Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My last upgrade was 10 years ago help

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 30, 2012 4:20:50 AM

Hey all,

I'm kind of out dated with the new advances in the DIY world and would like some help with a much needed new build. I'm currently running a Pentium 4 with an AGP video card on a microATX with 2gigs of ram max. My budget is around $1400.

Approximate Purchase Date: No rush
Budget Range: $1400 - $1500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multi tasking watching videos, surfing the net, and some video games.
Parts Not Required: Storage HD, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: U.S.A.
Country: U.S.A
Parts Preferences: Intel, Asus Mobo
Overclocking:No
SLI or Crossfire:No
Monitor Resolution:1024x768
Additional Comments:I would like my build to be as quiet as possible and not much of a power hog. I'm also in interested in your opinions on computer case and air cooling. All I really ask for in a computer case is that it has a good cable management system with the psu mount on the bottom and without a door that covers the cd rom drive. I'm dead set on using an air cooling system mainly because I do not plan on overclocking my cpu. Even though those all in one water coolers have its benefits, I rather not risk liquid in my system as I do not know whether or not the tubing might crack from inclement changes in temperatures.

This is what I have laid out so far:

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower
LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3
ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card
HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

More about : upgrade years ago

June 30, 2012 4:33:03 AM

The i5-3450 is another option.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 30, 2012 4:47:24 AM

Thanks, I do dabble in a bit of video editing, so I rather go with an i7. I may start gaming so I rather spend the extra money now than later :) 
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 30, 2012 4:53:14 AM

if you are not going to overclock then you defiantly do not need that CPU or motherboard!
Intel Core i5 3550 $209.98
Asus P8H77-V $130.99
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB $45.99
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB $419.99
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W $89.99
SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256D/AM 2.5" 256GB $269.99
COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper $149.99
ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner $84.99

$1401.91

ok, i went way overboard on the case . . . and there is no need to get a cheap sound card, the onboard is good enough compared to cheap cards when listening to MP3s.
m
0
l
Anonymous
June 30, 2012 4:54:33 AM

rj808x said:
Thanks, I do dabble in a bit of video editing, so I rather go with an i7. I may start gaming so I rather spend the extra money now than later :) 

if you dabble an i5 is enough. if your a professional then get an i7.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 4:58:29 AM

i have that mb the sabertooth and that ram. you dont need a sound card unless your going to record high end audio or your going to hook it into a receiver .

the case you want to look at are one like the antec one case or this case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
they have a large open back plate so you dont have to remove the mb if you have to remove the after market heat sink.
they also have opening or grommets to pass the power and sata cables under the tray to the mb.
low fan noise is from buying a good fans that can spin at slow speeds..the larger the fan the slower it can run and still move out the heat. depending on the fan cable lengths and your case you may have to buy a few case fan cable extension.
also check the case hight and the hight of the cpu cooler..not all case fan fit those tall heat sinks.
the most noise from your system will be the small 40mm fans on the sabertooth mb if you leave them on auto they will max out at 4000 rpm. get a nice high pitch sound from them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/plushdragon/1206...
you dont need them to cool your mb off. there good to have but set them to manule so you can set the temp for when they come on and that you can turn them off.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 8:34:15 PM

smorizio said:
i have that mb the sabertooth and that ram. you dont need a sound card unless your going to record high end audio or your going to hook it into a receiver .

the case you want to look at are one like the antec one case or this case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
they have a large open back plate so you dont have to remove the mb if you have to remove the after market heat sink.
they also have opening or grommets to pass the power and sata cables under the tray to the mb.
low fan noise is from buying a good fans that can spin at slow speeds..the larger the fan the slower it can run and still move out the heat. depending on the fan cable lengths and your case you may have to buy a few case fan cable extension.
also check the case hight and the hight of the cpu cooler..not all case fan fit those tall heat sinks.
the most noise from your system will be the small 40mm fans on the sabertooth mb if you leave them on auto they will max out at 4000 rpm. get a nice high pitch sound from them.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/plushdragon/1206...
you dont need them to cool your mb off. there good to have but set them to manule so you can set the temp for when they come on and that you can turn them off.


Thanks, i will leave out the sound card from my list. What are your thoughts of the sabertooth Mobo? I was also checking out Asus' more expensive motherboards but was drawn more to the design of the sabertooth rather than the extra bells and whistles like the onboard wifi.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 12:44:31 AM

it a well build board for the money i spent (ordered it the first day it dropped). the other board will save you a usb or a pci slot for the wifi card if you use one. (im hard wired to my cable modem). the board been very stable as long as i dont try and run the mvp software..the software is very buggy with nvidia new 30x drivers. board runs great if you need three monitors and want to use the sb or ib video chipset. some people dont like the raid setup of this mb..the control i raid screen is older text bases screen. i do love the dust covers for the slots you dont use..keeps the dust out of the mb and protects the slots..you will need a screw driver with a magnetic tip...if you drop a screw and it falls under the cover of the mb...grrrrrrr it a pain to get it out.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 3:20:48 AM

eternalgrace said:
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This cpu cooler should be better than the one you have and it comes with a free hard drive cooler.

That cpu and mobo is way too much if you only going to surf web or watch videos.

Intel i5 is enough for you.


Even the i3 would be enough.
Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


True, but I have a friend who received an i7 as a gift but he has no use for it, so he's willing to sell it to me for $200. Kind of hard for me not to take it for that price. So i'm getting an i7 regardless. :D 

I checked out that Noctua, but from what I read it's pretty big and it may not fit the case. From what I understand, those high performance air coolers should be for those wanting to OC their cpus, which is why I picked a less expensive, better than stock cooler option.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 3:25:44 AM

rj808x said:
Hey all,

I'm kind of out dated with the new advances in the DIY world and would like some help with a much needed new build. I'm currently running a Pentium 4 with an AGP video card on a microATX with 2gigs of ram max. My budget is around $1400.

Approximate Purchase Date: No rush
Budget Range: $1400 - $1500
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Multi tasking watching videos, surfing the net, and some video games.
Parts Not Required: Storage HD, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: U.S.A.
Country: U.S.A
Parts Preferences: Intel, Asus Mobo
Overclocking:No
SLI or Crossfire:No
Monitor Resolution:1024x768
Additional Comments:I would like my build to be as quiet as possible and not much of a power hog. I'm also in interested in your opinions on computer case and air cooling. All I really ask for in a computer case is that it has a good cable management system with the psu mount on the bottom and without a door that covers the cd rom drive. I'm dead set on using an air cooling system mainly because I do not plan on overclocking my cpu. Even though those all in one water coolers have its benefits, I rather not risk liquid in my system as I do not know whether or not the tubing might crack from inclement changes in temperatures.

This is what I have laid out so far:

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower
LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II
OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W ATX 12V v2.3
ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Xonar DG Sound Card
HIS H785F2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card


This setup is very close to my own, except that I overclock, so I have the 3770k.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 3:30:17 AM

earl45 said:
This setup is very close to my own, except that I overclock, so I have the 3770k


Out of curiosity, did you choose the Rosewill Blackhawk gaming mid tower for your case? I'm not 100% on what case to get, but I would appreciate some insights or opinions on a good case :) 
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 3:34:00 AM

The Tempest 210 has the airflow of the HAF 912 at a cheaper price, plus it has USB 3.0.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 3:43:48 AM

azeem40 said:
The Tempest 210 has the airflow of the HAF 912 at a cheaper price, plus it has USB 3.0.

I'll look into it, thanks :) 
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 5:52:23 AM

rj808x has the right idea but is wasting money by the sound of things, the build by what you want to use it for and how much it is... downgrade!!!
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 8:03:58 AM

aking93 said:
rj808x has the right idea but is wasting money by the sound of things, the build by what you want to use it for and how much it is... downgrade!!!


I don't upgrade frequently at all, so i'm trying to build a system that will be relevant 10 years from now. As in my earlier post I managed to get by with my previous build, but now there's a few games I would like to play such as Battle Field 3, but that's not going to be possible at the moment. This is my new build in a decade, so I might as well go all out with a $1400 - $1500 budget lol
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 2:39:46 PM

rj808x said:
Out of curiosity, did you choose the Rosewill Blackhawk gaming mid tower for your case? I'm not 100% on what case to get, but I would appreciate some insights or opinions on a good case :) 


No I purchased the CM Storm Trooper and then CM Cosmos 2.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 1, 2012 4:45:50 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
you want to look at a case that has wire managment (where you can tuck some of the wires behind the mb tray).
also if you have to use a long video card there nothing blocking it or the hard drive bay can come out.
if you do use a case with the ps on the bottom make sure it has a dust grill. or can have one. you dont want your power supply sucking something up from the carpet. most people with mod power supply flip them over so that the fan is blowing into the case..why would you want more hot air going into the case?? some people love blue led and lighting for there case. if you want that then pick up a case with a window. my money is on case with pull fan in front and two in the back as exit fans. (connected to the mb or a good fan controller.) find a case with large 200mm fans it be almost silent. as the fans will be running a low rpm.
Share
July 1, 2012 11:32:56 PM

rj808x said:
Out of curiosity, did you choose the Rosewill Blackhawk gaming mid tower for your case? I'm not 100% on what case to get, but I would appreciate some insights or opinions on a good case :) 


What is your budget on the case? Do you plan on using it a long time or switching it to new case after a while? If you do plan on using your case for a long time, I would suggest you buy a good case instead of a mediocre case.

Some good case I would recommend you.

Antec Nine Hundred - old but still good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Phantom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anything below here is pretty expensive but very good case, but I don't really think you need them.

COOLER MASTER HAF X- the one i am using, still pretty good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SilverStone RAVEN
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake Level 10 GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 12:11:35 AM

The HAF XM is a better deal as it has the cooling level of the X.
m
0
l
July 8, 2012 11:27:47 PM

eternalgrace said:
What is your budget on the case? Do you plan on using it a long time or switching it to new case after a while? If you do plan on using your case for a long time, I would suggest you buy a good case instead of a mediocre case.

Some good case I would recommend you.

Antec Nine Hundred - old but still good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Phantom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anything below here is pretty expensive but very good case, but I don't really think you need them.

COOLER MASTER HAF X- the one i am using, still pretty good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SilverStone RAVEN
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermaltake Level 10 GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I was planning on using the same case for the next 10+ years, but would prefer a mid-size case. I was looking around under $120.
m
0
l
July 19, 2012 5:27:53 AM

Best answer selected by rj808x.
m
0
l
!