Archos 43 windows 7 file sharing

Skiguy_nj

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hey - maybe you guys can help me out.
I have a Windows 7 Ultimate PC that has lots of music and videos on it.
I have an Archos 43 "tablet" that uses SMB (I believe) to access the local network.

When I was running XP - all was great. The tablet would find my workgroup and then from there, would find my computer and then, any files or folders I'd shared.

Under my Win7 - the only way I've been able to get the tablet to see the Win7 PC at all is via media-streaming.
I've been able to get that to work - on the tablet I go into UPNP and there's my shared media.
The funky thing is that of all my video-files - via UPNP I seem to be unable to see my DVD's (VOB files) - it's like the media-streaming is omitting these files.

I've been totally unsuccessful in getting the tablet to be able to see any file-shares. And have been unable to figure out a way around this.

Any thoughts on media-streaming and VOB files? Any thoughts on how to open up the file-sharing back to how XP handled it regarding my tablet?

Any help would be appreciated - I can't believe I have to go into Windows Registry to flip things to make this work - seems like I'm missing something obvious...

Skiguy_nj

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Never mind...

I spent more time searching after posting this question and eventually stumbled upon the answers:::
- that Microsoft intentionally disallows sharing of VOB files via Media-sharing/UPNP.

I guess they just have to be in control...

But elsewhere in my searches, I also found the solution to Win7 file-sharing issues with non-Win7 devices.

Apparently it's stuff you can fix in the security-policy editor - catch is, you have to find that in Win-7-Ultimate.
Fortunately - that was easy - just go to the "run" box in the start-menu and type in secpol.msc Presto, up came the security policy editor.

I went to Security Settings --> Local Policies --> Security Options.

Then scrolled down to "Network security:Minimum session security for NTLM SSP (including RPC based) Client"
And made sure both options were UN-checked (Require NTLMv2 Session Security and Require 128 Bit Encryption".

Next, go to “Network Security LAN Manager authentication level“
And reset it to: “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Last up is to check one setting in the Registry as follows:

1 . Open registry editor ( Start search – regedit)
2 . Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
3. Create a new DWORD value with the following properties:
NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel
VALUE: 1
4. Restart your PC and try the connection again…

I found this last setting to already be in my registry so perhaps some code was tightened up in Win7.

I restarted both my PC and my "tablet" - and presto - everything is working as it was under Win-XP.
My tablet shows SMB file-shares - clicking into it - I see my workgroups - clicking into there - I see my PC's.
Once I open my Win-7 PC - I see the drives/files - ones that I've shared with "everyone" are available directly through my tablet. One's that aren't shared prompt me for authentication to open.

Via file-sharing - my tablet has no problem accessing any file, including VOBs....