Upgraded GT8600 to GT 440 with new PSU need help

Hello.

This is my first question on this community.
2 days ago, my videocard GT 8600 died. I made the choice to buy a new one in a store that is close to where i live.
I think i made mistake with the PSU, and i really hope it is not a huge problem.

I bought a GT 440 1024MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0.
I also bought with it at the same store a PSU: 370 W PSU big fan.
PSU info:
+3.3V, +5V, +12V, -12V, +5V
14A, 30A, 15A, 0.8A, 2A
180W, 180W, 12W, 10W

Now i replaced my own old PSU for the first time, and it went well!
I now sometimes have problem starting the computer, and i had to start it with my OnBoard videocard a few times to delete some drivers. Now i tried some gaming, like kingdom of amalur, counterstrike, blades of time, it all works perfect except for 1 game, the game i played the most and i love the most, has stopped working.
This game is might and magic heroes VI. When i open the game, the screen shuts itself down for 2-3 seconds, and then i have to close the game with ctrl-alt-del. Then a message appears that the driver display has stopped and recovered with an error on a file named: nvlddmkm. Now i have searched some info, and i found that this is being caused by TDR. It only affects this game i love th most. When i look at the package of my GT 440 it says it needs a minimum of 300W PSU, and i have bought 370W. The problem i saw next was that the GT 440 says it needs 22 Amps on the +12V rail. However, my PSU has only 15 Amps instead of 22 Amps on the +12V rail. Can this be the problem why might and magic isnt working? Is the videocard to much for this PSU i bought?
Can this problem be fixed if i buy a better PSU with minimum 22 Amps on the +12v rail ? It is my first time so i dont know much about PSU. I hope u can help me guys. If u need some more info, i will do my best to provide it.

My computer information:

Motherboard ASUS P5VD2-VM (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5VD2VM/)
operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338)
Language: Dutch (Regional Setting: Dutch)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1206MB used, 3123MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 440
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DE0&SUBSYS_14413842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1759 MB
Dedicated Memory: 993 MB
Shared Memory: 766 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Acer X233H
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 8.17.0012.6658 (English)
DDI Version: 11
BGRA Supported: Yes
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Good day.
3 answers Last reply
More about upgraded gt8600 help
  1. yes a power supply that provides enough amps will fix your problem
  2. Why would you think it could run on something that doesnt meet the MINIMUM requirements? Im guessing the PSU is also probably not a very good one. Next time buy what you are supposed to and dont make your PSU your biggest budget purchase.
  3. Well i saw it after i bought it. I only looked at the minimum Watt, not the minimum Amps needed on that trail, as it was my first time. The store wont give me my money back, but i can go back and exchange it for another one. If i add some more money i can get a better one. So all i need to do is buy a better PSU then with a minimum of 22 Amps ? I would also like to know if it is bad for my computer if i play the games that i mentioned above, even thou they work fine, if i dont meet the minimum Amps ?
    Is it bad even if i turn on my computer while i dont have the minimum Amps ?
    Thank you very much for helping me out!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics