Disconnection upon submitting quest

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have 3 computers running WOW via a router, and 75% of the time after
completing a quest my router locks up and I'm forced to reboot the
router to get internet connectivity back.

The % varies a little bit one computer to another, but not much.
Blizzards tech site offers some vague suggestions, which I've tried to
fathom .... but no go.

Anybody have any 'war stories' that may help an old man with 3
teenagers who are interferring with my internet connectivity?

In article <00bt711ir7n2fqh8hbvdn9aqohu095crc9@4ax.com>,
bob <cmolitor@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> I have 3 computers running WOW via a router, and 75% of the time after
> completing a quest my router locks up and I'm forced to reboot the
> router to get internet connectivity back.
>
> The % varies a little bit one computer to another, but not much.
> Blizzards tech site offers some vague suggestions, which I've tried to
> fathom .... but no go.
>
> Anybody have any 'war stories' that may help an old man with 3
> teenagers who are interferring with my internet connectivity?

* Tell teen #1 to get a haircut and get a job.

* Tell teen #2 to do his homework.

* Tell teen #3 to clean up that pig-sty he calls a "room".

* Enjoy the internet. Let us know if you discover any interesting porn
sites, you old geezer, you! ;)

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):

On Sun, 08 May 2005 20:42:57 -0400, bob <cmolitor@wideopenwest.com>
wrote:

>I have 3 computers running WOW via a router, and 75% of the time after
>completing a quest my router locks up and I'm forced to reboot the
>router to get internet connectivity back.
>
>The % varies a little bit one computer to another, but not much.
>Blizzards tech site offers some vague suggestions, which I've tried to
>fathom .... but no go.
>
>Anybody have any 'war stories' that may help an old man with 3
>teenagers who are interferring with my internet connectivity?

How Bizarre!!

Out of interest, I presume the 3 computers running WoW is significant?
i.e. if only 1 is running WoW then there is no problem?

And what brand is the router? I presume it has latest firmware? no
"fancy" port configs etc?

I am pretty sure guy at work has similar scenario as you, 3 boys, at
least 2 playing WoW at one time and he has no problems.

Bit more info?

Cheers

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Good questions ...that's what I love about the newsgroups .... proof
of intelligent life ;-)

Nothing special about 3 computers ..... the router locks up regardless
of the number of users. After a bit more probing the boys, it happens
more frequently early on in their playing time ..... if they log off
for too long it starts all over agian.

Using a Belkin 4 port wired router with the latest (original)
firmware, nothing special in the setup or configuration.

Blizzard states the problem occurs due to delays in data transmission
('NPC communication is less tolerant of slight delays in data
delivery')

My internal network is only running @ 10MBit/s, and I'd be willing to
bet that some of the problem may be related to that, but then, I'm not
a bettin' man and I've been wrong before.

On Mon, 09 May 2005 09:32:08 GMT, Justin Thompson
<JustinThompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 May 2005 20:42:57 -0400, bob <cmolitor@wideopenwest.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I have 3 computers running WOW via a router, and 75% of the time after
>>completing a quest my router locks up and I'm forced to reboot the
>>router to get internet connectivity back.
>>
>>The % varies a little bit one computer to another, but not much.
>>Blizzards tech site offers some vague suggestions, which I've tried to
>>fathom .... but no go.
>>
>>Anybody have any 'war stories' that may help an old man with 3
>>teenagers who are interferring with my internet connectivity?
>
>How Bizarre!!
>
>Out of interest, I presume the 3 computers running WoW is significant?
>i.e. if only 1 is running WoW then there is no problem?
>
>And what brand is the router? I presume it has latest firmware? no
>"fancy" port configs etc?
>
>I am pretty sure guy at work has similar scenario as you, 3 boys, at
>least 2 playing WoW at one time and he has no problems.
>
>Bit more info?
>
>Cheers

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 9 May 2005 18:25:28 -0500, "Strontium" <abuse@your.isp.com>
wrote:
>Does this mean that you have your network cards set to half-duplex? If so,
>you might try changing them to auto-sense. This was another thing that
>bothered me when I found the viruses on my boxes. I had, per suggestion
>from Blizzard, changed my settings to half-duplex to fix a random disconnect
>issue (from the game servers, not router locking up). And, to be honest,
>not sure if this or the viruses was causing the router lock ups as I changed
>the card settings back and found the critters on my boxes at about the same
>time.
>
>After I had posted my initial reply, I was thinking that maybe the sheer
>number of 3 WoW clients running simultaneously might be causing the lock
>ups. After your reply, to Justin's post, it seems that's not the case.
>

><snip>

I tried the auto-sense setting but then I have major problems
connecting to the internet ....hence the 1/2 duplex setting. No doubt
due to some long (improperly run) runs ....... I'm thinking as an
experiment I'll run a new shielded line to the 'game' room and let
them all run off a hub there.

As a side note last year I had a worm that locked my router regularly
..... once I removed it my problem went away. I was geting some odd
line items in my routers security log which I was finally able to
trace back to the slimy worm ;-)

Thanks for the discussion.

In article <halv71l3qm3sp5vq8bvpcr6rahkbd8u659@4ax.com>,
bob <cmolitor@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> that's what I love about the newsgroups .... proof
> of intelligent life ;-)

What newsgroups do *YOU* read?! ;)

--
Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
Also (rarely):
Chum, Gnome warlock, Bronzebeard
Tost, Dwarven rogue, Bronzebeard
Meadow, Night elf priest, Bronzebeard
Harmany, Undead mage, Dethecus
<http://www.ManyFriends.com/WoW/PhotoAlbum/>
Aka "Misc" -- If you don't remove your pants, I won't get your email.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Is it definetly the router crashing?

My friend had exactly the same thing, crash upon handing in quests, and
it turned out to be and IRQ conflict between his network card and
soundcard so he was losing connectivity but it wasn't anything to do
with his router.

>From memory I think you have to make sure your NIC, Soundcard & Video
card are all on seperate IRQ's

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 10 May 2005 08:01:17 -0700, "Chris" <chris@cdp181.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Is it definetly the router crashing?
>
>My friend had exactly the same thing, crash upon handing in quests, and
>it turned out to be and IRQ conflict between his network card and
>soundcard so he was losing connectivity but it wasn't anything to do
>with his router.
>
>>From memory I think you have to make sure your NIC, Soundcard & Video
>card are all on seperate IRQ's

Yep, I'm sure it's the router ....... I can tell when one of them
locks up cause I loose my connection and I can't even ping the router
....... I get the 'destination unreachable' error.