Sign in with
Your question

Sound Card Static

Last response: in Components
November 6, 2012 1:12:17 PM

Hey guys, around almost a year ago, I bought Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty from an online store. It worked perfectly until after 2 months, then it became slightly static. I was stupid and couldn't be bothered to return them due to the hassles of shipping and waiting, so now the warranty is over.

Basically my problem is, is that when I'm in game my two front speakers begin to whine at a medium pitch level. I can lower or heighten the sound of the whine by adjusting The speaker volume but the operating system volume does nothing to effect the static noise. It's not the speakers as I've tried out other headsets and speakers, and I've ended up with the exact same results. The noise is rather bothersome.

Another thing, when I'm not playing a game I still get this far quieter staict noise, which changes pitch as I move my mouse. I've done some research and apparently this has something to do with my power outlet, and the only fix is to not have the grounding portion of the plug, or tape over it which sounds rather dangerous or risky as a surge could destroy my computer.

What do you guys recommend I do, and what is your view on this?

I greatly appreciate any feed back and I look forward to reading your responses.

Cheers :) 

More about : sound card static

November 6, 2012 2:11:49 PM

EMI. Happens with poorly shielded speakers from time to time. Move the speakers elsewhere, and the whining will likely go away. Its a speaker problem, not a soundcard problem.
November 8, 2012 2:35:44 AM

gamerk316 said:
EMI. Happens with poorly shielded speakers from time to time. Move the speakers elsewhere, and the whining will likely go away. Its a speaker problem, not a soundcard problem.

Hi gamerk316, thanks for your quick response. I'll try moving them again but I've actually set up my sound card in 2 separate computers and in three separate houses, all with the same result. Also I've tried different headphones with the same result. But if it's definitely some issue with electricity, could it perhaps be loose wiring inside my computers or power supply? But if it is, isn't it strange that it occurs in two separate computers?

Or perhaps it could be too close to another card that uses a PCI slot? Like my graphics card?
Related resources
November 8, 2012 12:04:54 PM

You could try a different slot, though it still sounds external to the PC to me. Worth a shot though...
November 10, 2012 8:47:56 AM

gamerk316 said:
You could try a different slot, though it still sounds external to the PC to me. Worth a shot though...

Hi, thanks for you getting back to me :) . I tried both methods but i got no results :( 

Any other suggestions?
January 7, 2013 9:21:08 AM

Resurrecting this thread, I still haven't found a solution, would love some more suggestions thanks.

(I'm the same guy by the way, I had to create a new username because I forgot my old one.)
!