Status
Not open for further replies.

bbs99

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
i need to know which is more important in a gpu 1Shader clock 2 memory clock 3 core clock
only for gaming use
thanks in advance :)

It's worthless to try to compare GPUs by specs, especially between brands (AMD vs Nvidia) but even within one brand. Different cards use different chips with different architectures, so they can have very different levels of performance with specs that look very similar. Instead of going by specs, go by benchmarks. This is a good resource for basic comparison: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Instead of searching for benchmarks yourself, you can just ask me if you like. What's your situation?

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
If it's 'only for gaming use' then as kajabla said, forget - entirely - what you ask, and concentrate solely only on budget versus benchmarks. I would then recommend checking out the tom's link kajabla gave, and cross-reference this with the 6 pages in tom's latest 'best gfx cards for the money' roundup: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

If you do this, you will be happy!! :)

imonlymyself

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
what "kajabla" said. For us to better help you with your question we need to know what your going to be running or playing.

example: Blizzard based games work better with Nvidia chipsets

G

not to discredit kajabla's advice and kind offer to provide assistance; i think what the OP is asking will help him/her understand the benchmarks and given advice better and to be able to make informed decisions when benchmarks and advise isn't available.

imonlymyself

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

what looney bin u crawl out of. if you answer his question on his merits the 6870 has higher values across the board than the 560 YET they perform very close to the same. and depending on game played or application he will be using is a far better way to determine which card he goes with. just using the 6870/560 as examples here

G

whatever looney bin i crawled out of is one you need to visit. your example is a very poor on indeed since the 6870 and 560 are very similar in rendering, clock speed, memory bandwidth and texture fill rate:
http://www.hwcompare.com/11005/geforce-gtx-560-vs-radeon-hd-6870/
or it is no surprise they would perform similarly.

the OP is asking an objective question:"what makes a good GPU" not "what is a good GPU for game (x) or application (x)."

so if you cannot do more than jump on someone's bandwagon by agreeing or criticizing an answer you have no idea about; you need to sit back, STFU and learn something.

G

yes the shader, core and memory clocks can be overclocked on a nVidia card with precision.
xlarge_3da463c2aed0af586cf3cadf0c46dc9f.png

see you just learned something :)

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
BBS99, so, to sum up for your good self:

Unless you are looking for a non-real-world explanation of shader/clock/etc benifits........

DO CHECK OUT MY, kajabla's and imonlymyself's 1st replies. By basing your purchase decision upon this alone, YOU WILL NOT GO WRONG.

End of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.