get a pretty resolution.

Thank you

More about : 1920 1080 bad monitor

a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2012 5:38:37 AM

1920x1200 is great on my 28 inch in my opinion. After that though (unless its a TV and far away from your eyes) it starts to get to the point where you need to go to the 2560x1600~ resolutions.

So yes, it will look fine at 24 inches.
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 5:50:40 AM

Thanks. I plan on getting a 680, so I am wondering if 1080 would be wasting the potential of the graphics card. The reality is though, that I cant spend more then $2,300 to $2,500 on a system and thus cannot affor a thousand dollar monitor.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 6, 2012 5:51:30 AM

nstiver said:
Hello everyone,

I could not find a sub forum dedicated to monitors in the graphics and displays section, so I posted here.

I am just getting back into PC gaming. I currently game on a 15.5" Sager laptop at 1920 x 1080. My question is, were I to build a desktop and select a 23" or 24" monitor at 1920 x 1080, would it look worse? I would do primarily gaming on it.

Pardon my ignorance, I am new to this and have not worked with PC's in a while. Is there a happy medium between 1920 x 1080 and 2560 x 1440? For my first build, I do not think I can afford a 27" monitor at 2560 x 1440 and still have the cash to afford the GPUs to support it. I need high frame rate in my gaming, but I would still like to get a pretty resolution.

Thank you

I have a dual monitor setup. One 21.5" at 1080p and one 23" at 1080p. Honestly, I think the picture looks better on the 23".
m
0
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2012 5:55:29 AM

nstiver said:
Thanks. I plan on getting a 680, so I am wondering if 1080 would be wasting the potential of the graphics card. The reality is though, that I cant spend more then $2,300 to $2,500 on a system and thus cannot affor a thousand dollar monitor.


You can get 3 1080p monitors for 450-500 all together.
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 5:58:36 AM

Helltech said:
You can get 3 1080p monitors for 450-500 all together.

+1.
A triple monitor setup would be killer, especially when you have that kind of money to spend on your system.
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 6:32:55 AM

I had a 27" HP 1080p monitor that I got for $300. Then I got an Apple LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor and it makes a big difference!!!

The extra pixels is really nice. Don't forget though that more pixels means you need a higher end graphics card.

In the end the nicest feature was going from the crappy TN panel which had bad colors and lacked sharpness to an industry best IPS panel which has really good color and text sharpness.

Moral of the story. With monitors you get what you pay for!
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 7:42:56 AM

bee144 said:
I had a 27" HP 1080p monitor that I got for $300. Then I got an Apple LED 27" 2560x1440 monitor and it makes a big difference!!!

The extra pixels is really nice. Don't forget though that more pixels means you need a higher end graphics card.

In the end the nicest feature was going from the crappy TN panel which had bad colors and lacked sharpness to an industry best IPS panel which has really good color and text sharpness.

Moral of the story. With monitors you get what you pay for!


I can see why a 27" monitor at 1080p looked bad. I have a 27" imac at that resolution as well.

To tell you the truth, I am almost leaning toward 20 to 22 inchers so I don't lose resolution, but MAYBE use a 3 monitor set up. A certian degree of explaining will have to be done to my wife as to why I need three monitors instead of one--she doesn't know much about computers and three will look like more to her, and thus seem excessive. "Why on earth do you need three monitors, honey?"
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 9:21:27 AM

actually your right 1080p looks bad on 23" or 24" I mean BAD ASS it's great, but for 1080p I would suggest 23" then for something bigger starts with 27" or so
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2012 9:29:53 AM

I have a 23" monitor (Dell U2311H) and I love it. It is 1920x1080 and looks awesome. I game (560 Ti), surf, and watch movies. If 27" isn't much more expensive, then I'd say get it; but don't' sit too close to it. (Wait...didn't my mom used to say that?)

If you're gaming with a 680, then you better go higher than a 1080p. Isn't that part of the point why people buy 680s? Other than Ultra graphics and such.
m
0
l
May 6, 2012 9:41:07 AM

@envy
no not everyone, well although I got 3 monitor setup I normally play on 1 monitor using tri fire 7970, since I love big numbers (FPS wise) but I do play on triple monitor but not as much as single since I do love browsing other stuff while playing.


even going 3 monitor and getting dual gpu is not a need. it's a want.

and if it's like this

do you want it or not?
can you afford it or not?

just those 2 but since if you do consider tri monitor setup it means it falls into the category of also wanting it. then next check whether your wallet is fat enough to buy the items needed.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
May 6, 2012 11:52:04 AM

@Tavo_Nova

You play on 3 monitors?!!?!! My mind can't even wrap around that one. My girlfriend would kill me if I even mentioned that idea. She already has called my new rig..my second girlfriend.

Looking at your rig is insane. Mine is fast and fantastic. My roommate couldn't believe how real the games I play are. I am in envy of big rigs, but I know where my time would go if I did have one.
m
0
l
May 7, 2012 12:01:58 AM

nstiver said:
I can see why a 27" monitor at 1080p looked bad. I have a 27" imac at that resolution as well.

To tell you the truth, I am almost leaning toward 20 to 22 inchers so I don't lose resolution, but MAYBE use a 3 monitor set up. A certian degree of explaining will have to be done to my wife as to why I need three monitors instead of one--she doesn't know much about computers and three will look like more to her, and thus seem excessive. "Why on earth do you need three monitors, honey?"


You realize the 27" iMac can act as an external display right???
m
0
l
!