GTX 580 Superclocked Now Unrecognized

Lobby4

Honorable
May 5, 2012
A few specs first --
Mobo - ASUS Z68-V/GEN3
GPU - GTX 580 Superclocked
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200W

This is a brand new build -- at first the card was recognized and worked great, installed the drivers etc. Left it overnight then I spent maybe two hours gaming and suddenly the entire system powered down. When I restarted, I got a blank screen with no input. The onboard video on the mobo is working fine, but my card isn't even recognized in device manager anymore. I've tried two different PCIe slots, and both power connectors to the card are in place. When I boot with my monitor connected to the mobo output, the card fan spins at what sounds like 100% and doesn't slow down. Booting with the monitor plugged into the card's output still yields no signal but I get what seem like normal, idle fan speeds. What the heck is going on? (I don't have any other cards to plug into the mobo to test it)

Well the best easy way is to try the GPU in another PC and try another GPU in your PC.
Your PSU can power 4 GTX 580s in SLI, so i guess there's no problem with the PSU. And Toughpower exactly is the best in all NZXT series.

The two things I'd suspect given you checked all the usual suspects

1. PSU - It's a big PSU but a rather poor one, garnering just a 7.0 performance rating from jonnyguru.....I look for 10.0 when overclocking in the picture, 9.5 when not. I wouldn't put anything less than a 9.0 even in a budget non gaming PC. Build quality was also rated at just 6.0 I'd go no further before replacing it.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=243

2. The GFX card ...... I'd suspect either a bad transient spike from the PSU killed it or the card was just one of those odd bad ones.

Lobby4

Honorable
May 5, 2012
What would you say the usual suspects are just in case I forgot something? Also, I can't really afford a new psu and card right now, might have enough for a card. Do you think I could RMA the card? Finally, do you think the psu would kill a new card as well...