Sign in with
Your question

Would an upgrade be worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2012 12:32:56 PM

Here is some quick system specs to start off before I ask my question:

16 gigs corsair ram
i5 2500k (not oced)
evga 560ti (fermi) superclocked edition. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The thing I have a question about is the video card. I was thinking of SLIing but the current one I have is out of stock and has been for some time. I think at one point it was in a no longer going to carry state. Should I even bother spending the money on this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ? Will this video card SLI with the other ok even though they are slightly different?

Also.. like i asked earlier. Should I even be upgrading at this point or just wait till later? Is there the potential problem of not finding the right video card a couple of years down the road?

More about : upgrade worth

a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 12:46:33 PM

Well, there's no problem SLI this card with the first, actually they are the same but with different cooling designs. And it's always ok to SLI/CF 2 cards from different brands as long as they are the same model and specs.

After 2 years you might not find that GTX 560ti, and there will be something more powerful that will let you consider an upgrade. So it depends on your needs if you see that the single card is not sufficient for your gaming get another one, you'll get a good boost in performance, Also you need to OC that CPU.
May 6, 2012 12:52:43 PM

Lol, I actually am looking at cpu cooling right this second. Will I see all that improved preformance? The most demanding games I play are skyrim and SC2.. Which already get destroyed. I guess I'd see the pay off in later generations of games.

Oh, i have a 750 watt power supply. Forgot to mention that. Still safe to OC and SLI?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 12:53:34 PM

You should be able to SLI the two cards successfully. Also, unless you have some specific performance issue you are trying to correct by SLI'ing the cards, Then you really don't NEED to upgrade at this time. If you wait till later, then the cards available then will have better features, and power utilization. I would wait.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 12:57:12 PM

dagnis said:
Lol, I actually am looking at cpu cooling right this second. Will I see all that improved preformance? The most demanding games I play are skyrim and SC2.. Which already get destroyed. I guess I'd see the pay off in later generations of games.

Oh, i have a 750 watt power supply. Forgot to mention that. Still safe to OC and SLI?

Well, Skyrim is a CPU whore, overclocking your CPU will give you more FPS and more smooth games. GTX 560ti is also overkill for SC2, but if you're gonna play Crysis 2 or metro 2033 @ ultra settings you're gonna be disappointed :p 

Yes. It's very sufficient
May 6, 2012 1:11:50 PM

Ok. I guess it also is future proofing..
a c 236 U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 1:38:36 PM

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

If you are cpu bound, upgrade the cpu. (not likely)

If you want more graphics power, either for higher FPS or more eye candy, then upgrade the graphics card.

To my mind, I would see if I could snag a GTX680 and sell the GTX560ti.

A problem with sli is that you will need a 700w psu, and not all games scale well with sli.

May 6, 2012 2:15:50 PM

I guess i'm not aiming to solve any problem. Just wondering if it's a wise decision and worth it before it's too late and I won't be able to.
!