Sign in with
Your question

PC starts on it's own!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 8, 2002 1:41:35 AM

My system is back up and running, but it's still starting back up on it's own after i shut it down.

I posted on other threads/forums but no one has a answer or suggestions don't fix it.

I checked the microsoft site and emailed them ,nada!

The only way i can shut it down is thru the button on the case,will this harm my pc by shutting it down this way?

I fdsk/format and trouble still happening.
I didn't install any virus/firewall this time and still rebooting on it's own.
There's nothing on this PC but the essentials..no win dvd no cd player nothing!

System
AMD 1.2 FSB 266
Raid 0
Gig MB 7DX
Win ME

I only came back here because i can't find any help with this problem : <

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Blue

" Soon My Friend , Soon...."

More about : starts

January 8, 2002 2:00:27 AM

Did u check the power options under control panel & BIOS?
January 8, 2002 3:29:07 AM

I went to control panel but can't find anything for bios,,steps?

Pleaseeeeeeee

Blue

Thanks

Related resources
January 8, 2002 4:27:27 AM

Well, first of all, does the system not function correctly other than not staying shut down? If it does, then leave it on. Don't worry about it.. hehe.. (scratches head) but that doesn't necessarily solve yer problem now does it? I found a shut down patch on the Microsoft site for Win98SE.. I think you said you were running ME? Try looking around on the MS site.... look for shut down patches or problems...

Ret
January 9, 2002 3:08:52 AM

To enter BIOS, power on computer, watch the monitor carefully, when u see something like "Press Del to enter setup" (something like that...) at the lower left hand corner, then just keep on pressing the "delete key" to enter BIOS/CMOS, and check the settings under power options.
January 9, 2002 4:40:45 AM

Oh yea.. and if "Delete" doesn't do it, then try the "F1" key.. some of the proprietary PCs have cover screens so that you don't see the boot text... and often not the "Setup" menu instruction (which is "Press F1/Delete to
Setup".

Ret
January 9, 2002 12:46:56 PM

Please read first post,thanks!

I did everything all over and still happening.geezzzzz!

In the advanced settings for Bios i see that ..."Numlock-boot up" is "ON"..could this be doing it? (please tell me yes)starting pc back up after i shut it down.

If not, maybe i'm installing the driver's in the wrong order, what should i install first, second and so on?

Thanks so much, i'll be back!

Deborah

January 9, 2002 5:05:02 PM

Numlock has nothing to do with it I'm afraid. It merely controls whether keyboard numlock is on or off when the machine is booted.

Just to clarify... Is your machine always restarting immediately when you choose to shutdown from START>SHUTDOWN in Win Me. Or is it booting by itself at a random time after shutting down?
January 9, 2002 6:06:35 PM

Blue ... do you have the computer connected to a UPS? (Uninterruptable Power Supply)

I have encountered situations in the past where a power surge caused a line fluctuation, and this in turn "woke-up" the UPS, sending power to the output, and causing it to boot any connected equipment. This can sometimes occur, especially if the PSU in the computer is weak or faulty, and/or incapable of handling the transfer time of the UPS.

If this is the case, you might also need to get your lines checked.

If you don't already have the system plugged into a UPS or a surge protector, I'd recommend it.

I've also seen some odd things happen with various keyboards connected to a system ... including spontaneous reboots out-of-the-blue.

Do you have a NIC (Ethernet) card installed in the computer? How about a broadband modem with a 24/7 connection?

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
January 9, 2002 6:22:29 PM

Hammerhead,

It always restarts immediately when i choose to shutdown from START>SHUTDOWN in Win Me

It clears cache when i shut down (and it does shut down) but right away(1 sec) it starts right back.

Thanks for replying : >

Any other suggestions?

I'm at the end of my rope trying to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Blue
Deborah

January 9, 2002 6:59:06 PM

Toejam

"If you don't already have the system plugged into a UPS or a surge protector, I'd recommend it."

Ok, I just removed the UPS and still happening, i even put it on it's own current by itself, still no good.

"I've also seen some odd things happen with various keyboards connected to a system ... including spontaneous reboots out-of-the-blue."

Yes someone told about the keyboard thingy, so i tried different keyboard and it's still happening.

"Do you have a NIC (Ethernet) card installed in the computer? How about a broadband modem with a 24/7 connection?"

Yes i have a NIC installed. My phone line is clean. I do stress test on my line all the time(i'm a tech with verizon)

Toejam,

I want to reinstall everything one more time(maybe i'm doing it in the wrong order or something) What order should i do everything?

Format
bios flash
cards
drivers
etc..

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply,THANKS!

Blue

January 9, 2002 7:11:40 PM

Forget software (for now), this is not a driver issue.

Disconnect Modem, NIC, Mouse, anything on serial, anything on parallel, anything on USB or Firewire or external SCSI.

Now shut-down (use the Windows, direction, and return keys on kbd).

Still rebooting by itself?
January 9, 2002 7:36:30 PM

Hammer,

I disconnected all things you mentioned, still rebooted right back up!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Blue

January 9, 2002 7:38:29 PM

Hmmm. Do you have Wake-On Lan disabled in the BIOS?

If you are going to try a reinstallation, first, I'd strip the system to the bare bones. Hard drives, video card, one stick of memory, etc. No extraneous devices or peripherals except a CD-ROM.

If you are going to flash the BIOS, create a backup copy of the old BIOS on a floppy disk, even with a dual-BIOS Giga-Byte board. Sometimes the backup BIOS isn't completely reliable. Then, you'll need a bootable floppy for the flash ... <A HREF="http://www.topqualityfreeware.com/bootdisk.shtml" target="_new">here's</A> where you can get the necessary files if one isn't handy.

Once you have the BIOS flashed, set everything at the Performance Defaults. Disable Plug and Play, and any APM features so that ACPI will be enabled by default in the OS. Disable the serial ports if not needed, to free up IRQ's. Disable the on-board audio (if the board has this option). If you have no PCI sound card, you can re-enable the on-board audio after the OS is successfully installed.

Next, the sequence:

BIOS Flash
FDISK
FORMAT

Install the OS.

Drivers:

DirectX 8.0a or 8.1
Latest Chipset drivers
Latest RAID controller drivers
Security patches and updates
Other hardware and drivers
Monitor driver
Video card driver

Note: I'd install the NIC card dead last ... just in case this is the device that is forcing the system to reboot.

Here's a <A HREF="http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnmez.htm" target="_new">link</A> to a WinME Shutdown and Restart Troubleshooter that might be helpful.

If none of this works, you might try swapping out the PSU. It's a long shot ... but what do you have to lose at this point? :tongue: :frown: :eek: 

If you need any additional help with the above, give us a yell.

Let us know what happens ...

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
January 9, 2002 9:11:30 PM

Toejam,

I just disconnected the NIC and same old problem.(put it back in)

Disconnected sound card, same problem, removed both cards ,same trouble : >

Cleaned inside really good(dust)

I checked power wire, no problems there.

Ok, i didn't check Wake -on Lan in the Bios( will check now)

I hope it's the Lan thingy, i would really be upset if i have to do everything all over again.

If it's not the Lan thingy i will do exactly as you said in the order you mentioned,Thanks so much for taking the time, very nice of you and the rest who replied.

As for the link "winME shutdown" i have been there for days , there's no mention of my problem( rebooting back up after shutdown and shutdown only) but i did try some of the suggestions : <

Thanks again
Blue
Later..........

January 9, 2002 9:37:32 PM

Well "wake on lan" is disabled, still rebooting back up : <

I will do everything later tonight, right now i need to put some of this hair that's on the floor back on my head!

I'm starving..later........

Thanks so much!

Blue

Anonymous
January 10, 2002 8:06:18 AM

Generally it's BIOS related, because I used to have something close it, but it was due to the Wake-Up on LAN or PCI modem feature (now I wish I could get it to work since I run a server in my house with my housemates...x_X...and I hate it when he has to knock on my door or come into my room just to start my computer, so that he and the others can use the internet... Murphy's Law),
I would disable all your power options in the BIOS settings
and all Wake On Features
If ME has it (this I am not sure of...because I have run Win2k and now XP Pro) there is settings in your device manager under modems and under Network Adapters that also control waking up of your system when there is activity. It will be in:
(I am thinking in Win2kPro/XP Pro mode, sorry..it should be close though)
Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Network Adapters (and/or Modems), (whatever NIC and/or modem you have), Properties, Power Management tab, uncheck all boxes

Now, I am not sure if this will work as well, since it boxes refer to bringing computers up from standby mode, but with the way that software is tempermental...(along with hardware), stranger things happen, but also do keep in mind with BIOS, do disable all power management settings there, along with this...it might help...

If not, I can look somemore

And as I believe as someone else had posted, do check Windows Update for the appropriate fixes as well, I can check the TechNet and knowledge bases for something that pertains to your problem, if I can find it, I'll post it here....

bai bai now!

Mario

"There are no problems....only solutions!"
Kevin Flynn - Walt Disney's Tron
January 10, 2002 10:27:53 AM

FYI - I get the impression that you think when you format the HD you have to flash the BIOS again? If you've flashed the BIOS in the past and there has not been a new flash come out, you do not need to flash it again. You do not lose this information when you format your HD... the info actually goes into the mobo..

Have you made any progress yet?

Ret
January 11, 2002 1:17:26 AM

Hello to all,

First i want to say thankyou to all who took the time to respond, THANKS A MILLION TIMES!

Poking around in the Bios was the first time for me, but with help from each and everyone of you i did it!( scary the first time)

I flashed the Bios first this time ,before anything else .

Then i went into the "power management" and disable one thing at a time, well it turned out to be the ...

"PME" Can someone tell me what "PME" stands for?

I thought i disabled this before,maybe i forgot to save and exit it *slaps myself* LOL

To all: May all your dreams and wishes come true !

Seriously, Thankyou so so much to all : >

I'm a happy camper : >>>>>>>>

Deborah

Yippppeeeeeeeeeee

ALSO THANKS TO THOSE AT "ANANDTECH" and "SHARKYSEXTREME"
" Soon My Friend , Soon...."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bluerain on 01/10/02 10:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 11, 2002 4:12:13 AM

Congratulations!

Take a look at this <A HREF="http://dnaugler.cs.semo.edu/gx100/docs/ug/intro.htm" target="_new">page</A>, and look for the information about Magic Packet, PME, and PBM. Basically, APM supports PME, and ACPI supports PBM.

I'm very happy to see that your problem is solved!

Toejam31

January 11, 2002 4:30:50 AM

Toejam,

Thanks for that link,very interesting1

I love to learn, it takes me awhile but i do pick it up after awhile.

Blue

January 11, 2002 6:07:25 AM

Hmmm... I would have really been scratching my head over this one myself. I wouldn't think the PME parameter had anything to do with it, since you removed the NIC and the computer still did the same thing. (From the link ToeJam supplied it seems the PME signal is received by the NIC; therefore removing it should have corrected the issue if it was the PME). It points more to a driver issue or possibly power supply. One quick question... did you happen to have Roxio EasyCD Creator 5 installed? I have heard of a shutdown issue with that piece of software installed and you must download a patch to fix it. I'm happy you're up and running; but I'm not fully convinced that was the problem.
January 11, 2002 6:38:53 AM

Zoron,
"Hmmm... I would have really been scratching my head over this one myself. I wouldn't think the PME parameter had anything to do with it, since you removed the NIC and the computer still did the same thing. (From the link ToeJam supplied it seems the PME signal is received by the NIC; therefore removing it should have corrected the issue if it was the PME). It points more to a driver issue or possibly power supply. One quick question... did you happen to have Roxio EasyCDCreator 5 installed? I have heard of a shutdown issue with that piece of software installed and you must download a patch to fix it. I'm happy you're up and running; but I'm not fully convinced that was the problem"

Yes, After i read that link i started to think about it ,and it's weird! (PME signal is received by the NIC)

I removed the NIC and it still rebooted up(go figure)

Then when i narrow it down to the PME just to make sure i turn it on and off 5 times to make sure that was the problem. Every time it would start up was when PME WAS on and when i disable it , poof, it work!.

The LAN is on and no trouble with that.

No Roxio EasyCDCreator 5 installed, matter of fact i haven't install any programs as of yet!

As for the power supply it's only 250 , seems not strong enough for this setup ,but that's what came with the system.

I'm very happy i'm up and running ,but i'm the type that wants to know the cause. Right now the only thing that's works is to disable the PME ,but it doesn't make sense being that the PME signal is received by the NIC.

Oh well..

Goodnight, late here in NYC

Blue

January 11, 2002 1:39:54 PM

I suppose the weirdest things can happen at times.. hehe..
If it works, we really can't argue, can we? I do suggest upgrading your power supply, however. 300W or better will do you good; especially if you add more components later on. Pretty much all new CPU cases come with at least a 300W power supply now.. I think only the big OEMs (Dell, Compaq, etc.) use smaller ones.
January 12, 2002 7:47:56 AM

This has been an interesting thread. Learned a lot here.

First thread I've ever seen where the problem was "My computer starts". :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
Anonymous
January 23, 2002 2:49:15 PM

I am also having same problem with my kids PC restarting after shutdown. It is interesting that this PC also has AMD processor and GB mobo. This PC seems to turn off, then restarts severel minutes later. If I turn off power to PC at the surge protector for a few minutes, PC does not restart. I will check BIOS settings as suggested. This did not occur before WinXP was installed.
January 23, 2002 5:35:45 PM

You might find this page to be helpful as you search for the source of the problem.

<A HREF="http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxpz.htm" target="_new">WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING</A>

Note: If you disable the “restart on system failure” feature, and the system shows you a blue screen with an error message, restart the system in Safe Mode, and post the entire message here. The first couple of 8-character sets of numbers are needed for for troubleshooting the error, as is any reference to a particular file.

Adding detailed system specifications to the same post would also be very helpful in determining the problem area.

Toejam31

!