IBuyPower/CyberPower Build Advice

memony

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hello.

I am purchasing a computer for my daughter. I'd prefer a CyberPower or iBuyPower built machine because we are both inexperienced at building computers and would like the return and repair options.

I've read the recent posts on this forum and have put together two possible builds. I'm leaning toward purchasing from iBuyPower because I've heard better things about their customer service.

The builds are:

iBuyPower: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/4Independence_i5_Special/w/124616

CyberPower: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E9P37

I think they're both quite similar, with the major differences being: case, cooling, PSU.

Each leaves me about $200, after separately purchasing a black caviar hd, wiggle room for upgrades if you have suggestions.

She will be using this computer for her work and entertainment. Will it be sufficient for PC gaming (while recording), graphic design work, two displays.

I don't know if the i7 or i5 would be better. I'm also not sure if the memory is sufficient or if the graphics card I have selected will work well or if there are better alternatives.

Thank you for your help with this decision.

Solution

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I've never purchased anything from iBuyPower or CyberPower, but just do some research. If you've heard good things from iBuyPower, then I don't see why not to buy from them.

The Thermaltake Frio will cool better than the H60, but it might be a bit louder when the fans are running at a higher RPM.

Good choices on the Corsair PSU! You can never go wrong with them. For the case, ask your daughter which design she likes better. Both are great cases, but I personally like the C70 more. Just ask her because she will be the one looking at it, right? Haha

If you can afford the extra $100, then I'd get the i7. I do graphic design and 3D modeling/rendering, and I personally use an i7. It just depends how intense the work she's doing is. If she's just using programs like Photoshop, then an i5 would be plenty.

I also have a 670 and it will be more than sufficient for gaming and recording. It can definitely handle two displays too :)

8GB is fine for now, but I'd look into upgrading to 16GB. The extra RAM really helps (not so much for gaming though).

Good call on the SSD for the boot drive. And yes adding a Caviar Black HDD will be perfect for storage.

I think that's it. Let me know if I left anything out. Pretty awesome build! Your daughter is one lucky girl :)

- Jake

memony

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Thank you for the reply, Jake.

Do you think the H60 will be able to handle the heat? She has mentioned the possibility of overclocking so I'm not sure what the additional heat would look like.

She gave me a list of 'acceptable' cases, so I picked the options that were available. I like the c70 as well.

My main concern is getting her a good solid foundation that she can build on if needed. I'll look in to the i7 a bit more, I read quite a few reviews that said the upgrade might not be worth the money for the range of work she'll be doing, so if there is a better investment I might opt for that.

As far as the memory goes, is the Corsair Vengeance a good choice or would the G.Skill Ripjaws X or Kingston Hyper X be better? Most reviews I've read say that the vengeance is pretty solid.

I was reading a bit more about the motherboard and have a question about the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO. The discussions I've read mention it has very strong built in wireless. This means I can strike a wireless adapter off of my list, right? Trying to decide between this board and the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77, which I don't think has onboard wireless.

I have another day or so of deciding, but I'm still leaning toward the iBuyPower build. Just concerned about the cooling at this point.

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Well the H60 is a still a pretty good cooler; it performs like a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ which costs is the best budget air cooler. You'll definitely be able to overclock a bit, but be aware that the new Ivy Bridge chips get pretty hot.

A bonus of the C70 is that it has a window. And if you get the H60, it will look much neater inside the case. I don't know if that matters to you or your daughter thought.

Yes the Vengeance is very good memory. I use G. Skill because it was on sale when I got it. Otherwise, I probably would have gotten the Corsair RAM.

Yup the P8Z77-V Pro comes with a Wi-Fi antenna, so you can cross that off your list. And yes the Sabertooth doesn't come with the built-in wireless. The Sabertooth misses a lot of features and is overpriced in my opinion. The only real unique feature is its thermal armor.

Don't be too concerned about the H60. Sure you won't be able to do any insane overclocks, but it still is a good cooler. You could add another fan to the H60's radiator for a push-pull configuration for better performance. So basically I wouldn't sweat it. Just know that it isn't as good as the higher end air coolers, but that shouldn't be too much a concern.

- Jake

Solution

memony

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Thank you for all of your help. My daughter decided that she'd rather build the computer with me than buy it prebuilt. I suppose we'll be using most of the components listed here... now just to brush up on computer building. I'm sure I'll have many more questions posted to different forums in the coming weeks.