First build: Front panel no sound?

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
I have just finished my first build, everything seems to work except the front panel audio.

Specs:
NZXT Phantom 410
MSI Z77A-GD65
i5-3570k

I have plugged the "HD Aud" connector from the case into the "JAUD1" connector on the MB, even the "missing pin" aligns properly. I have also installed all drivers and updates including Realtek's HD Audio driver, but still has no sound from the front panel. How can I solve this problem/do further troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

If you still need it in my bios there is a section named advanced and in there look for south bridge configuration and there is something in there that says front panel it will say auto or disable click auto. hope it helped :)

rblenden

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
If you have sound from the rear jacks and no audio from the front then that would tell me that all the drivers and audio software is working as intended. It is probably just a simple wiring issue. According to the software, it should auto-recognize when a jack is inserted into any audio port. Does it do this when you plug headphones into the front panel?

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

Could you please explain how? I went to "Sound", where it had a whole list of devices. So far I've been using the audio jack from my Logitech G510, which when plugged in, was displayed on the list. When plugged out and into the front panel audio, it disappears and nothing new appears. The green tick now goes to "Realtek Digital Output", and there's no sound from my earphones.

I might still need this, please and thank you! :)

Go back to Sound, Right click and un-select "Show Disconnected Devices" if it isn't already.

Then just plug your speaker into the front and methodically set the devices as default, right click on the current default device and use "test", this'l play a little chime through the device. If it works, perfect. If it doesnt, default the next device and test it.

if all of them don't work, I'l admit I dont know. May have to do the BIOS route like xXmjzXx suggested.

xXmjzXx

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

If you still need it in my bios there is a section named advanced and in there look for south bridge configuration and there is something in there that says front panel it will say auto or disable click auto. hope it helped :)

Solution

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
In the end after twiddling around for 2 hours, I think the biggest problem was that the wire was not plugged in properly to the mobo.

No matter how hard i pushed, the plug didn't budge, so I assumed it was properly connected. Then later I unplugged it completely and re-plugged it, there was a firm but gentle snap even without applying much force, I think that was the signal that it was ACTUALLY properly plugged in :S

After that it only played system sounds, but I got that fixed and that's another story entirely. Thanks guys :)