Sign in with
Your question

Cheap GPU for Linux

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2012 5:52:36 AM

Hi there,

I'm building a new computer and need some input on the gpu.

I live in New Zealand and am willing to spend about 220 NZD. I usually by from these sites:
www.elive.co.nz
www.computerlounge.co.nz
www.playtech.co.nz

But I'm happy buying from where ever really.

I use linux 90% of the time, usually debian. I do not game, but I do need to a gpu to support two monitors. The reason I'm asking for help because last time I bought I card was when ATI graphics were horrible under linux.

The 7770 looks like a great card and the GTX550ti is apparently crap so I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Any help would be great thanks.

More about : cheap gpu linux

May 6, 2012 6:27:03 AM

I've used several different linux distros with an HD5770, dual monitor setup... the KDE desktop seemed to work best and easiest. But with the Catalyst proprietary driver there was always some screen tearing when playing videos. Other than the tearing it worked well.

Now I'm using an HD6870, but only one 23 inch monitor. The Catalyst driver is worse than it was on the 5770. The good news is that the open source driver works very nicely now. No screen tearing. But sometimes the open gl screensavers will run with a jerking motion.
a c 86 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 6:49:21 AM

I think that Linux prefers Nvidia cards (or so I've heard) because the AMD cards and the older ATi cards lack proper Linux drivers. Does this open source driver solve the problem or at least help to close the gap?
Related resources
May 6, 2012 7:14:29 AM

spankmon said:
I've used several different linux distros with an HD5770, dual monitor setup... the KDE desktop seemed to work best and easiest. But with the Catalyst proprietary driver there was always some screen tearing when playing videos. Other than the tearing it worked well.

Now I'm using an HD6870, but only one 23 inch monitor. The Catalyst driver is worse than it was on the 5770. The good news is that the open source driver works very nicely now. No screen tearing. But sometimes the open gl screensavers will run with a jerking motion.

Yeah the 5770 is a great card, that's what made me think about ATI but I'm still very concerned about their drivers.
May 6, 2012 4:03:07 PM

The open source drivers have improved dramatically. I prefer them to Catalyst now. However, if you need more intense 3d support, Catalyst is the only option. With open source drivers I can now play Diablo2 without any problems, HD video works well, and the 3d desktops work well. If Catalyst ever fixes the "Tear-Free Desktop" it will be great. At this time "Tear-Free" stops the tearing but causes jerky playback and delayed keyboard input. I've read lots of threads from NVIDIA users who have the same problem.
May 7, 2012 10:25:19 AM

Great thanks. Looks like ATI is a far more viable option than it was a few years ago.
!